Detecting around Georgetown

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Heading up to western creek first 2 weeks in May. Have talked to shirley to let her know
i,am coming. Will be swinging sdc and maybe 4500 if i can hire in ctowers. I,am a novice been detecting aroung gladstne for 6mths been to Clermont twice with not much found in way of color. Heaps of rubbish. Anyway as it is a 3000k round trip chasing info on the area. Can ys swing any place as long as ya pay fees. Any advice help much appreciated.
Thanks Polky.

I was there a couple of days ago for work, close to Georgetown a lot of it is fenced, so you may need to seek permissions, and there is quite a lot of water in the Delaney at the moment, if you were looking at the creek beds. Further afield I dont know about, and I have to admit to being new at this, so you may know all this already!

Polky
I have detected in this area & have just got back from a week there.
The best person to ask where you can detect is Geoff Brown the owner, as this will depend on the season & where his stock is & a number of any other reasons, you cannot detect on the leases & there are a few.
There is a guy you could hire a GPX5000 from in Forsyath.
Lee

Thanks for info fellas. Lee i read ya write up which helped me decide to go up for a swing. I have a good camp set up,
can camp out for 12 days. So plan to spend 4 days w/creek, 4 days dells hole 4 days exploring where owners let me.
Than2ks again.

Whats the ground like aroung Georgetown, mate trying to talk me into going to Clermont says grass
will be a drama up there.

Yee_ha Georgetown it is. Lee how do I find the fella that hires the 5000.

cheers polky

Hi Lee, I have 10 posts up now. Not asking where to dig, but how and what areas. Do I drive to spots
or are the areas near camp area. As this will be my 5th time out just looking for pointers.
Lee will be on my own with the sdc, thinking of hiring the 5k for 3 days leaving in factory settings,
As a fella with alot more experience am I getting some where near the mark. Will be there for 7 days
swinging, or just use the sdc.

Not wanting to be a pain just asking advice from fellas who know a lot more than me.

Lee Do you have any details of the land ownership in the Georgetown area?

Last time I was up there, (for work, so didn't have a lot of spare time) all the areas I was thinking of looking at were fenced, and was wondering who to cotact for permissions

cairnspom said:
Lee Do you have any details of the land ownership in the Georgetown area?

Last time I was up there, (for work, so didn't have a lot of spare time) all the areas I was thinking of looking at were fenced, and was wondering who to cotact for permissions

Hey Mate
Have a look at this post for info, I did ask the mods to make it a sticky to help others we are still waiting for that.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10159

As far as other Private land, well that is just trial and error, but in saying that there is plenty of country to detect on the places I have listed, frankly more than you could check in 3 lifetimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Lee

Hi. We spent several weeks in and around Georgetown last August. We spent time at Flat Creek, Dells Hole and Western Creek. All of these places were great and the station owners very welcoming and their detecting fees very reasonable. We met some great people too. This was our first serious detecting trip and we were happy with our finds. We have a 5000 and a 2300. While you are in the area, check out Cobold Gorge, it's a great way to treat yourself after a few weeks in the gold fields. No detecting here but a wonderful place for some relaxation.

Anne

Latest posts