Coin Collections and Birthday Ideas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday All I trust you all had a wonderful Christmas. My wife and I travelled to Sydney to see my mother and grandmother for Christmas and while we were there we got chatting about the old PDs Ive been finding while detecting, the conversation changed to my mother and grandmother saying that they both had some old coins lying around that we could have. My mother explained that she was try to collect the birth year dates of our family but never fully completed it so now I have a small coin collection starting.

What I have decided to do is clean up my mothers birth year coins and mount them or set them in some nice timber to give to her for her birthday. So what I tentatively done was grab a 1951 Penny and see how it would go with a polish using some mothers mag polish and a dremel polishing tip and the results are quite remarkable (Disclaimer I would not recommend doing this to potentially valuable coins and I am only doing this as a one off for a birthday present idea ;) ).

If you have a coin collection and would like to share by all means add to this thread :)

The starting of a coin collection

Original condition vs Polished

I have also started collecting coins since I started detecting and my Mum also gave me a tin of old coins. I'll dig up some pics. Great Idea with the birth year coins. If p v you set them in a piece of timber it could be used to sit hot pots n pans on. Attractive and practical. ;)

Mothers mag polish? What's that mate? Looks like it does a much better job than brasso. I don't really have a neat collection or sorted. Some are..ill see if I can find them soon

AtomRat said:
Mothers mag polish? What's that mate? Looks like it does a much better job than brasso. I don't really have a neat collection or sorted. Some are..ill see if I can find them soon

Yeah mate you get it at super cheap, Mothers is the brand name, don't know how it will go with elbow grease alone as i use a dremel with the little buffing pad ;)

The above photo doesnt include my finds as yet they are just the ones gifted to me :)

Latest posts