DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is Doug,...many of these multi's only have a shortish flight time (improving, but avg. 20min) & also have 'issues' (pilot or elect/mechanical) and sometimes when they come down (hard), the batteries burst into flames...so maybe not as rhetorical as you may imagine. The PWS may just want to play it safe and that 'may' also include the airspace above for that very reason?

If you were to fly @ 1000' in a Cessna, then you have 'authorization' via a 'Licenced' pilot....cheaper to get the UAV ticket for yourself imo. ;)

Just saying...where bureaucrats are concerned... ]:D

I just got my ARN, which is a simple process.
Then I applied to "CASA about your intention to fly a remotely piloted aircraft (drone) weighing fewer than two kilograms (sub-2kg) for hire or reward".
Again simple.
Got an email back saying 'RPAS Notification Confirmation'
I thought there were going to be heaps more hurdles than this???

Good to hear Simmo,..yeah, the Reg's have been toned down and made 'accessible' unlike the first drafts...

Show us ya work when you get out. :Y:

I will mate, its just a fake set up at a mates place that wants shots of his house.
I want to see if CASA are going to show up on the day or what?? Just sussing it all out!

drones...yup, heaps of fun. Ive got eachine wizard, bb2, lil parrot mini and a couple cheapie rtf ones .... BUT, heed my advice and dont take em out in high winds... Was feeling game in strong winds the other day, took it up the oval at a local school.. instead of the normal place (no trees, fences buildings)... and of course the wind got it trying to land and took it over the security fence.... Me feeling 21 jumped the fence, retrieved my drone, but going back over the fence, my foot didnt like my footwear of choice, thongs, or the 110kg landing on it... and exploded.! ... I cant walk for 4-6 months and am flat on my back 23 hours a day with my heel bone in pieces.

Drones are fun AF but lol

ballarat_gold...sounds like you now need a nCPx or similar to keep your eye/hand in.

Also good for the mind, and more fun than a sim...just mind the pets lol.

(sorry to hear about your ails though.. :( )

lol, i told the missus i'd have to find another one to fly 'indoors' now...... You can imagine her response :(

Personally, i havent liked any of the sims ive tried either.. DRL and FPV i didnt think much of

I haven't used any 'multi' sims, though i do have one bookmarked for later use. If i find it i will pass it on.

[edit]... have a look here & also read the 'Comments' re; sims... https://oscarliang.com/free-quadcopter-simulator-drone-multirotor-trainer/

I learned my stick control on a Pheonix (Heli/Plane) sim, which now also has a 'few' multi's on it.

I haven't picked the Tx up for 6-8 mnths now..been busy with other 'projects'...

If you get a bnf 'micro' of some sort...get one with a 'Safe/Accro' mode...and while laid up and getting skills, just use the 'Safe' mode while indoors.

When ya feel like letting it ripppp....get the wife to push the wheelchair up to the school playgrounds... just be ready for 'ACCRO" 'cos it becomes a wild ride at the beginning :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

GypsyGoldAu said:
What sort of platform will you be using?

Ive got a multiwii Scarab with gimbal and gopro mate.

Scarab_Quad_0122__14611.1352730707.480.480.jpg

:D :Y: :Y: :Y:

Jealous now....i've had my eye on MWC for about 2.5 - 3 yrs...and was about to pop on a 270 Knife before i spent my funds on the business instead.

I will eventually have one, but likely as a Hex or Octo....'maybe' a Y6...

Very flexible platform and AUSSIE MADE!!!!! Yaaaaa.

Now i am definitely looking out for the results.

A forum with MWC info here;.. http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=481974&highlight=scarab

or,... http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=405601&highlight=multiwiicopter

and,... http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=335834&highlight=multiwiicopter

Same site, different threads...use the search feature for even more. That is a US based forum, but you can also find Aussie info., here;...
http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=694

When doing a search in the last link, look for username 'DEET'...he is/was a tester for MWC, and also has a Y-tube channel... ;)

Here is his 'extended' running thread from early days...

http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=157405

Gypsy

Simmo,..i'm also curious to your avionics....what Tx/Rx's do you use, and did you go with the Paris?,...or something else?

GypsyGoldAu said:
Simmo,..i'm also curious to your avionics....what Tx/Rx's do you use, and did you go with the Paris?,...or something else?

Hi Mate
Nah the f/c is the Naza, I find it great. I've played around with different boards for ages and had to learn the hard way about programming the actual F/C and then the aircraft with pids etc.
Going to a board like the naza made everything sooo much easier! I do one day want to play with one of the open source f/c's like the Open Pilot cc3d, they look really cool and have come a long way with all the input from more pilots as the hobby gets bigger.

My transmitter is a futaba T8J. (and matching RX). Again, a quality unit and comes from Multiwii fully programmed, but easy to get into the menu's to adjust end limits and stuff. Much easier than learning the hard way programming up the whole lot like throttle curves and mixes on my earlier hobbyking tx's!!!

Thanks Simmo...I have both proprietary and open source myself with a preference for the os platform.

Cheers

Just a quick comment for those planning to get a DJI Mavic, the supplied Micro SD, of 16gb, is fine for taking quite a few photos, but will not give you a lot of storage for video. The Mavic supports a 64gb Micro SD, so I would be getting at least one of them, to minimise the number of times that you need to download to a computer.

Rob P.

Ramjet can you recommend a drone in the $500 range thats ok for a beginner with some quality for the cost I know its a low starting price but have to start somewhere Looking foward to some feed back from all as I have had nothing to do with them at all

Latest posts