DRONE ZONE

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nuggetino said:
Anyone used one of these to look for old diggings? In WA I'd often find areas on GE that looked like they could be diggings but without checking it out on the bike I couldn't be sure. Be nice to punch in some GPS coordinates and send your drone a couple K's into the bush to check it out. I'd imagine due to the largely flat landscape you'd get a pretty good range out there?

In this shot I think I see a walkway.

1474540292_trackway.jpg

Ramjet said:
I was really please with how erasing the car and caravan worked out.

Mate I thought you did a great job! I have actually been studying both pix to see how you got your colours slightly wrong... !!!!! :eek: ;)
Top effort!

PS I still have to find time to pick your brain re the 360 pano shots, ie the 'app' you were on about etc...
But, back to mining tomorrow so limited internet for a while!!

Simmo said:
Ramjet said:
I was really please with how erasing the car and caravan worked out.

Mate I thought you did a great job! I have actually been studying both pix to see how you got your colours slightly wrong... !!!!! :eek: ;)
Top effort!

PS I still have to find time to pick your brain re the 360 pano shots, ie the 'app' you were on about etc...
But, back to mining tomorrow so limited internet for a while!!

I'll post up some info about it Simmo. It'll be here when you get back.

Is that the sony action cam? smooth footage
I actually thought it would be a jumpy on a drone
Very impressed, smooooth

No the Phantom 4 has a built in camera. It is designed as a camera platform really.... a flying camera. Takes 4K video
Here are the camera specs.

CAMERA

Sensor 1/2.3 (CMOS), Effective pixels:12.4 M
Lens FOV 94 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at
ISO Range
100-3200 (video)
100-1600 (photo)
Shutter Speed 8s -1/8000s
Image Max Size 40003000
Still Photography Modes Single shot
Burst shooting: 3 / 5 / 7 frames
Auto Exposure Bracketing ( AEB ): 3 / 5 bracketed frames at 0.7 EV Bias
Timelapse
HDR
Video Recording Modes UHD: 40962160 (4K) 24 / 25p
38402160 (4K) 24 / 25 / 30p
27041520 (2.7K) 24 / 25 / 30p
FHD: 19201080 24 / 25 / 30 / 48 / 50 / 60 / 120p
HD: 1280720 24 / 25 / 30 / 48 / 50 / 60p
Max Video Bitrate 60 Mbps
Supported File Formats FAT32 ( 32 GB ); exFAT ( > 32 GB )
Photo JPEG, DNG ( RAW )
Video MP4, MOV (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264)
Supported SD Card Types Micro SD
Max capacity: 64 GB. Class 10 or UHS-1 rating required
Operating Temperature 32 to 104 F ( 0 to 40 C )

B5MECH said:
Wow I never realized drones were that good
sounds like the expensive model

I think it is fair to say it is a high end hobby model or low end professional. Plenty of professional photographers and film makers using them. Around the $2000 mark then add a few accessories like extra batteries, lens filters, range extenders etc.

The amount of automation is truly amazing. It can be pre programmed to fly a route, stop at way points and take pics or videos. Once the mission is uploaded you push start, sit down and have a cuppa or whatever and wait for it to complete it's mission and return to where ever you choose then land or hover.

NOTE: By the CASA rules you must be in full control and have it in sight at all times.

Check youtube for some truly outstanding footage.

Simmo said:
Hey Rob,
I came across this site which might help you and others perhaps???

http://myfirstdrone.com/tutorials/buying-guides/best-drones-for-sale/

(mods please feel free to delete if deemed not appropriate.)

Tanks Simmo, I have looked at this and several other online reviews. As the is a Drone Zone section I see no reason to worry about it being an inappropriate post.

Good to hear that you liked the Mavic Rod, if I get it I will let you all know how it goes.

Rob P.

Go ahead, make me jealous Rob. LOL
Mrs Ramjet seems to think I want one for some reason. LOL
Another thing with the Mavic to consider is that it is lighter than the P4 and may not be as stable in the wind. Just a thought.

Ramjet said:
Go ahead, make me jealous Rob. LOL
Mrs Ramjet seems to think I want one for some reason. LOL
Another thing with the Mavic to consider is that it is lighter than the P4 and may not be as stable in the wind. Just a thought.

You can't be the only one to get nice "toys"! LOL. I have ordered it, but they aren't likely to be available in Oz until late October, on a first in first served basis, so not likely to be able to be used for a month or more. If it comes by Christmas I will be happy.

Because I now do a lot of travelling around Oz, in a campervan, size/space is an important consideration. I usually only take one pan and 2 detectors, so the small compact size of the Mavic is what sold me. I may also have to leave some other camera gear home.

Rob.

Awesome stuff Rob. Yes the Mavic's size is a BIG factor. Haha. Looking forward to seeing some cool pics and vids when you get it. There should be plenty of youtube tutorials by the time you get it. Spare batteries are just about a must have item. 20 minutes flying isn't long.

Ramjet said:
Awesome stuff Rob. Yes the Mavic's size is a BIG factor. Haha. Looking forward to seeing some cool pics and vids when you get it. There should be plenty of youtube tutorials by the time you get it. Spare batteries are just about a must have item. 20 minutes flying isn't long.

Yeah, I have ordered two extra batteries for "starters", plus a few other bits and pieces. Time will tell if I can pull something together without crashing the darned thing. The object avoidance features look good, but can be turned off apparently if you want it to go at max speed. I haven't ordered the goggles, as not sure that is my thing, but time will tell.

There is already a bit of footage from some of the first users online, one was an ex DJI 4 operator and another a lady that had no experience, so hopefully I will be able to get going ok. I wasn't planning on using it during detecting outings, but having said that I know of at least one site where it could be used for several productive purposes.

Rob P.

I was amazed at how easy it is to fly the P4 and the Mavic has the same systems. You will be OK. When you let go of the controls it just stops and hovers. I almost smashed mine into a tree when I had a play with sports mode. It was really going fast and I let go of the controls but it kept on motoring. Missed a tree by THAT much. :8

Latest posts