Detecting in horse Paddock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was asked the other day whilst detecting on the beach by a woman on a horse if I was local and could detect in her horse paddock.
One of her horses lost a staple (from his shoe I presume) and she said that she could not put a horse in that paddock until she found the staple - it was about 3 inches long.
Well I wasn't exactly local (35 min drive) and it was a week day and I do have a day job so I declined.
Should I have said yes??
Anything I detect I own.
Could have been good practice with digging and back filling- being a newby.
Thoughts??

Would have been good for the experience and ya never know what she might have rewarded you with for your troubles, like a slab of your fav beverage :D I'd be in that.

Don't know what she means by "staple " , if she is referring to the Nail in the shoe she is panicking about nothing .

When a Farrier puts a shoe on a horse , the "nail " ends up through the outer of the hoof and he twists the end off and then taps the now flat/blunt broken end over to make it "lock"into the hoof .

Horses will lose nails ( and shoes ) all the time .

Well I guess next time I could oblige but it would have to be a weekend treasure hunt, and if you have to dig in dung for a treasure I'm sure most of us would. I reckon griding and the experience would have been reward enough.

I would have happily agreed ...
Ok you would have had to put it off till the weekend or whenever suited you... But thats life
Im sure that would have been fine by her...
you never know what you might have found ... And you never know what other leads may have come
And if nothing else, it would have been a good deed done and that can be a reward in itself

I concur wholeheartedly.
Sandta said:
I would have happily agreed ... it would have been a good deed done and that can be a reward in itself

Well thanks for all your thoughts. I don't know much about horses except that they're big and probably taste alright. Just going on what she had said and that the horse pulled it out or lost it. The beach I will go to once a week in the wee hours of the morning so only ppl there are horse riders taking their horses out for a swim/run. If an opportunity like that comes up I will try to say yes, I guess most of what we do is not too local. Caravan show is on in Melbourne today so might pop in and have a chat with the guys at Miners Den - there store is pretty local to me.
PS...was only interested in the horse paddock not her paddock......(well that's what I tell myself)

Latest posts