Does $$$$ give results ??? (5 probably dumb quetions )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said, I dont mind digging the junk. While probably 80% is crap (I feel I am doing my bit to clean the area up lol) some is really cool and brings to light just how busy the gold fields were. I have found buttons, little lead figures, tools, horseshoes and even a 1/2 bullet mold for a Colt pocket pistol.

Gold is always a bonus.

SteelPat said:

If you are digging junk then you will also dig gold. In areas where there has been a history of gold mining, digging junk is part and parcel of prospecting. Besides some of the 'junk' is pretty cool and can have more value than small specks of gold.

If you re read the Method I posted with the Combination of Both types of Machine you can Have Disc and PI therefore Know where most of the junk is, and anything else the PI finds will give you a better chance of finding Gold.

When we all own so many machine why stick to just using Only The PI, if you hit a Target and say No and walk on that could be Gold and Buy using the DISC on a VLF to check out the Ground you are going to Have increased your chances by about 60%, When you consider People with PI's are Digging 200 Holes and Finding 2 Pickers, That's is Only A 1% chance of finding GOLD, Go and ID the Junk with the VLF and Mark the junk Targets and you Can increase your chances by up to 90% on a good Day, And Until any of you start doing this you will Keep Getting Skunked.

John

What about the targets you mark as junk that have gold next to or under them? You dont dig and then miss them. I dig every target and then recheck the hole once I have found something. With the method you have posted above, you will miss a few.

SteelPat said:
What about the targets you mark as junk that have gold next to or under them? You dont dig and then miss them. I dig every target and then recheck the hole once I have found something. With the method you have posted above, you will miss a few.

Well if they are fairly shallow targets then The Vlf Might see them as mine does 90+% of the Time, The rest is up to the person and there style of detecting,
My Way Is Not Perfect but it will at leased help you ID 60 to 90% of the Junk which is a damn sight easier than digging all 200 and if you can ID 90% =180 Targets as Junk that's 180 Holes you are not going to have to dig and 20 that you will, Surely That Has to help at the end of the Day,

A Short while Back 2 Guys found about A Dozen Very old coins and they Kept digging and searching with their explorer SE's then they Put On 15" wot Coils and Dug a Load More, Then they needed to know if there were More Deeper so they went and Bought A GPX 4500 with a 18" Mono and then found the deeper ones again, They found Millions of $$$ in Gold 2500 year old Coins but they ID the Junk with the SE's and then Cleaned up with the 45,

John

Chewy said:
From 1 Andy to another I say hang in there. I have a gpx 5000 and have been out about 4 times for 3 or 4 days each time and haven't found gold yet. But I kniow it's just a matter of getting the coil over a bit. Learning to read the ground is important and something that you get better at with experience I think, I'm still learning. I know I'm doing the right things, cos im finding a poo load of junk, just no gold yet. It'll happen. Cheers Andy.
Thanks Andy/Chewy. I'm a big Star Wars fan to. It's really interesting to hear you have a Gpx5000 and not had much luck either. It gives me a bit more confidence that it may not be my machine, but just the poor luck of not walking over some undiscovered gold. Thanks for sharing. It's really helpful, to me any way, to hear the stories of long hard searches without return. I'll definitely keep at it. Cheers Andy

paul_mac1 said:
Dig'n-it said:
Hi guys. I'm a newbie as well starting out in about March this year with a Garrett AT Gold. I've had many trips out all over the GT and not found one piece of gold. Plenty of bullets, pieces of foil, metal buttons, hot rocks, and iron of all descriptions. I have done a lot of research and have plenty of maps. I was a lot like Nucopia asking all those questions about what machine to get, and with not finding any gold with the AT Gold VLF I'm still questioning whether I started off with the right machine. I can tell you I am a patient man but ready to rap the Garrett around a tree. A lesser man would have given up long ago. I have booked myself in on a one day course to confirm if I am using the machine right. I am conversant with all settings and swing speeds and feel I am using it correctly. On the course I will also get to use a Minelab GPX 5000 so I can compare. So I've read all your comments and agree with many of them. The thing is I'm of the strong opinion, with hindsight, I should have spent more on a machine. Possibly the SDC should have been my starting point. At least I would have found something, and even possibly been as successfull as Scrounger has been. I learn quickly and put in the hard yards, so in my case I probably should have saved my pennies longer to get a more fruitful machine. I think it all comes down to how passionate you are going to be. I am passionate about finding some gold. I'm hooked. My advise would be to do your homework, go to some product demo days, go on a professional guided training course, and or hire some units before committing to buying. Get a feel for gold detecting and get a sense of your passion and it just may influence you to spend a more. Just my thoughts. Cheers Andy. :)

