DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did this one last week.

1490338761_dji_0015_1.jpg

After many months of deliberation and humming and harring,
I am now wanting to take the plunge.
I ask any one who owns either a Mavic or Phantom Pro
or Phantom 4 what they really think of their Drone.
To me either one of these fantastic machines are on even par
with the Mavic being the winner in ease of transportation.
The Phantom Plus to me is the more stable of the two but
naturally is a lot bigger and also has more collision avoidance.
If you were stuff between a hard rock and a place,
Which one would you go for. ??
I am a bit suspicious that the Mavic may be due for an
upgrade soon with the extra sensor features like the Phantom Pro.
Or toss the lot in and get an Inspire 1. LOL

An old saying comes to mind TathraDJ....better to have and not need, than the alternative.. ;)

Or even,...Buy as much as you can afford....because it's the poor man who pays twice.... :Y:

Me?...i'm too broke to buy cheap, so i am often waiting to get the item while saving that bit extra.. :8

It will come down to a few things though,....namely (like detectors), the amount of use, and for what purpose....If operating in the vicinity of population or buildings, what 'redundancies' do you have on board with your avionics...are you after FPV (in the cockpit experience) and if so, do you have a 'spotter' to be with you at all times?

How flexible is the platform, should factories close, parts no longer made etc....ie; closed proprietary systems suffer this most.

If you haven't, perhaps check out the regs, and see if any of those conflict with what you are wanting to do, this may impact on aircraft size (if you desire to 'monetize' the results eg; You-Tube posts etc) you may operate... www.maaa.asn.au/

I have no knowledge of the Mavic, and the DJI range has had problems in the past...although they are quick to respond to any 'legal' changes ie; 5x mile(?) lockout near airports, and s/w updates etc.

I like the form of the Inspire...but others offer similar function...

With the plethora of options today, good luck in your final choice... 8)

Gypsy

Cant help with any of them Tathradj but I am very happy with the Phantom 3 standard I recived recently from my wife as a birthday gift its my first drone and I found it easy to fly and images are great so the pro or 4 should be even better

Thanks for your replies.
Yes, Quality is a consideration,
Will be used quite a bit to suss my mates out on the field. LOL
I am highly aware of the rules and regs. Done some proper piloting in my early years,
I have waited this long as most of the bugs would have been ironed out by now.
Ease of use without relying on software all the time is a big advantage.
I will not be relying to much on Auto Nav especially if you have no control over it.
FPV Goggles, Well, A nice addition but illegal to use.

Tathradj, I am a newbie to the drone scene, but so far can't say anything bad about the Mavic that I received a few months ago, but as I have only acquired "toy" units in the past, my comments can only relate to the Mavic.

The video and photo quality is excellent and it allows you to capture images that you may have only dreamed of as a young bloke. But, while the basic operation is excellent, there is so much other functionality available that it will take me years to learn some of it and some perhaps never.

The "smarts" built into the drone make it easy for a novice to get up and running quickly, but very early try and understand more functionality than you hope or expect to be able to use, such as the Return to Home, use of gimble tilt, and when it is best to watch the drone versus when to watch the screen. I have yet to use so much that I am itching to get out in the wide open spaces and play with some of those features, as I am very wary regarding the regulations associated with where you can and can't fly.

Size and weight was a very important factor for me, as I didn't want to lug around a "suitcase" and the Mavic fits that criteria to a tee.

If you were a bit closer I would let you have a play, but I am heading west next week, not north east.

Rob P.

Somebody keeps flying thier drone over our acreage...around our chook pen and sometimes just hovers about 20mtrs and looks around...This has happened 3 times in the last week...I go out to it and it flys over the trees and out of sight.....Now i dont care about people flying there drones over our property but when it keeps lingering around i feel this is a concern...So if you live on the outskirts of Caboolture and are flying a red drone around peoples property's. Can you please stop....as i dont know who you are or what your up to...NO MORE MR NICE GUY
1492657021_screenshot_20170420-124547_crop_432x353-800x654.jpg

That approach can only end in misery for both of you.... :(

Hopefully other locals will know who's behind it and why.
Perhaps you missed a local announcement in the paper?

Could be any number of explanations,...

Haha...It is illegal to fly a drone within 50mtrs of a private dwelling..not to mention invasion of privacy.....Local council knows nothing a bout it...So no missery for me Gga...Except the loss of 1 shell :Y: :Y:

GypsyGoldAu said:

Yeah he could be a pervert....... he could be looking at your stuff to rob you ........or he could be looking for a crop to pinch :eek:
All in all shoot it down Smoky :eek: :lol: :lol: It's an invasion of personal privacy and there is no excuse :eek: Take no prisoners :eek:

Sorry B5....it's just not that simple where the laws concerned.

