Desert dwellers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Yesterday I watched a Goldtalk's Youtube video where Tony was showing the tracks left behind in the fresh dust from the dryblower Tiny.

1646791342_hopping_mouse_prints.jpg

I spotted these tracks in the dust from our dryblower a few weeks back.

1646791398_hopping_mouse1.jpg

This morning this little fellow came hopping by.

1646791447_hopping_mouse2.jpg

I tried to gently pick him up to see if he/she had a pouch but I didn't get a grip and he went on his way stopping behind the next stone or bush to hide.

Very little is known about the pebble-mound mouse and the Pilbara species was only described 40 or so years ago. I don't think that is one but cute little guy just the same. A few years ago I was lucky enough to prospect in an area that had active mounds and I was intrigued to discover how they built their mounds. I noticed some pebbles on a young, small spinifex plant, only 6 inches or so in diameter with soft green spines. This was about 5 m from an active mound and there is no way those pebbles got there by themselves. There were also a few pebbles on other plants that looked like tests, but there was one plant in particular that had quite a pile. By putting the pebbles on the spinifex it flattens and bends the spines so they are curved downwards producing a small cavity. I think this is the start of the mound and they burrow and built from there. I had to leave and intended to return to see what happened but other stuff got in the way so never made it back to test my theory.

Around Meeka you might notice the odd random hole that is easily mistaken for a dig hole but is made by an animal. Sometimes there are patches of them. Often under/around a mulga. Obviously a lot of work but what was it chasing that would make the effort worthwhile? It took me ages to work out what was going on there. I reckon they are made by Bungarras digging up trapdoor spiders. I came across one where the Bungarra had made a perfect excavation and split the tunnel leaving half the silken tube in the face.

Don't take the above as gospel, they are just conclusions based on my observations. Keeping your eyes open when you are prospecting and thinking about what you see is rewarding in more ways than one.

Stingray said:
Very little is known about the pebble-mound mouse and the Pilbara species was only described 40 or so years ago. I don't think that is one but cute little guy just the same. A few years ago I was lucky enough to prospect in an area that had active mounds and I was intrigued to discover how they built their mounds. I noticed some pebbles on a young, small spinifex plant, only 6 inches or so in diameter with soft green spines. This was about 5 m from an active mound and there is no way those pebbles got there by themselves. There were also a few pebbles on other plants that looked like tests, but there was one plant in particular that had quite a pile. By putting the pebbles on the spinifex it flattens and bends the spines so they are curved downwards producing a small cavity. I think this is the start of the mound and they burrow and built from there. I had to leave and intended to return to see what happened but other stuff got in the way so never made it back to test my theory.

Around Meeka you might notice the odd random hole that is easily mistaken for a dig hole but is made by an animal. Sometimes there are patches of them. Often under/around a mulga. Obviously a lot of work but what was it chasing that would make the effort worthwhile? It took me ages to work out what was going on there. I reckon they are made by Bungarras digging up trapdoor spiders. I came across one where the Bungarra had made a perfect excavation and split the tunnel leaving half the silken tube in the face.

Don't take the above as gospel, they are just conclusions based on my observations. Keeping your eyes open when you are prospecting and thinking about what you see is rewarding in more ways than one.

Big holes under mulga can be Abs looking for honey ants.

Last year up the pilbara we were having a night cap after dinner and washing up,i was sitting a few feet outside the awning and the boss was just under it,i said to her stay still there's a mouse under ya chair,he hoped off under our quad nearby and then i chased him for ten feet odd but lost him in the spinafex.
I've never seen one b4 and was keen to grab him for a quick look,his front feet were small and i believe it was the hopping mouse,looked them up when we got service and it said they'll be in burrows usually of 10-15 in the pack,what a cute little native,2 weeks in that spot and we didn't spot any others but we did start looking after dark around camp....

Latest posts