Does $$$$ give results ??? (5 probably dumb quetions )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MNate, unless you're going to be detecting a lot, you may be better off sticking with panning and hiring a detector (initially at least) for when you do go out.

I've just scored a minelab extreme for $1,300 with 5 coils, sound amplifier etc etc.
Should be a bargain if it does what it says on the tin lol.
Cheers,
Paul

aussiefarmer said:
Yep grubstake I thought if that was possible everyone would be doing it, Nice to think there is md that might . Think the missus might ban me from the internet if I spent $10,700 .

LOL, That's putting it politely, Health Insurance might come in Handy.

John

A SDC 2300 IS won way to go there is a cheaper option using a gp extreme with a DD coil in mono mode a friend over the last 8 weeks has found 120 pieces for 18 grams doing this, the detector was $1500 just about paid for it in 8 weeks marvels regards john :)

grubstake said:
aussiefarmer said:
grubstake said:
aussiefarmer said:
1.. I am sure theirs no rite answer but from everybody's experience how much do you need to spend on a detector to find small gold ??

To save us all wasting our time with 'money's no object' answers: How much are you prepared to spend?

I am like any other farmer "as tight as a fishes exhaust hole " lmao
If it can locate fine gold 1mm to 2 mm big, under 200mm of gravel in iron stone country probably $2000 maybe more, it will pay for itself when I drop a nut or bolt under the header in a stubble paddock lol.

I think 1-2mm nuggets @ 200mm (8 inches) depth in ironstone ground is at the extreme limit of the detectable spectrum.

Minelab's new GPZ-7000 might get there, but that's a $10,700 machine! I doubt that the Minelab SDC-2300, which is a pulse induction detector optimised for small gold, would have a hope at that depth and none of the other recommendations above would come close.

Luke tested the SDC and the TDI Pro or SPP with the Minerjohn 5x9 Folded Coil and the SDC was giving a weak signal on 0.03g just under the surface and on an 0.06gm Nugget buried at 1 inch, where the GMT see's that at 3 to 6 Inches depending on the Ground and if I change coils it will see them Deeper.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDK5mgwiZaI[/video]

John

mbasko said:
Air tests & YouTube. Say no more :rolleyes:

No Not Air Tests, Actual In Ground Test's which is why I said 3 to 6 inches depending on the Ground, And Luke's Video Is an In Ground Valid Test, As was Mine,

I don't know why it is so hard for people to except That Maybe some Machines can Do Certain Things Better Than Minelab,

Yes The GMT will Beat the SDC On Small Gold, BUT Once the Gold Gets Bigger Say In the 2.0gm range and Deeper In Hot Ground The SDC Wins, No PI can Compete on Small Tiny Gold with the GB II and The GMT,

And Yet In Mild Ground The GMT will Thrash the SDC, It's Only Horses for Coarses, The SDC works very well and it has found a lot of small Nuggets Considering its only been out A Short While and it will Hopefully for many years To Come.

John

Apologies John I had only read your posts on the air tests you had done with the GMT. Hadn't realised you had used it in varying ground conditions & found in situ gold nuglets with it as yet. I thought it was the MXT you found gold nuggets with.
I've used both in Australian conditions & the SDC I've got is much better than what is shown in the YouTube vid. I use a booster though but I've seen many small nuggets found with mine & others that are stock set ups that signal way better than shown. There is another members YouTube vid showing an in situ nugget being found (posted on this forum) that is in direct contrast to those signals? It consistently surprises me the strength of the signal in relation to the size of gold I find in the scoop. Some depths surprise me on them too but we've been there before so I won't get into that old chestnut. Those who know will know & I'll leave it at that.
In my area the SDC would beat the GMT no problem whatsoever on small in situ gold including 0.03 & smaller still. I've shown before some that won't even register on my 0.02 incremental scale. The ground would have to be all but benign to ping those sizes with a GMT at 6" deep in my experience.
I don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept that yes there is a PI that will rival the VLF's in mild conditions & go way better in harsh. People can say, YouTube or whatever they want. My opinion is based on real use in real goldfield ground on real in situ nuggets. I quite openly don't rate air tests or YouTube vids.
My strikerate locally with a GMT - about 20% or less
My strikerate locally & beyond with the SDC - 100% & still going
People can believe what they like. Maybe my SDC has been internally tuned up by Bruce Candy himself? All I know & can offer is that in my local experience where the GMT was missing gold or I spent time without getting any; the SDC hasn't failed me - yet ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11487

