Dowsing/divining for gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horse said:
Think about it for a minute.

Magnetism in body required for it to work they say....

Gold...a non ferrous metal....non magnetic.
Nuff Said

Umm Water is also a non ferrous metal lol
I can pick up empty plastic pipes, it's static not magnetism.
Nuff said :D

Now thats a precarious way to kick off a Topic :)
and who better to do it than yours truly.
Just the other day out on a gold field, no where near Clunes 3 old fellas
were takin the piss out our ability to find big gold. i at the time had a giggle.
sometimes doing it 'just for the sheer enjoyment' isnt so bad to research a spot,
test it and recover colour in ya pan, so big or small gold was found :)

Now, these cunning old buggers took us to a spot the say had over 40 Oz come off the patch.
Believe it or dont, i know the hills i was in and id believe it based on History and other people that
have indeed found gold here, me being one of them.

They mentioned Divining, me the sceptic, Ha....... had a snigger and out came the two pieces of fencing wire.
Old guy 1, walks East West and sure as cats eating birds the wires crossed. he did this maybe 6-times. and from opposing directions.
what i got from that was me unknowingly asking many leading questions of which they were only too kind to share the answers too.
i learned that Divining doesnt pin point gold but tells you where the reefs run, in this instance it was the Indicator they found.
so in Theory Nth-Sth minus 22 degres west of north would be the direction to walk.
so if your a sceptic like i was, give it a go because you can have all the Maps, knowledge, Internet, best equipment.
If you dont walk in the right direction you may as well be out there with a cuppa n sandwich.

Just thoght id share :)

KoD

All I will say is this(as I always do with divining), if it works, go the Australian Skeptics website and claim the $100,000 reward for proving it works. I can look at any map from the geology, contours and soil types and tell you which way the reefs run, in the Victorian goldfields reef lines usually run north south. Best one I have ever seen was the claim, whilst a diving rod user was standing in the Bendigo Whipstick waving his coat-hangers about, was 'there is gold around here' - no shxt sherlock. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - this is mine, however my opinion is supported by the fact that no-one has ever claimed the $100,000, yet I can find gold with a map and detector.

http://www.skeptics.com.au/features/prize/

As can i Loamer, and i will be putting this to the test, more so looking to intersect reefs, indicators, not to specifically pin point gold.
im crazy at the best of times so to assume this would be.............. well id be wearing one of those funny jackets that do up from behind you and no doubt have more padlocks than a chinese lock factory.
but in saying that i saw it work, i was with these fellas when it happened and my mate was there as a sceptic, it worked for him so to see a complete novice have a go and for it to work speaks volumes for me...............

lets put it into perspective

Minelab or garrett.

its what you have faith in and what you believe works best for you :)

fair enough. Just did some quick research and one of the diving tests states that if you are unsuccessful, these are the issues as detailed below (it is from Wikipedia, another source of untested and usually unverified nonsense but never mind) .

If you can't, either you're a bad dowser (you're not focused or relaxed enough, you're psychically challenged, you're holding the rod(s) incorrectly, or you're too skeptical to allow dowsing to work for you) or dowsing is nothing more than superstition punctuated by coincidence. You decide. http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Dowsing-or-Divining-Rods

Therefore, I can never win the argument because I think its a load of bollox but because I think its a load of bollox it will never work, because I think its a load of bollox it will never work, etc etc etc etc. Catch 22.

Now, having said all of that, I think a lot of 'gut fee' and 'sixth sense' is quite a factual observation. They derive from memory and experience being hard-wired into our sub-conscious. For example, "I have a sixth sense" there is gold at XYZ location. It is can be attributed to superstitious mumbo jumbo, or rationally explained as a cognitive bias (there are some excellent on-line articles on cognitive bias, but avoid the afore-mentioned Crapopedia (AKA Wiki) ). My memory is telling me that based on past repetitive experiences the area looks like it is gold bearing - soil, geology, observable minerals and the like.

Either way, I think you have raised an excellent post and I hope it develops some stimulating conversation.

somewhere else on this site there is a post about dowsing and it has a linc to a mob that will pay $100,000 to anyone that can prove that dowsing works.. :)

Yep.. that's the one.. my prospecting buddy has a pair of dowsing rods..... the money has not been claimed yet.. ;) he will be wandering all over barrington waiving his about next spring :eek:

I had a conversation once with an experienced adventurer and just simply an intriguing man who tried to convince me that divining does work. A guy that has worked in mines, sailed the seas on spice routes, been held up by pirates ,lived in FNQ etc etc. A bloke you can just sit there and listen to countless real stories and adventures. He said he would never have believed it but watched a guy who was paid to drill holes to find water. He said this guy rocked up with all sorts of equipment in the back of his ute, only to walk out with two little wires in his search for where to drill. The guy did find water and apparently had a remarkable success rate. Just thought id pass that story on. He said the process was able to detect "flow" of energy, and said you can do the same with an extension lead that's plugged in.....as you walk over the lead the rods will indicate by coming together. Might be something in it!

