I must have rocks in my head to do this......

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel like a YOUTUBB-er using a subject title like that.

Now that everyone has my attention.

It has been two weeks since my last drink...... oh, sorry, wrong group.

It has been two weeks since, I got invited to the ROCK Club, as we call it in our home. (the president texted me to say the Club was reopening after lock down)

No sooner did I walk in the door, I had paperwork shoved into my fat fingered clammy hands, and was asked if I was joining also were the four kids becoming members
and..... "did they want to start making something today, oh we don't do that for the 6yr old unless she can take instructions well, do you have safety gear,
the cost of joining fee, membership fee's (take a moment to breath) birth dates for special recogniton, we are having a General meeting, are you all coming
we love kids in the Club, we cater but there are costs for each meal, let us show you all around. The kids can get to work, the little one is doing a great job.
Just got a call, cleaning out a house this afternoon, family collection, need everyone here to go, Club will have to close at 2pm today."

LOL, it was an interesting 'meet and greet' at the "ROCK Club" :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of this was offensive, but it was all in a rush and I think I suffered a little PTSD later that day from it. :lol: :lol:

I have never had such a whirlwind of information, and enthusiasm, and Club details thrust upon me in my life while still trying to keep a handle on the kids supervision. :8

BUT, at the end of the day, we were fully fledged members, the kids were well on the way to making their first cabochon rocks, even miss 6, they were clearly enthusiastic
and focused, beaming with their achievements. Kato now has an opportunity to learn about silversmithing.
The instructor was amased that the kids were all so focused and attentive to instruction and the work.
We were organised for the General meeting on the Friday evening (my wife even took the minutes)
Prepared for the next Sat for more work on their rocks. (just last weekend)
AND we have been roped in to a "popup mineral show" in a month. :awful: miss 11 and miss 12 will likely be catering the hotdog stand :perfect:

I'm screwed !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: If you don't laugh you have to cry. All this because I took them to a Detecting and Mineral show about 5 years ago.

The General meeting was pretty funny, paid for the meals and got sorted out, bought raffle tickets, sat at the table and ate, the kids felt at home
and were well welcomed by the members. We won a prize with one of our tickets, Kato had the ticket so chose her mineral specimen.
None of the other girls were either disappointed or sad by not winning.

However every ticket that won a prize; that prize ended up in front of the girls as a gift from that member, that was very generous and unexpected.

Images of the girls first days work, and, second days efforts are below.

miss 6
1644806144_img_20220212_131507a.jpg
1644818061_img_20220214_121420a.jpg

miss 11
1644807024_img_20220212_131538a.jpg
1644817674_img_20220214_121849a.jpg

miss 12
1644807902_img_20220212_131806a.jpg
1644817185_img_20220214_121947a.jpg

Kato
1644808038_img_20220212_131822a.jpg
1644817873_img_20220214_121534a.jpg

Rock on I says :Y: next you will be buying all sorts of equipment so Kato along with Miss 12,11 & 6 can keep it up at home in the garage :lol: Oh yeah and your car now resides outside of the garage :lol:

Good stuff GH :clap: you will all enjoy it I'm thinking :beer:

I feel like a YOUTUBB-er using a subject title like that.

Now that everyone has my attention.

It has been two weeks since my last drink...... oh, sorry, wrong group.

It has been two weeks since, I got invited to the ROCK Club, as we call it in our home. (the president texted me to say the Club was reopening after lock down)

No sooner did I walk in the door, I had paperwork shoved into my fat fingered clammy hands, and was asked if I was joining also were the four kids becoming members
and..... "did they want to start making something today, oh we don't do that for the 6yr old unless she can take instructions well, do you have safety gear,
the cost of joining fee, membership fee's (take a moment to breath) birth dates for special recogniton, we are having a General meeting, are you all coming
we love kids in the Club, we cater but there are costs for each meal, let us show you all around. The kids can get to work, the little one is doing a great job.
Just got a call, cleaning out a house this afternoon, family collection, need everyone here to go, Club will have to close at 2pm today."

LOL, it was an interesting 'meet and greet' at the "ROCK Club" :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of this was offensive, but it was all in a rush and I think I suffered a little PTSD later that day from it. :lol: :lol:

I have never had such a whirlwind of information, and enthusiasm, and Club details thrust upon me in my life while still trying to keep a handle on the kids supervision. :8

BUT, at the end of the day, we were fully fledged members, the kids were well on the way to making their first cabochon rocks, even miss 6, they were clearly enthusiastic
and focused, beaming with their achievements. Kato now has an opportunity to learn about silversmithing.
The instructor was amased that the kids were all so focused and attentive to instruction and the work.
We were organised for the General meeting on the Friday evening (my wife even took the minutes)
Prepared for the next Sat for more work on their rocks. (just last weekend)
AND we have been roped in to a "popup mineral show" in a month. :awful: miss 11 and miss 12 will likely be catering the hotdog stand :perfect:

I'm screwed !!

:lol: :lol: :lol: If you don't laugh you have to cry. All this because I took them to a Detecting and Mineral show about 5 years ago.

The General meeting was pretty funny, paid for the meals and got sorted out, bought raffle tickets, sat at the table and ate, the kids felt at home
and were well welcomed by the members. We won a prize with one of our tickets, Kato had the ticket so chose her mineral specimen.
None of the other girls were either disappointed or sad by not winning.

However every ticket that won a prize; that prize ended up in front of the girls as a gift from that member, that was very generous and unexpected.

Images of the girls first days work, and, second days efforts are below.

miss 6
1644806144_img_20220212_131507a.jpg
1644818061_img_20220214_121420a.jpg

miss 11
1644807024_img_20220212_131538a.jpg
1644817674_img_20220214_121849a.jpg

miss 12
1644807902_img_20220212_131806a.jpg
1644817185_img_20220214_121947a.jpg

Kato
1644808038_img_20220212_131822a.jpg
1644817873_img_20220214_121534a.jpg
Too funny ! Where is this Rock club located?

Was all of that for real ?

Yep it was, and just the other night we attended our first second general meeting.

During the early part of this year, things really fell apart, lack of communication, promises from the Club Secretary regarding membership issues not dealt with, email never delivered, likely not sent and apparently I don't know our surname on 5x applications !
No Constitution provided, and my kids can't get instruction while working, the guys are always busy doing other work and not supervising but are charging fee's, it is turning into a mini disaster.
The Club is run pretty much by a single family. This has always been a recipe for problems in my experience with other Clubs.

Unfortunately I had to step up and voice a few things, so that is out on the table now, and I hope going forwards there will be better Club communications. Even Miss 13yrs wanted to voice how she experienced things ( she is a full member too ), that would have been interesting to the rest of the members present at the meeting.
At the very first General Meeting we attended, even my wife stepped up to take the minutes for the meeting, and she is not a member.
Initially the Club was looking forward to having us involved, keen to use our skill sets, asking for it, but then that was nobbled badly, what do you do ?
REALLY SAD because the kids were really keen and we are geared for commitment to anything we do !!

It's really more for school holiday activities, because it is pretty full on now between school and other kid social activities.
And there is a much better Club down South, we may be spending time there, a day trip thing if that happens.

Can only repeat previous comment as to why I avoid clubs. If it's not enjoyable then you don't need it ;)

Latest posts