mbasko said:
Apologies John I had only read your posts on the air tests you had done with the GMT. Hadn't realised you had used it in varying ground conditions & found in situ gold nuglets with it as yet. I thought it was the MXT you found gold nuggets with.
I've used both in Australian conditions & the SDC I've got is much better than what is shown in the YouTube vid. I use a booster though but I've seen many small nuggets found with mine & others that are stock set ups that signal way better than shown. There is another members YouTube vid showing an in situ nugget being found (posted on this forum) that is in direct contrast to those signals? It consistently surprises me the strength of the signal in relation to the size of gold I find in the scoop. Some depths surprise me on them too but we've been there before so I won't get into that old chestnut. Those who know will know & I'll leave it at that.
In my area the SDC would beat the GMT no problem whatsoever on small in situ gold including 0.03 & smaller still. I've shown before some that won't even register on my 0.02 incremental scale. The ground would have to be all but benign to ping those sizes with a GMT at 6" deep in my experience.
I don't know why it's so hard for some people to accept that yes there is a PI that will rival the VLF's in mild conditions & go way better in harsh. People can say, YouTube or whatever they want. My opinion is based on real use in real goldfield ground on real in situ nuggets. I quite openly don't rate air tests or YouTube vids.
My strikerate locally with a GMT - about 20% or less
My strikerate locally & beyond with the SDC - 100% & still going
People can believe what they like. Maybe my SDC has been internally tuned up by Bruce Candy himself? All I know & can offer is that in my local experience where the GMT was missing gold or I spent time without getting any; the SDC hasn't failed me ;)

No Worries Mate, I did find 3 Bits up around Gympie in 2011 with the MXT and the biggest bit was 1.1gm but that was no more that 2 or 3 inches,
The GMT I got some tiny bits and tested it and it was Ok Not what I would say Brilliant but they were in the 3 to 4 inch range so I stuck em to some little game counters so I would not loose them and it was pinging them at 5 to 6 inches, but that was normal Town / Farm Dirt, And coins come up really deep there so that's why I did it So Not In Gold baring type ground, But it was more about sensitivity than Depth, I got it seeing bits 0.002gm In the Air at about an Inch +/-.
I have 2 normal set Prospecting Scales But I bought A set worth about 1200-$1500.00 that weigh up to 1500gm, Oh well its only money,lol

I still need A GPX and the SDC to complete the set because I got a new project coming up in Scotland where I need them all because someone quite some years Back found A Nugget Over 1 kg in weight, And A Mate has just found a real hot spot in Wales and because of the rarity of the Gold there it fetches about 4 to 5 times the going Rate, So I need to get them and get up there, Which is another reason for all the crazy tests I have been doing trying to find an Edge,

But I will get there, I have bought 3 machines and 4 coils in the past 2 or 3 months So with these other 2 will give me a machine for every situation,

John

Got a bit on then :eek:
I think the GMT is a great machine. If wifey said I had to sell everything & only gave me $500 to spend then a used GMT would be #1 on my shopping list.
I've recommended them to a fair few people & helped them out with them but I always tell them to choose areas wisely to have a better chance.
You'll need a custom made trailer to cart all those machines around. :lol:

mbasko said:
Got a bit on then :eek:
I think the GMT is a great machine. If wifey said I had to sell everything & only gave me $500 to spend then a used GMT would be #1 on my shopping list.
I've recommended them to a fair few people & helped them out with them but I always tell them to choose areas wisely to have a better chance.
You'll need a custom made trailer to cart all those machines around. :lol:

