Competition / Rivalry

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody !

As I said in some other posts I am planning a trip in Westernn Australia in march 2020 to prospect for gold. I have almost all the information needed.

I heard some feedbacks (rumors?) saying that there is an hard competition between prospectors. Which conducts to intimidation and violence. A friend told me that a friend of him has his car burnt.

Is that true ? What is your opinion.

Moreover, I am french and it appears that frenchs have a bad reputation in Australia (because of the bad behavior of some). Is it more risky for a french to prospect?

Maybe my questions are stupid. But I wanted to have your thought.

Thanks ;)

Na ...You'll be right mate.
We love frenchies :lol:
1572466333_20191031_060952-800x553.jpg

G'day

There have been incidences of people being intimidated and vehicles damaged but it has not been restricted only to French people and can happen to anyone, its not the normal thing that goes on here of course but it does happen occasionally in some areas, sometimes by the locals of that place who have an issue against blow ins (meaning foreigners and interstate prospectors) taking gold off what they see as their ground and they will try to scare people away from there, or in the case of vehicle damage its mainly opportunistic thieves looking for money or anything of value left in the vehicle.

There are people who are well known in some areas that will use intimidation tactics to try and keep people away from their leases which is understandable if you are illegally prospecting on their lease, but some go much further than that by even chasing people off leases that are not even theirs to police, the mines department and police already know who these louts are but nothing is really ever done to bring them into line, but you have to use common sense and realise that you are in their territory and if you are confronted its safer to just leave and report them to the police, but if you stay and argue the point then that's when you might have issues, I am not saying not to stand your ground as some are just bluffing, but if they really try to intimidate you with threats of violence then just try to get their car registration, try to remember what they look like or any other details, and then just leave the place straight away and report them to the police.

Check with the mines department on the areas you are going to as they could probably advise you on the places to avoid, first and foremost is you have to know where you are at all times and that you have either a permit or permission to be there, but aso remember that if a situation arises and you report it you can also be charged yourself and fined for illegal prospecting, and you could even have all your gear confiscated, car, detector and so on, if they find that you were not supposed to be there in the first place.

cheers

stayyerAU

Smoky bandit said:
Na ...You'll be right mate.
We love frenchies :lol:

I feel some sarcasm here :lol:

Thank you stayyerAU for your complete answer. :Y: That is completely what I was thinking. If you are bothered go away. There are plenty other grounds to detect.

Joffrey

goodaye Joffrey, you will be just fine if you bring a couple/several beautiful French women with you, to distract the Wildmen with gold fever :playful:
ps, be sure not to cross into anyones lease area. You need to make SURE you know where the boundaries are.
The local WA Mines Dept has an online system called Tengraph for this. If you haven't seen it yet, you need more research.
https://is2e1.dmp.wa.gov.au/nidp/idff/sso for New User Registration
&
http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Minerals/Miners-Rights-2427.aspx

DED

Hi Joffrey, you will be fine. Just make sure you detect where you are legally allowed to and you wont have a problem.

Yes the frogs are over represented in the big book of d!ckhead detectorist as far as international detectorist go, but that may just be because there may be more of you visiting than other nationalities.

Still you have a long way to go before you knock them Victorians out of first place :D

Ahah Ded Driver, I will do my best to bring some.
Yes I know Tengraph. And I will make sure to respect lease areas.

Tank you Madtuna.

If you are not far from Kalgoorlie. I could pay you a beer to excuse my previous french fellows. I be glad to meet some of you.

Joffrey

Joffrey
You may not know the reference to the photo of the guy posted by Smoky bandit.
It refers to A chilling, factually based story of three road-trippers in remote Australia who are plunged into danger when they accept help from a friendly local. Kristy, Ben and Liz are three friends in their twenties who set out to hike through the scenic Wolf Creek National Park in the Australian Outback. The trouble begins when they find that their car won't start and they run into a local bushman named Mick Taylor.
There was a movie made about the story and the photo is of the actor John Jarrat who plaid Mick Taylor. Do a google on the movie Wolf Creek.
The post of the photo is Aussie humour. Have a laugh.
Cheers

Dignit said:
Joffrey
You may not know the reference to the photo of the guy posted by Smoky bandit.
It refers to A chilling, factually based story of three road-trippers in remote Australia who are plunged into danger when they accept help from a friendly local. Kristy, Ben and Liz are three friends in their twenties who set out to hike through the scenic Wolf Creek National Park in the Australian Outback. The trouble begins when they find that their car won't start and they run into a local bushman named Mick Taylor.
There was a movie made about the story and the photo is of the actor John Jarrat who plaid Mick Taylor. Do a google on the movie Wolf Creek.
The post of the photo is Aussie humour. Have a laugh.
Cheers

I admit I did not get it ahah. Thank you for giving me the context ! ;)

Joffrey said:
Ahah Ded Driver, I will do my best to bring some.
Yes I know Tengraph. And I will make sure to respect lease areas.

Tank you Madtuna.

If you are not far from Kalgoorlie. I could pay you a beer to excuse my previous french fellows. I be glad to meet some of you.

Joffrey
All good mate...I'm about 400 klms from Kal, plus I'm sick of burying French blokes :D

Latest posts