Coolgardie WA Western Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im fairly new to prospecting and
obviously everyone has their secret spots and mining leases. However, My dad and I have been scratching around both north and south of Coolgardie (WA) and yet to find a thing. We use a mine lab 4500 and only been finding wire and tin. I have also looked though Doug stones books and gold and ghosts so I know there is gold in my location.
I was wondering if anyone had any successful places they wouldnt mind sharing or some handy hints like salt and pepper land with black butts.

/ side note: I also have a gold pan and dolly pan but have only found a few specks at most.

Finding any shot pellets. If so you are doing things right. The coolgardie area is hamered ground and hars to.find stuff how ever bits are still found. Head a little further north

shakergt said:
Finding any shot pellets. If so you are doing things right. The coolgardie area is hamered ground and hars to.find stuff how ever bits are still found. Head a little further north

Further north as In into Ora Banda or bonnievale?

Hi all, I'm new to detecting and was wondering if anyone can give me some info on detecting allong the stretch between Coolgardie and Davyhurst. I'm a fisherman from Kangaroo Island, I'm pretty good at finding fish but totally wet behind the ears when it comes to gold. Cheers from Dave

Mate
Your best bet would be go into the Mines Dept Office in Coolgardie
They will be able to help you out big time and print relevant maps .....

Got my license in Coolgardie,The office lady pointed me to an area that had just been registered that morning. "Must be something there" ;)

good starting point!....up on the Daveyhurst road on Credo Stn there is some interesting country on the West side of the road North of the omestead.

You will see an old open pit (found gold around it 1000 years ago) and then North to a historic mine Frog (or something). Funny country though
could never get the feel for it.
Hope that helps.

Thanks to everyone that has replied, I appreciate your advice and I'll spend a day or two at Coolgardie and go to the Mines Office for some heads up, if anyone else has some advice please let me know, I'm going to spend a month over there and have been told to check out Leonora and Laverton.I'd normally be in northern NSW with my boat by now but I think WA will be a good alternative this winter. I'll see you when our borders open which hopefully will be soon and I'll keep you informed how my newfound hobby is progressing. Cheers from Dave :beer: :beer:

I didn't end up going Phil 8303, the borders were closed to WA so I went to Claremont in Queensland instead and I found a little bit there. I went to the Mt Magnet area in March this year and I found enough there to pay for my trip which I was pretty happy about.