Hi Andy,
Wise words you use.
I got a cheap extreme with 5 coils, I could have spent more $$$ but can't really justify it, as I won't be spending all my time detecting as I work away for 2/3 of the year, but when I do go, I'd like to think I have a fighting chance of finding some yellow.
Gold isn't everywhere, that's why its a precious metal, so don't get disheartened about not finding any gold, you have to put the coil over it to find it.
Good luck in your quest mate.
Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul. I'll not give up. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for your Extreme kit, and have you found much gold with it? I have no problem with buying second hand. My AT Gold was second hand, though only 2 months old from new. Thought it was a great deal at $800. Cheers Andy

Ridge Runner said:
Dig'n-it said:
Hi guys. I'm a newbie as well starting out in about March this year with a Garrett AT Gold. I've had many trips out all over the GT and not found one piece of gold. Plenty of bullets, pieces of foil, metal buttons, hot rocks, and iron of all descriptions. I have done a lot of research and have plenty of maps. I was a lot like Nucopia asking all those questions about what machine to get, and with not finding any gold with the AT Gold VLF I'm still questioning whether I started off with the right machine. I can tell you I am a patient man but ready to rap the Garrett around a tree. A lesser man would have given up long ago. I have booked myself in on a one day course to confirm if I am using the machine right. I am conversant with all settings and swing speeds and feel I am using it correctly. On the course I will also get to use a Minelab GPX 5000 so I can compare. So I've read all your comments and agree with many of them. The thing is I'm of the strong opinion, with hindsight, I should have spent more on a machine. Possibly the SDC should have been my starting point. At least I would have found something, and even possibly been as successfull as Scrounger has been. I learn quickly and put in the hard yards, so in my case I probably should have saved my pennies longer to get a more fruitful machine. I think it all comes down to how passionate you are going to be. I am passionate about finding some gold. I'm hooked. My advise would be to do your homework, go to some product demo days, go on a professional guided training course, and or hire some units before committing to buying. Get a feel for gold detecting and get a sense of your passion and it just may influence you to spend a more. Just my thoughts. Cheers Andy. :)

As I said in the Beginning, For gold In very Hot Ground There is the SPP Pulse Induction Machine which has A Mild Form of Discrimination By using the Tone and It will work in the Hot Ground in the GT At A Cost of $1545.00, As The Title of this thread Do you have to spend $$$$ in order to find gold, And then You Also Have The Garrett Infinium PI, Both of which Have found Gold, SO In Order to Answer the Title, The Answer is NO,

GOLD DIVER Uses his MXT (VLF) To Find Gold In Proberly Some of the Hottest Ground In Australia, Where His GPX 5000 WILL NOT RUN and Has Posted Videos and Photos of his Success, With Ground Readings Of the Highest I have Ever Heard Of In Over 20 years, Will He be Digging Nuggets with it 18" to 2 Foot Deep, NO, Does He Find Gold YES. and He Does It In One Of The Worst Places On The Planet,

Your AT Gold Does Not Have The Tracking System or The Power That The MXT Has, And You Do NOT have to Spend $$$$ in order To Find Gold,
Back On Post 11,, I Listed every Type of Machine that does NOT Cost $$$$ That WILL Find Gold As Per The Title and they are ALL New Machines Yes you can Buy Second Hand Machine and If That Involves Machines Like The SDC and The GPX series Then That is Going to Cost $$$$,

In Some Places The MXT will Not Be The Best Choice, But In Some Places The SPP and The SDC/GPX will NOT Be The Best Choice, Yet ALL Four of them have and WILL Find Gold, And No Other Machine Mentioned Here has Found as Much Gold In History As The MXT,
See Post 9 in this Thread, https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12795
Thanks Ridge Runner. I'm going to check out the Whites MD's you suggest. To be honest I've not considered them. Thanks for your insight. Cheers Andy

Latest posts