Coffs Harbour NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol Her Eyes are Googlie.... :lol:

When you get 10 posts up Lulu2.0 you can PM (private message) me...

Best to have someone with you in your Hunt... There are some strange people that live in them there hills... :8

LW...

Yeh ! i was trying to work out who lite the fires out there.
The Prospectors & Detectorists seeking more open cleared ground.
The Dope Growers attempting to let more sunlight in.
or the others out to destroy their crops.
Sometimes it`s a good idea to keep your eyes & ears open around there in Autumn harvesting time..
If you see a fenced wire patch out there best to walk away quietly. :skull:

goody2shoes said:
Mmmmm my reply was deleted? :(

Why was your post Deleted Goody?.. I hope there is NO Agenda against you... :mad:

No Bush, A fire was started at Ebor... But Yes it was started by someone 'Protecting' his Cash crop... He was charged and dealt with...

The Nana Glen fire started at NE Glen Innes ... At one stage it was the biggest fire in NSW at the time...

Watch out for Booby Traps... If you back out, go the same way you entered....

LW...

Bush said:
Manpa said:
Are you sure it was deleted and not just a missed post? I know Ive done that before.

Jaros did it. :playful:

I know that was an attempt at humour, due to the emoji, but its also in my eyes an attempt to stir the pot. I just wish people would leave well enough alone and move on.

Manpa said:
Bush said:
Manpa said:
Are you sure it was deleted and not just a missed post? I know Ive done that before.

Jaros did it. :playful:

I know that was an attempt at humour, due to the emoji, but its also in my eyes an attempt to stir the pot. I just wish people would leave well enough alone and move on.

Might be playful but--------------NO.

Hey guys and girls

So I finally decided where Id head today to really give panning a go. Where I was headed was about 1 & 1/2 hours out. But as per normal I was running late dropping the kids off. The drive was taking longer as I was driving much slower than the limits on the mountain (first time on that particular road, and wow!)
Any hoo I was still a good 30 mins out from location and decided to go back to a little river I had driven over and try my luck.

And I had no luck. :lol:

With the time I had, I managed to test pan 3 spots and then had to bail.
Huge quartz veins in the bedrock in the river and along the river bed. I wish I had gotten to my original chosen spot.

Any hoo. Hopefully I can get out on the weekend somewhere with the kids and try again.

Managed to find this bad boy on my way out. Hopefully its lucky hahaha

1612437044_2ac305ed-f4da-473e-ad0b-898ba568f0f6.jpg

Hi Goody,

Just adding to the mention that a lot of the gold bearing creeks around Coffs Harbour are within State Forests which require a permit.

The other thing that has become very noticeable recently are the very large areas of State Forests in northern NSW that have had Exploration Leases (EL) put over them. As Coffs Harbour Shire is NOT a Declared Fossicking Area this means that all of these areas under EL are now out of bounds without permission from the mining company. There's a huge part of Northern NSW that was available only a year or so ago that is now gone. You find this out by looking at the Forestry NSW maps of State Forests and it brings up cross hatched areas that are some sort of lease. Click on the cross hatching and you can see who has the lease, when it began and when it expires.
One assumes this is happening because of the global price rise of gold during COVID times. It may be time for some of these Northern NSSW Local Government areas to be lobbied to apply to the NSW Government for Declared Fossicking Area Status. From what I've read it is up to Councils to ask the State for this declaration.

No doubt some interesting discussions would have to be conducted with what are some of the most radically environmentalist councils in the land. But if they are serious about attracting tourist dollars why shouldn't they encourage fossicking in their regions?

Troutman not sure if you're a member of NAPFA or not but I'd contact them as I know they are looking for new areas to add & that would be a good area to get declared.
It is up to local council to ask which involves a process of public information, council vote/approval then lodging with the Resources Minister to be gazetted as a Fossicking District.
Getting some locals to write in to Council, & also any local tourist bodies or outdoors type shops is a big help, emphasising the benefits of fossicking both for local people (outdoors, health etc.) & the benefits of geo-tourism.

Latest posts