converting 3 phase motor to electric

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can any electrical gurus advice if this can be converted to 240 volt motor ?

Its a Gold Shaking Machine i seen for sale but i dont have 3 phase electrics , i have a spare 240 volts 2.5 horepower motor.

Can 2.5 horse be strong enough ?

1473404700_13041580.jpg

You would need to get the specs of the 3 phase motor, and with that we could work out what hp that motor is, and therefore tell you the size needed in a single phase motor.

Or buy a single phase to 3 phase inverter and run it as 3 phase, my
Grand father has a 3phase hoist running on one
No problem

2.5HP is SFA when it comes to single phase, as the current 3 phase motor on the machine looks like a 5.5KW or bigger
to run a single phase motor to to the same job as the current 3PH motor, it will need to be much larger, as the 1PH wont have the torque required to do the work you need, so you will need much larger supply cables and control to supply it
Or you could run the current 3PH motor off a 1PH to 3PH VFD (Variable frequency drive) or phase converter, but to do this you will need much larger supply cables and control to supply it
Gettin the picture, you dont get something for nothing!..and every time you change a process or product, you will always have some form of losses involved.

nah, thats not an issue..it can be geared up or down easily by changing the pulley sizes, same as bicycle gears
but a smaller drive R pulley will draw more amps.
FYI
there is a few on ebay for about $1500

Yeah, but you need to run it on the three phase first to work out what speed it needs, just guessing with a new single phase will cause teething problems, but yeah, could be sorted with pulleys. I have a inverter I don't use or want anymore, but it's pretty small not sure it will run that. Can you take a photo of the spec plate?

mate i saw that a few weeks ago .

Its correct name is " gold shaker table "

It doesnt have an offset cam drive to shake the table , it has a flywheel with offset counterweights to shake it so you may be able to drop to single phase if you can gain some efficiency in the drive.

If it was mine , i would go to a reduction gearbox so you get around 3 - 4 cycles per second and you only need a stroke of around 5 - 12 mm , that thing would have shaken like a Hula dancer so you should need way less horsepower than it originally used , 4 cycles per second needs 240 RPM at the output shaft (equals a 6:1 reduction on a 1475 RPM motor).

, however the riffles on that table are too high in my opinion , they would be around 12 mm height so although you should give it a test run first before modifying them , i think you will end up shaving them down to 4 - 5 mm height to suit fine gold.

The easiest and most accurate way to do that is to get a bit of 20 x 5 steel flat bar 4 - 8 inches long , sit it next to the plastic riffle and run an angle grinder over the riffles with a 60 - 80 grit flapper disc , using the flat bar for a height gauge.

The catch tanks have rust in them , unless you have a mate with a sheetmetal folder then youre only option is to put a layer of fiberglass inside the tanks.

Youre in for alot of work but it beats paying $ 25 grand for a new one.

the other important detail is setting the thing up , the slope on the table top is critical , so too is the amount of water flowing across it , the water flow is the last thing you fiddle with and will change for every different type of material you put across the table.

They are usually set up with a level on the frame , get the frame exactly level and the table should have the right slope , i think from memory they use 4 degrees for a starting point.

ps , i have a few motors in my factory with offset cams , i will take a look tomorrow and see whats there.

Occasional_panner said:
Yeah, but you need to run it on the three phase first to work out what speed it needs, just guessing with a new single phase will cause teething problems, but yeah, could be sorted with pulleys. I have a inverter I don't use or want anymore, but it's pretty small not sure it will run that. Can you take a photo of the spec plate?
no, that is incorrect too!
a standard 50HZ /4 pole /3 phase motor will have a rated speed of about 1440 rpm at the shaft,
the formula is N=120f/p..which equates to Speed = 120 (phase angle differance) times f (supply frequency) divided by p (number of magnetic poles built into windings of the machine), this is based on a synchronous machine without any slip..this equals 1500rpm
as anything electrical, there where will be losses. this is where the magnetic field will move faster than the actual rotating armature, causing a differance in rotating speed (slip), hence the differance between the two numbers as stated above ..1500 rpm with no slip, 1440 with slip.
there is calculators that can work out what size pulleys you need at both the Drive R end and the Drive N end, and even what size belt to use, with reference to the distance between shaft centers and pulley sizes...i have a few Apps on my phone that do exactly this.
good luck, schools out!

Nightjar said:
Hmmm! Text book warrior. We're talking about the real world.
This table looks like it is has most of the Wilfley Table design.
CS, There is heaps of info on good old google. You may get a few ideas from these images.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...wDysQyjcIKA&ei=kDHTV6beB8qf0gTW4bzYAg#imgrc=_
yeah , good on ya mate
not text book warrior, but someone who actually knows what they are talking about, not a keyboard warrior like yourself!
trying to get the point across that you cant do what he wants to do by just pluging any old 1PH motor in expecting it to work
he wanted actual electrical knowledge on his options and if it can be done without spending any money, short answer..NO!
good luck, do what you like, let it burn your shed down!...i dont care

Sheesh, all I was saying was to run it on the three phase power to see what speed it runs at so you could match it up as close as possible with a single phase, dunno how that's wrong.
Anyway I'm not interested in a pi$$ing match.

Latest posts