coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisho

sean bishop
Reaction score
where can i find out info about coils. i bought a gpx 4000 and as yet have not used it. As winter is fast approaching and the water temp is dropping you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work out that it is gonna be more comfortable using a detector instead of playing with water. At this moment i am studying up about how to use it, but i would like to know if there is any sites that can explain the difference between them all

cheers

Bisho

I read in recent issue of Gold gem treasure an article on coils by woody. Interesting article that basically stated there is virtually no difference between any of the mass produced coils, minelab, coiltek, nugget finder, etc they are the same in many ways & it's just personal preference. however with them being mass produce you can get a really good one or an average one even in identical coil. Full article worth a read in my opinion I think it was summed up pretty good.
I'd stick with the coil you got with machine or until at least you master the machine and find gold to pay for more.

dave14110 said:
I read in recent issue of Gold gem treasure an article on coils by woody. Interesting article that basically stated there is virtually no difference between any of the mass produced coils, minelab, coiltek, nugget finder, etc they are the same in many ways & it's just personal preference. however with them being mass produce you can get a really good one or an average one even in identical coil. Full article worth a read in my opinion I think it was summed up pretty good.
I'd stick with the coil you got with machine or until at least you master the machine and find gold to pay for more.
do you know which edition of G,G amd treasure???

Wolfau said:
Here you go.

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11792/KBA_02-1_Coil_Selection_Guide.pdf

I am moving away from using monos. Yes they are more
Sensitive but i think nuggets have been missed by those
Using a mono and not overlapping correct compared to
A dd that scans the width straight down do its like a wide
Laser beam.

I am using a 3500 and have been told by 2
professional prospectors this is their beliefs.

Each to there own though.

cheers for the info, i appreciate it :)

Your welcome.

Generally you need an 8" for mullock heaps
Maybe 11" as a general use coil and maybe
14" coil for around gullies.

i had a gp3000 i tried a eliptical mono from a friend and took it off after 5min, i then purchased a 24x12dd "big red" and together it was a great combination,picking up pieces in the .gram mark.
I have always liked DD's they run very smooth,send through signals that after awhile you can start to pick the difference between lead and steel/trash,and they seem to be more resistant to EMI,once you have worked out the most sensative part is usually directly under the sticker at the front of the coil,pinpointing with even a coil as big as a 24x12 becomes a breeze.
I am currently using mono's on the 5 but with out researching what capabilites might be restricted on the 5 by running a DD im am still fence sitting........................thoughts anyone? 8)

Bisho I am also of the same opinion as wolfau & also believe better ground coverage & the DD has better penitration in heavy mineralized ground which I have read in past can't remember book.
Article by woody In GGT mag was only recently about 2-3 issue's back I think.

+1 on the DD's I have a gpx4500 and gave away my mono's for DD coils. You give up some depth in quiet ground of course but gold and highly mineralized ground often go together making their depth advantage negligible. I agree being able to cover ground efficiently is important in finding gold missed by mono's.

I had a very experienced prospector tell me to use dd.

He said gold is being missed due to many mono operators
Not overlapping the coil properly. This is his findings in
The wa goldfields.

I spoke with another prospector tonight on the phone and
He said the same thing.

I am thinking of buying the 15x12dd sef coil.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/ZaSVWS3-KOg[/video]

If that works for me i will sell the 14" NF, 11" mono,
15x12 mono And the 450mm dd.

I took out my gp3500 today for a serious detect. Very
Happy with outlay just need to find the right coil which
Does not pick up the reddy brown spot ground noise
That scans the ground properly not to a v point.

Interesting clip Redfin. A real can of worms to be sure. I am one of the newbies (2 years detecting with Gpx5000) and have never used the DD, in fact I wasn't even going to take it west this year until I read this thread. Also keep the stabilizer down at 2 or 3!!!!!......... But we have found gold. :/

We'll be in the triangle early April for a week or so on our way west, Dunolly for the vanilla slices and a bit of a swing in the surrounds including around Amherst. Would be good to catch up with a couple of members with a view to comparing coils (Mono V DD) and settings.

Cheers

Qlden and the missus

I believe that the coil choice should suit the conditions on the day at the location your detecting. If the conditions are right i would favor a mono coil, however if there is lot of emi, Iron trash or the grounds very hot then i would use a DD. If the DD coil is used on a GPX series detector and you use the smooth class of timings ie, fine, enhance and sens. smooth then it is recommended you use the DD coil in mono mode.

I do agree that people in certain areas are leaving gold behind because they are not selecting the right coil for the area, this means DD and mono.

Bisho, stick with and use the two coils that came with your 4000 the 11" mono and 11"dd these two coils will cover 99% of your detecting needs for now. :)