RC 'aircraft' fall under the realm of the CAA and it is an offence to shoot at what they claim are 'AIRCRAFT'..

I understand the concerns, but in most cases (~ 95% iirc) are not perverts scoping a freebie.....

Believe me, this scenario has played out on a few continents now, and it is just not the best way to handle it.

The beast in me does see the funny side, but reality poses different parameters than what our humor is drawn from. I am only trying to short-circuit possible pain for Smoky...nor am i a proponent of proximity flight as noted. The pilot already has dirty hands, but two wrongs won't be the end of it for either...imo.

'Invasion of Privacy'....very hard to prove in a court of law, eg; planes and helicopters flying over etc, and doesn't warrant taking the law into your own hands, however, malicious damage to personal property much easier to prove after the fact...

Food for thought...

(google 'man shoots drone'...)

B5MECH said:
GypsyGoldAu said:

Yeah he could be a pervert....... he could be looking at your stuff to rob you ........or he could be looking for a crop to pinch :eek:
All in all shoot it down Smoky :eek: :lol: :lol: It's an invasion of personal privacy and there is no excuse :eek: Take no prisoners :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y: ..I like the way you think B5..Ive asked the neighbours and they have seen it also and they dont know what its doing...its not just looking around the yards it blatant spying...it came right up to the back fence and hovered there until i ran outside...then it flew away...So im more than sure its a private drone...Maybe kids just having fun...maybe somthing more sinister...Either way if it comes back neighbours are expecting a bang :Y: :Y:

Correct Gypsy.
I did remove a post up there about shooting down drones with firearms.
No need to repeat what has already been said.
Don't forget, These drones are fitted with Camera's and even though the operator is
doing the wrong thing, They would have the footage of being shot down.
I would place a sign in plain view and also state you have involved the local constabulary.
It is a bad thing about the drone invading you like that but shooting one down
is going to turn into a very bad thing for all concerned.
As a Moderator I should remove the above image but to get the message across, I will leave it there for now.
I fully have empathy for your situation but you just incriminated your self if any thing goes wrong.

GypsyGoldAu said:
Sorry B5....it's just not that simple where the laws concerned.

RC 'aircraft' fall under the realm of the CAA and it is an offence to shoot at what they claim are 'AIRCRAFT'..

I understand the concerns, but in most cases (~ 95% iirc) are not perverts scoping a freebie.....

Believe me, this scenario has played out on a few continents now, and it is just not the best way to handle it.

The beast in me does see the funny side, but reality poses different parameters than what our humor is drawn from.

'Invasion of Privacy'....very hard to prove in a court of law, eg; planes and helicopters flying over etc, however, malicious damage to personal property much easier to prove after the fact...

Food for thought...

(google 'man shoots drone'...)
Sounds like your lawyer will cost you more an hour than the drone was to buy :eek: mine won't cost a cent and the B5 Law Institute will win :lol:
Are you going to pull the line ....I was going to get a sausage from Bunnings :lol: :lol: It won't work
Would be cheaper for the owner to write the drone off.... learn a lesson about peoples privacy.... and go buy a new one :rolleyes: :lol:
Or they can waste 10's of thousands of dollars and wasting their time in court over a remote control toy :lol: :Y:

Yes,... i have a smidgen of an understanding of Privacy laws, due to a past career...No lawyer fees.

As noted, i see the funny side, and i fly multi's myself,... and this is not the way i would approach the problem.

Tathradj covered the rest... :Y:

(Btw B5,,,you too are now open to charges of 'incitement'....were one to seriously take this conversation on face value...)

Yes, it IS a bit of a reach, like it is ALSO a very real 'possibility'....one you care to gamble on?

Just trying to protect folks here... :8

P.S....if it is just kids,...what will they then do next, to get you back for shooting down their toy? Just the way kids are... you could be opening a whole world of misery easily avoided... 8)

Alright i didnt meen to start a debate :eek: ...But gypsy recording people in there house is a big no no in my book wether your using a drone or just standing at someones window with a recorder...I am legally aloud to discharge firearms on my property...I do not condone shooting at aircraft....This is a drone and is being used for inappropriate purposes ...on my land...If it went to court....which im sure it wouldnt...I think the judge would have seen my point....This hasnt happened just once....Its a reoccurring offence...I do thank you for your concerns :Y: :D ....But this would be the best outcome for all involved.....(Just a lost drone..)....Lets just hope it dosnt come back :Y: Sorry Tathradj please remove all my posts if you need to... :Y:

Latest posts