Didgeridoo music for my videos.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A question.
I want my videos to have an Australian flavour. I love didgeridoo music. We heard a young guy playing brilliantly at Circular Quay a while back and I bought his CD and I play it in my car regularly, which is what gave me the idea. Now I'm not using his music obviously but there is music available online. The best option I think would be to pay someone a royalty to help them and myself. My question is do you think it would be disrespectful to the indigenous community to use didge music seeing I'm a whitey?

email the guy from the CD, and for permission, he maybe happy with you acknowledging his work, and a link to his website, channel, or place his music can be purchased. I am sure there would be free/royalty free stuff in youtube, or the net. I like the didge, and cant see it being disrespectful.

rocketaroo said:
email the guy from the CD, and for permission, he maybe happy with you acknowledging his work, and a link to his website, channel, or place his music can be purchased. I am sure there would be free/royalty free stuff in youtube, or the net. I like the didge, and cant see it being disrespectful.
Thats a great idea rocketaroo. :)

rocketaroo said:

Was going to suggest the same thing, most muso's would be happy to do that if permission is sought from them. Just asking for permission is a rare thing these days and would certainly earn his respect for doing so.

Didgeridoo is a great instrument, have recorded a few didge sessions in the past and they sounded great, sorry I can't help Rod, the files are on a hard drive somewhere but I can't remember where....... :(

Ya bugger BN!! :p

Ok, ok...never let it be said i dont share....have a good range of traditional didge and other Aboriginal music with full permissions, so I guess a short explanation is in order!

As a 'muso' in my younger days, I played drums in many pub bands around Melbourne at the time, and also worked regularly as a 'session drummer'.

When offered a job with Rio Tinto at their mining operations in the NT, i packed up, flew out and spent the next 15 years working in remote Arnhem Land & Kakadu based aboriginal communities in my job capacity as CDEP Co-ordinator. (employ, train and assess Indigenous participants on heavy mining equipment on behalf of the mine).
For the big boys to mine on Aboriginal land, it was part of the lease agreement to employ and train a certain percentage of the locals.

Anyway to cut a long story short after blabbing about my past, I was invited to audition with well accredited Aboriginal band 'Blekbala Mujik' who quickly signed me for an upcoming NT tour with Yothu Yindi, to replace their original drummer Allen Murphy.

Over the years we became like family and I was given a life-time permit for Arnhem Land entry, and the skin name 'Bungadee'....this made me a skin brother with my good mate Lazarus Murray (didge player for Blekbala Mujik and of ex Yothu Yindi fame), as well as skin brother-in-law to my best mate, the bands leader and vocalist Peter (Apaak) Miller.
Lazarus (Julpurula) was a mad keen Hawks supporters as are myself, and actually taught me to play didge during the many times we watched footy together on TV!

I will send you a collection in mp3 format on a flash drive RJ for you to have a swill through mate....I have your address!

Regards

Heatho said:
rocketaroo said:

Was going to suggest the same thing, most muso's would be happy to do that if permission is sought from them. Just asking for permission is a rare thing these days and would certainly earn his respect for doing so.

Didgeridoo is a great instrument, have recorded a few didge sessions in the past and they sounded great, sorry I can't help Rod, the files are on a hard drive somewhere but I can't remember where....... :(

Awesome mate.....actually you are a person of great interest to me and I would very much love to chat with you one day dude as know your a sound/recording engineer.

I have recently purchased Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 digital recording software for my home studio and have been tinkering with it for the past few weeks running my Yamaha DXT450K e-drums through it as a MIDI plug in.

I can mix down all my stuff to mp3 format no probs and incorporate video tracks along the timeline, but im blowed if i know how to edit MIDI files along the timeline.

Sorry to hijack RJ, maybe better left for another thread.

Will PM ya Heatho.

Here is me mucking around with the Hawks club song laying over the top!

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5pBw3VzTAM[/video]

Practice mate Practice and the timing will come. Proud and loud though and unfortunately will come to a sad end when you meet the scraggers LOL :eek:

Metamorphic said:
I will send you a collection in mp3 format on a flash drive RJ for you to have a swill through mate....I have your address!

Regards

Meta that would be awesome. Thank you so much .

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will still talk to some local elders to see how they feel about it. Our local ABC radio has a weekly segment "Meet the Mob" where they talk to local indigenous people so there's my entry point.

Latest posts