I have heard a lot of people find water with it there is more going on in this world than we know. Have a look at teslas work on energy waves you may find there is a lot more to learn we don't know every thing yet at one point in time the earth was flat keep an open mind is all I am saying

Ok - lets recap. Go back to my post 2 above. Go to the Skeptics Australia folk or advise the mate of a mate of mate everyone seems to refer to as a diviner or dowser and claim the $100,000!!! Then, and only then, when some-one can provide proof in a controlled test (which by the way is very fair) will I and others shut-up about this being NONSENSE. Further, the carpet baggers who sell these types of items on the net, who are about the same level as the scum who sell knock off metal detectors, should be bloody held to account.

Water - we are on the artesian basin - of course there is bloody water below us, there is bloody ground water in most places - hence the reason deep lead mining stopped - too wet.
Gold - I can throw a dart at a map of any gold field and say within a reasonable plus or minus "there is gold in them thar hills'.

Other bullshxt for consideration.

Nigerian Princesses via email who want $20,000 to unlock hidden treasure. Its a scam people.
Faith healers. Ever heard of a heart attack victim yelling out at the Hospital for a faith healer?

As for being a flat earther???? We are all entitled to our opinions, but I do not condone blatant rip-offs of nonsense equipment on the net. Remember our forum mate Mozzie? He posted on ebay a device that he stated DID NOT WORK - still had geezers asking about them. It was a pxss take but still had takers. But, I can't win.because I have a closed mind.

Now, its getting on a bit, so off to the pub and have a parmy and a few beers with all the other Neanderthals.

We have tried this with gold we found, my girlfriend buries it somewhere and remembers where she hid it, I try with sticks, fencing wire etc...even with a bit of gold on each stick. Never been able to make them work for me. Luckily she remembers where she puts the treasure or there would be little vials of gold dust all over the place and I'd be grumpy

Skepticism keeps a balance of sanity in the world. I'm open minded but highly skeptical about any unproven claim. It takes more to convince me something works than someone telling me so and I'm glad the majority of us don't believe everything we hear. I didn't take the easter bunny news too well when I was growing up.

Gday. Interesting thing yesterday. I met a fellow rock hound of many years experience and was priveledged enough for him to show his gem and gold nugget collection (part of) AMAZING 300 carats odd of 7 carat plus stones Green/ Blue /Pink/ star SAPPHIRES and Gold nuggets.

When I asked him how long it took to collect such a haul he said --- "bout three days"....!!!!!!!!! Gobsmaked I thought a man of his age was not capable of such a feat and asked rudely " how did ya manage that then"? laughing a bit. Seriously he looked at me and siad " I only ever fossick with silver wire. I did not click what he meant and was busied looking at some amazing stones (thinking myself lucky to hold such a clear and cuttable haul)

We had to go despite his show and tell but he had one more thing to show me. He siad he would test my natural abilty (i wondered what the heck he was on about.)

With that he got two silver wires in hand and did like water devining in the car park and showed me how to hold and use the wires. I practised and felt the wandering pulling effects of the land immediatly. I felt the wires tracking an underground stream and was amazed that it does in fact work. I WAS AMAZED.

With that he placed a bag of saphires in the bush a bit where I couldnt see the saptul of stones. He showed me only once how to hold the wires and how to use the wires as a detector of gold and gems as well. I wandered slowly in the general area , one circle around and the wires began to pull strongly across each other. "STOP" he yelled to me I looked closer at the ground and saw the bag of stones under some leaves a bit.

I felt the wires strongly cross and pull and it does appear that divining for gems and gold is in fact a reality. Very amazing feeling.
I would want to chat with others about this if any fellow PA members might have even seen this or experienced themselves some success with this most unussual way of pin pointing our treasured finds. please post.
Good luck and happy hunting

Thanks for reminding me to try this out deancon76.

Another method people might like to try is the pendulum method. You simply hold a pendulum by a string and interpret the signals it gives you as it passes over an object in the field or on a map.

It works differently for individuals so you have to learn the 'language' of the pendulum. Basically, you think about a positive response and the pendulum should swing in one direction. Think about a negative response and the pendulum should change direction. That gives you your basic yes/no response.

Once you are satisfied that you can find targets, practice asking the pendulum what the target is ie gold? yes/no, gem? yes/no etc. you may even be able to determine depth of the target by the length of the swing arc, erratic movements etc.

By the way, I can also bend spoons! Usually when digging deep in crevices, not with my mind...yet :D