Well I am Cheating on the Camper Front, because I am looking at a smallish RV, then I can keep every thing contained, I thought about a roof top tent on A 4x4 but here I need something with Heating, Last time I went I got down to -12*c and another time it got lower and cracked my wind shield, That was $500 down the drain, and all because of a small stone chip that I never saw. So if you have any stone chips on ya screen and your head to a cold Area Cover it up with a Blanket, at night.

John

Hi guys. I'm a newbie as well starting out in about March this year with a Garrett AT Gold. I've had many trips out all over the GT and not found one piece of gold. Plenty of bullets, pieces of foil, metal buttons, hot rocks, and iron of all descriptions. I have done a lot of research and have plenty of maps. I was a lot like Nucopia asking all those questions about what machine to get, and with not finding any gold with the AT Gold VLF I'm still questioning whether I started off with the right machine. I can tell you I am a patient man but ready to rap the Garrett around a tree. A lesser man would have given up long ago. I have booked myself in on a one day course to confirm if I am using the machine right. I am conversant with all settings and swing speeds and feel I am using it correctly. On the course I will also get to use a Minelab GPX 5000 so I can compare. So I've read all your comments and agree with many of them. The thing is I'm of the strong opinion, with hindsight, I should have spent more on a machine. Possibly the SDC should have been my starting point. At least I would have found something, and even possibly been as successfull as Scrounger has been. I learn quickly and put in the hard yards, so in my case I probably should have saved my pennies longer to get a more fruitful machine. I think it all comes down to how passionate you are going to be. I am passionate about finding some gold. I'm hooked. My advise would be to do your homework, go to some product demo days, go on a professional guided training course, and or hire some units before committing to buying. Get a feel for gold detecting and get a sense of your passion and it just may influence you to spend a more. Just my thoughts. Cheers Andy. :)

Dig'n-it said:
Hi guys. I'm a newbie as well starting out in about March this year with a Garrett AT Gold. I've had many trips out all over the GT and not found one piece of gold. Plenty of bullets, pieces of foil, metal buttons, hot rocks, and iron of all descriptions. I have done a lot of research and have plenty of maps. I was a lot like Nucopia asking all those questions about what machine to get, and with not finding any gold with the AT Gold VLF I'm still questioning whether I started off with the right machine. I can tell you I am a patient man but ready to rap the Garrett around a tree. A lesser man would have given up long ago. I have booked myself in on a one day course to confirm if I am using the machine right. I am conversant with all settings and swing speeds and feel I am using it correctly. On the course I will also get to use a Minelab GPX 5000 so I can compare. So I've read all your comments and agree with many of them. The thing is I'm of the strong opinion, with hindsight, I should have spent more on a machine. Possibly the SDC should have been my starting point. At least I would have found something, and even possibly been as successfull as Scrounger has been. I learn quickly and put in the hard yards, so in my case I probably should have saved my pennies longer to get a more fruitful machine. I think it all comes down to how passionate you are going to be. I am passionate about finding some gold. I'm hooked. My advise would be to do your homework, go to some product demo days, go on a professional guided training course, and or hire some units before committing to buying. Get a feel for gold detecting and get a sense of your passion and it just may influence you to spend a more. Just my thoughts. Cheers Andy. :)

Hi Andy,
Wise words you use.
I got a cheap extreme with 5 coils, I could have spent more $$$ but can't really justify it, as I won't be spending all my time detecting as I work away for 2/3 of the year, but when I do go, I'd like to think I have a fighting chance of finding some yellow.
Gold isn't everywhere, that's why its a precious metal, so don't get disheartened about not finding any gold, you have to put the coil over it to find it.
Good luck in your quest mate.
Cheers,
Paul

From 1 Andy to another I say hang in there. I have a gpx 5000 and have been out about 4 times for 3 or 4 days each time and haven't found gold yet. But I kniow it's just a matter of getting the coil over a bit. Learning to read the ground is important and something that you get better at with experience I think, I'm still learning. I know I'm doing the right things, cos im finding a poo load of junk, just no gold yet. It'll happen. Cheers Andy.

