Do you own a pin pointer ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiefarmer

Thinks he is funny
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get as many people involved in this as possible, its a good excuse to play with your pin pointer and add your results ,
i posted the test in another topic but i wanted to draw your attention to it , as it will be more interesting if we get enough results from all the models :Y:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=330801#p330801

Feel free to add tests if you feel somethings missing and as i said it may become more of a hearing test :D

Hi all. I have used my pinpointer pro 25 for the last couple of months. As general in finding a target as it is, I still believe that it does save a lot of digging as it gives you a good indication as to the direction of target. As for the better options I would go with the pin pointer pro 25 by Minelab, or the Garrett. My personal choice was the pro 25, but each to their own. Cheers Ollyb64. :cool:

Yep, each to his own but it will produce lots of discussion. Personally, I have a Black Garret Pro-pointer II and I was given a Pro-pointer AT. The Pro-pointer II is less sensitive so I'm told but easier to use as the Pro-pointer AT has to be ground balanced almost every time you put it to the ground [Picks up the mineralisation of any ground everytime]. I had a Whites Pointer and gave it away for no other reason but that at the time I had 3 pointers. My preference is probably the Pro-pointer AT only because of its sensitivity. But now after having one, I wouldn't be without a Pro-pointer in the field - it just saves so much time trying to find all those tiny pieces of rusty wire that eat up so much time in the field.

I have a nockta RS..with The new improved on off button....And though its not waterproof...it runs stable on salt beaches is very sensitive to the smallest bit of metal ....couldnt get much better...or need any better...except if you needed a waterproof one...And at only 130$ You will be very happy :Y:

Smoky bandit said:
I have a nockta RS..with The new improved on off button....And though its not waterproof...it runs stable on salt beaches is very sensitive to the smallest bit of metal ....couldnt get much better...or need any better...except if you needed a waterproof one...And at only 130$ You will be very happy :Y:

Aside from the fact that my Nokta RS ingested some water (and died), it was a good pinpointer for the price, especially if you "make an offer" through the sellers on ebay. A couple of good points about it wers the slimline housing, much smaller than your regular pinpointer, automatic light sensor for saving on batteries during the day, and the proportional audio was as good as anything on the market. The two issues I had with it were the lack of water proofing, and the slide off battery compartment cover was prone to wear and easily lost. :)

I have about 12 or 15 pin pointers...

Air test are invalid and for some; the quality of the batteries can also have an impact and while most use a form of VLF the Deteknix is PI.

And thus adds another stack of variables....

Some work better than others in some conditions and some can cause interference with machines...

For Salt water environments the PI pin pointers are tops... Nothing else comes close...

After that there are 101 ground conditions and Functionality issues that can be seen as Pros OR Cons...

I like my USB charging option and full functional operations in Salt water... On land, it depends on what I am hunting and where...

Like the old ML Pro Find, wish I still had my Whites TRX and always have a PI pointer or 2 with me...

PS. If you want the best from your pin pointer - Do some testing and get to know the field shape and strength (Air test but close enough).

When you see some one with a pin pointer at an angle other than 90 - Then you too should understand why if used correctly a good pin pointer is much more than just a locating device. And why some one with their pointer at 45 is missing out on so much...

It can Pin point the target / Imply a depth / Imply a size and in conjunction with your detector; give you enough extra information as to not bothering to dig and to move on...

Good timing for this discussion. I'll probably be looking to getting one in the next few weeks. So any recommendations would be great.
Prefer water proof/resistant. Mainly for parks detecting but some beach also.
Since I can't get out to the GT often enough much at all lately I've picked up a cheapie coin machine to satisfy my swinging needs.
Mods please move if posted in wrong thread.

Is one pin pointer better than others?
As in...
Sensitivity
Strength (not cheaply made)
Battery life?
Just thought i would ask since everyone is talking pinpointsrs ?

goldgrub said:
Is one pin pointer better than others?
As in...
Sensitivity
Strength (not cheaply made)
Battery life?
Just thought i would ask since everyone is talking pinpointsrs ?

I bought a Deteknix from phase technical. Fully waterproof also which is handy and the battery is rechargeable via usb. :Y: You don't take the battery out , the cord plugs into the pp.

I can't compare to others because I've only had this unit but it's a decent tough little pp. I'm more than happy with it :)

Upside said:
1cent , 1cm
10c , 2cm
1 dollar , 20 cent , about 5cm away.

Deteknix pp.

Thanks upside thats the sort of figures that tell me how they really work :Y: :Y: now all i need is other brands and some people with gold to add some results and we will build some educational results for refference . :Y:
That is less sensitive than i thought they would be , food for thought :Y: :Y: :)

So heres the suggested tests for anyone that hasnt followed the link and would like to be involved

I think this is valuable info for us that wonder if we should get a pinpointer , i am thinking if people with a pinpointer could test and contribute this would be great , so heres my idea on some air tests for distance
T1.. a $1 coin
T2.. a 5cent coin
T3.. a 1 gram nugget
T4.. a 0.5g nugget
T5.. a 0.1 g nugglet
Please put brand and model and distance the pointer first signaled , obviously this may turn out to be a hearing test but hopefully we can get 3 or 4 results for different pointers , purely out of interest.
If people do contribute and are interested thumbsup some tests in soil would be cool in the future smile

I got hold of a orange garrett
And with it on max sensitivity done some air tests with gold.

It took about 0.1gram to get a signal on the point and thats touching it

0.4grams signaled about 4 mm away

I got it signal on tiny bits +0.03 but they would only signal about 10mm behind the point , so there must be a sweet spot there ,

26grams signaled at 2 inches

So all weaker than i previously thought , basically if it can find it you should be able to see it . I often see people checking crevises with them but now i doubt many would find a nuggy .
It seems to love metal more than gold imo.

They look like dangerous little things to me ..... ]:D

http://md-hunter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/all-gold-hunter-pinpointer-owners-01.jpg

All Gold Hunter pinpointer owners please note. Its important!
All Gold Hunter pinpointer owners please note! If you get the plus and minus signs on the battery mixed up, the pinpointer burns out. Please keep this in mind

There are already two owners of the Gold Hunter pinpointer who reported on this sad fact. Having inserted the battery incorrectly they saw a smoke the
pinpointer was down.