Do you need a pin pointer if you have an SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwal

Jason
Reaction score
I am considering getting a pin pointer to speed up the process, but curious to know what is the smallest size piece of gold a pin pointer would actually pick up.

Am I better off just using the sdc and half half the dirt as I currently do, or would a pin pointer be able to narrow in on the small bits of gold I am able to find with my detector?

Anyone currently have an sdc and pin pointer? Do you get value out of it, or is it one of those things that you barely use now you have it?

I don't use my pinpointer with the SDC unless I am recovering a deep target or one obscured by obsticals. I only do this because I dig lazy holes (small) and sometimes a fugget will sit in the side wall or under a tree root. Once out of the hole I wave over the coil as it is more reliable.

Don't let this advice stop you from buying more toys. ;)

I have an SDC and a Minelab pinpointer. MY SDC has wireless earphones and this helps me easily move it away if I want to use the pinpointer to find a target in a hole.

My best use of the pinpointer was finding a target half way up the side of a hole when the SDC kept indicating the target was in the hole (ie somewhere still in the bottom). The were very large rocks around that were hard to move. The SDC was screaming but I couldnt find the target..the pinpointer isolated it...turned about to be a very large iron bolt tucked up under one of the large rocks.

I have also used the pinpointer to find small gold in my scoop when I could see it..and I do mean small...0. 018 of a gram.

I like toys so it's handy to have the pinpointer but agree with others..it's your call.

Best of luck!!

I've got both and hardly use the pinponter, in saying that it did help me recover a tiny piece of tin.

Nothing that a magnet wouldn't do.

One worth considering is a FALCON Gold Tracker MD20. I met a bloke in the field one day and they are impressive.

The Falcon will sound off on ferrous objects as you pull away from it or as it approaches the object and vice versa for non ferrous, someone else will be able to clear this up. From memory if you've got gold in black sand you should get audio both ways is how he described it. Pretty sure the Falcon is water proof (the probe at least) and a great tool for creviceing, has a flexible lead from the control box maybe a couple of feet long. It was purchased online from the USA.

Were as the minelab pinponter I have needs to be touching the object to locate it and I mean touching for tiny objects at least.

Just air tested the pro find on a .66 was between 17-20mm

Im going to be using the pro find with the sdc on the beach for sure

Will be interesting to see how they work as a pair on the gold fields tho. I think anything to small and the profind will have to be right on top of it.

If you coin and relic hunt there perfect for that , not really sure how they'll react with the realy small gold tho.

Pin pointer seemed like it was falsing on the wet sand , ended up just using the SDC and pinpointing with that, was fairly good, bit of practice you'll be able to find the sweet spot .

Pin pointer are handy in parks or on ground u dont want to tamper with to much .

I use a pinpointer to find that problem item that hides usually in the side of a hole. The SDC is great to pinpoint but sometimes it needs a little help to move on.
I have used a Minelab and Deteknix and find the Deteknix has less false indications. But you need to keep your detector well away.

I had a pinpointer but sold it.

Its just an extra thing to lug around or lose.

The sdc is the deadliest pinpointer you can get.

Everyone is different but thats my experience.

Cheers

RS

HoudiniHarry said:
I use a pinpointer to find that problem item that hides usually in the side of a hole. The SDC is great to pinpoint but sometimes it needs a little help to move on.
I have used a Minelab and Deteknix and find the Deteknix has less false indications. But you need to keep your detector well away.

Yep the SDC does seem to go ballistic in deeper holes if the target is hiding on the side of the hole. That is where my pin pointer Deteknix wader Li comes in very handy.

Latest posts