Dig'n-it said:

As I said in the Beginning, For gold In very Hot Ground There is the SPP Pulse Induction Machine which has A Mild Form of Discrimination By using the Tone and It will work in the Hot Ground in the GT At A Cost of $1545.00, As The Title of this thread Do you have to spend $$$$ in order to find gold, And then You Also Have The Garrett Infinium PI, Both of which Have found Gold, SO In Order to Answer the Title, The Answer is NO,

GOLD DIVER Uses his MXT (VLF) To Find Gold In Proberly Some of the Hottest Ground In Australia, Where His GPX 5000 WILL NOT RUN and Has Posted Videos and Photos of his Success, With Ground Readings Of the Highest I have Ever Heard Of In Over 20 years, Will He be Digging Nuggets with it 18" to 2 Foot Deep, NO, Does He Find Gold YES. and He Does It In One Of The Worst Places On The Planet,

Your AT Gold Does Not Have The Tracking System or The Power That The MXT Has, And You Do NOT have to Spend $$$$ in order To Find Gold,
Back On Post 11,, I Listed every Type of Machine that does NOT Cost $$$$ That WILL Find Gold As Per The Title and they are ALL New Machines Yes you can Buy Second Hand Machine and If That Involves Machines Like The SDC and The GPX series Then That is Going to Cost $$$$,

In Some Places The MXT will Not Be The Best Choice, But In Some Places The SPP and The SDC/GPX will NOT Be The Best Choice, Yet ALL Four of them have and WILL Find Gold, And No Other Machine Mentioned Here has Found as Much Gold In History As The MXT,
See Post 9 in this Thread, https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12795

Chewy said:
From 1 Andy to another I say hang in there. I have a gpx 5000 and have been out about 4 times for 3 or 4 days each time and haven't found gold yet. But I kniow it's just a matter of getting the coil over a bit. Learning to read the ground is important and something that you get better at with experience I think, I'm still learning. I know I'm doing the right things, cos im finding a poo load of junk, just no gold yet. It'll happen. Cheers Andy.

See That's why I said about the MXT, because having the Ability to Disc out junk is A Bonus, I was Talking with Steve H A While back and He and I both came up with Going over An Area with A VLF In The Junk and when you Find One That's The Time To Break Out The Big Guns (PI), that would Reduce The Trash To Treasure Ratio.
And Even If You Only Use The MXT to Put you on the Spot, Then You are Using Both Machines to Maximize Your Success,
Even If you Don't find anything with the VLF at leased you can Mark the Junk out and then Go over the place with the PI and Dig Less Junk.
Give That A Bash Chewy, Hell It Might Even Work Mate.

Good Luck Mate,, John

Sorry but I have to say it. In Victorian Goldfields, where there is a high concentration of ironstone and other mineralisation, if you use discrimination, you will be missing gold. And it doesnt matter what detector you are using.

If you are digging junk then you will also dig gold. In areas where there has been a history of gold mining, digging junk is part and parcel of prospecting. Besides some of the 'junk' is pretty cool and can have more value than small specks of gold.

SteelPat said:
Sorry but I have to say it. In Victorian Goldfields, where there is a high concentration of ironstone and other mineralisation, if you use discrimination, you will be missing gold. And it doesnt matter what detector you are using.
Yes I agree and by Ground balancing on the Iron Stone will help reduce SOME of its effects, and I Do In areas of Coke/Coal and Hot rock Infested areas,

As you say There is only so much a detector can do and after that Heaven Knows,

John

Latest posts