Crevice sucker use in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings All

Just a quick question. I know dredging is illegal in Vic. My idea of dredging is motorised dredging. Is it ok to use a small hand dredge about the size of a yabby pump?

Thanks. :Y:

Best advice would be to put 'crevice sucker' into the search bar on here and have a flick through the posts discussing this topic.

There are many from diys to debates on rules etc.
Rules state 'hand tools only, no machinery'.

Also try to avoid the word 'dredge' in posts as they are most definitely illegal :eek:

TGW.

Technically even a crevice sucker would probably be illegal as it's still a micro dredge, but it's unlikely you would get in trouble for it.
Anything bigger and you won't get much sympathy if you get fined or locked up.

Matt80 said:
Technically even a crevice sucker would probably be illegal as it's still a micro dredge, but it's unlikely you would get in trouble for it.
Anything bigger and you won't get much sympathy if you get fined or locked up.

You won't get locked up using a dredge unless you're caught floating one of these bad boys down the Loddon River:

1537157338_capture.jpg

A yabby pump would most likely be no worries as it's a hand tool.

Any mechanical dredge no matter the size is illegal. :Y:

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated. I won't be firing up the Maldon dredge lol.

Something more along these lines. See pic.

1537161955_pump.jpg

Cheers.

I doubt you would ever have any issues with that yabby/crevice pump. have you got a link to that pump? I do like the look of it...

1968falconxt said:
I doubt you would ever have any issues with that yabby/crevice pump. have you got a link to that pump? I do like the look of it...

google gold-n-sand

I bought one of those a while back, and it was very flimsy - had to re-glue pretty much everything, now it works a treat. If you get one buy some extra valves as well. They do wear out.

also the aussie dollar was a lot stronger back then - a lot more exxy now, but the bloke who sells them is good on the customer service, answers questions promptly etc

Ten Ounce Tone back in the day, made a great one of dem fings!
But, yeah, that would be legal... put a longer hose on the suction end, have the missus pump the handle, then go on in with the selective crevice nozzle!!!
You'll CLEAN UP!! :8 :)

Hmmm, think we should loose the slang of "dredging" re: yabby pumps usage.
Or loose them too!
Dredging is an act, not necessarily directed at the use of a pump attached.
ok, look above at the picture, do you see a vacume type implement? No!
But it's a dredge the same!
More legal defination would be good, but we dont want a blanket description on everything.
This is why miss understanding has got us in a big mess of high banking etc!

Those section pumps are not illegal. But I would give that type of suction pump with reverse valves and such a miss. They are more trouble than they are worth, especially for the money. They block up and fall over and the parts come apart as well as the no return valves wearing out real quick. Just go to BCF and get yourself a stainless steel yabbie pump. when you are on a creek use shovels and what not until you are on bedrock and clean up the bottom by yabbieing into a bucket or tub. Far simpler and quicker. Have a look at Chris's videos to see how. google vo-gus prospecting and go to his youtube videos.

Araluen

Latest posts