Ctx Madness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got out for 2 hours today for a swing at the honey hole, was near to the spot I found the gold ring the other day, no more gold this time but got a few goldies, a couple of Penny's too, gotta be Silvers around somewhere but.... none today.

1450845030_20151223_145017.jpg

Had a couple of hours spare today, so I hit my fav spot again and must have missed this line of coins. Only got one modern coin today and 9 pre decimals, 2x half penny's, 6x Sixpence and one Shilling. The rest of the moderns I got from the last hunt.

All the PD's were in a straight line and I have detected this spot before, though there is a lot of junk and all these were pretty deep, the ground seemed extra conductive due to the rain we have had.

1451200676_20151227_174709.jpg

1451200676_20151227_174718.jpg

1451200676_20151227_174729.jpg

Sweet Sixpences, funny how they always seem to get overlooked on initial detects, though on subsequent hunts they literally come popping out of the ground. Seems to be a common coin on mop up missions, even more so than the threepence, or at least for me they are. :)

Couple of silvers today, pretty slim pickins, went back to the same place again. Gave the coins a quick rub with with bi-carb but the Shilling is still really grotty, now trying the foil, bi-carb and boiling water trick, that should help it to clean up a bit better.

1451371602_20151229_174024.jpg

Havinago said:
Nice Heatho, whats the go with the foil trick?

You get a square of foil and put it in a plastic container like half a 2 litre milk bottle, then cover the foil with soda bi carb, then put your coins on top of the bi carb, then tip in some more bi carb to cover the coins, then tip in boiling water straight from the kettle only use just enough hot water to cover the coins. Leave it sit for an hour or 2 and then rub with bi carb as per usual and the crud should come off much easier.

Sometimes this method will give the coins a pinky colour but not always, sometimes it just seems to be the best way to do it.

Coil on the CTX died today, pretty severely grumpy about it too, couldn't have happened at a worse time, won't get a replacement until probably late next week, man I hate this time of year!!! At least the grog shop is open.......

Pretty crap design the way the cable sits and connects into the coil, Minelab could have done way better than a cable that sits at a near right angle and then goes straight into the coil.

Might have to dust off the Aldi and go for a swing....... Aldi has lasted twice as long as the CTX.

Thats bloody bad news mate :(
Do you think its something you have done ? or is it just bad design and down to natural attrition ?
Either way its not good.
Have you spoken to Minelab?
Is it covered by waranty ?
Sorry for all the questions but im sure a lot will be interested ... especially the outcome

Sandta said:
Thats bloody bad news mate :(
Do you think its something you have done ? or is it just bad design and down to natural attrition ?
Either way its not good.
Have you spoken to Minelab?
Is it covered by waranty ?
Sorry for all the questions but im sure a lot will be interested ... especially the outcome

Hey Sandta, yeah it's still under warranty, just one of those things I guess, it's never been mistreated, just a poor design the way the cable sits and goes into the coil from the shaft, it's like an "S" bend. I spoke to Minelab today and being this time of year it will take a bit longer than usual to send a new one back to me. They said that when they recieve the faulty one they will send a replacement back the same day. I shipped it express today but it won't arrive there until Monday, I doubt minelab will send one back by express sooooo I'm hoping for it to be here by late next week if I'm lucky.

Minelab usually have pretty good customer service so I'm sure it will all be sorted no worries, just bloody annoying that it's still new, I've only had it for 5 months.

Oh well, I'm going to go for a swing with the aldi, back in a couple of hours.........

Heatho said:
Coil on the CTX died today, pretty severely grumpy about it too, couldn't have happened at a worse time, won't get a replacement until probably late next week, man I hate this time of year!!! At least the grog shop is open.......

Pretty crap design the way the cable sits and connects into the coil, Minelab could have done way better than a cable that sits at a near right angle and then goes straight into the coil.

Might have to dust off the Aldi and go for a swing....... Aldi has lasted twice as long as the CTX.

Crickey that sucks mate, I have not really been that nice to mine and it has not missed a beat. Tried to go over a site today after all the rain and had to use the CTX as a walking stick to get myself out of the mud. Did they mention that they knew of it being a problem?

Latest posts