DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ramjet said:
I was amazed at how easy it is to fly the P4 and the Mavic has the same systems. You will be OK. When you let go of the controls it just stops and hovers. I almost smashed mine into a tree when I had a play with sports mode. It was really going fast and I let go of the controls but it kept on motoring. Missed a tree by THAT much. :8

I guess that means the P4 have the same object avoidance stuff, and sports mode meant it was off? Did you get and keep the video of that? Not sure that the speed/sport mode stuff is my thing, but you never know.

Now I just have to wait "patiently" and look for some more online "tutorials".

Rob P.

Yes to all of that. In sport mode there is no GPS or avoidance capability. Yes I have the video and didn't realize just how close it was until I watched it at home. I don't ned the sport mode either but had to test it out. I have actually slowed down the responsiveness of all my controls to get smoother video.
I bought a $30 set of the FPV goggles but never used them. Not my thing either.

The avoidanse feature is pretty cool. You can fly it full throttle at a wall and it will just stop and hover. Don't try it though... watch youtube is safer.

OK.
DJI Mavic is now hitting the scene.
Have watched a few Tube Video's, read a lot of reviews both for and against.
Seem's like it is the go.
Has a long range,
Long Flight time,
Intelligent,
etc.
Best thing I like is it's compact size for transporting.
Any one have one yet. ?
If so, does it live up to it's purported reputation. ?
If all the planets line up and some one has one available, I will purchase within 2 weeks.
Right in time for Hill End. LOL

I dont think they are in stores yet but it will be soon.
A little less flight time and slightly less video quality to the Phantom 4. I would definately buy one for its convenience of transport if i didn't already have the p4.

This guy makes videos for a living so his comments are worth listening to.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/sw4jDjYnR0U[/video]

Yes I have seen reports on this story. Clown.

In other news, Go Pro have sent a recall for their Karma drone. Not a good thing.

Meanwhile in Maitland... a stormy sunset last night. The image is grainy because it is a screen shoot taken from video. I need to learn better settings for darker conditions. Plus I had a fairly dark filter on... last minute decision to fly when I saw the lightning.

1478677122_stormy1a.jpg

Mackka said:
RJ how high is that thing and yeah a great photo.

Actually I didn't look at the height when I took that pic. Max height set by CASA and programmed into my drone is 120 metres but it wasn't that high. Maybe half that, I really don't know. Just punched the throttle until the image looked good. ;)

So has anyone else tried to to get a sausage from bunnings with their drone like the bloke in the news tonight l couldn't stop laughing . :lol: :lol:

Ramjet said:

Rightly so also .......................... not saying he should be fined that amount but certainly educated as to how many bad scenarios he could have created due to the "gag"
Most of the bunnings snag tents I've seen are usually surrounded by many children :|

Had a mate fired up one in his lounge and it headed towards his young daughter .................. in a protective action he swiped it like a fly with his hand away from her but the laceration to his finger from one of the props has ensured he would never operate one again near his kids. Funny part is this blokes nickname is "snags" :D
In actual fact it never flew again as his instinct to protect her was so hard it bounced of the wall in bits. :D

Ramjet said:
He did the wrong thing for sure. Broke many of the rules. Too close to people and buildings plus he flew over populous areas.

Yes it's the to close to people that I think CASA may bang him for if anything, as that's the real one their not happy about.

Ramjet said:
Probably have to make an example of him as it was very public.

Too right. And it goes to show that CASA have people looking at youtoob etc to find these.
I think they are looking at 3 violations with fines up to $9000 EACH!
We will see.....

Order placed late Sept for Mavic Pro with expected delivery Oct 24th. I have now been advised after twisting their arm that they are expecting end November delivery, if I am lucky. I am 10th in their list, but there has been such a rush that supply is a big problem.

So looks like they will have had my $$ for 2 months before delivery, if I am lucky. They offered me a P4 with a $150 discount, so looks like the P4 sales are slowing down, but I politely refused their offer.

Rob P.

Latest posts