Clear stone Identification?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithy42

Smithy
Reaction score
So I was just walking around the yard, as there is a few bit of river stone sitting on the surface I always like seeing what I might just discover on the ground.. After awhile I picked up a few different things but the one that interested me the most is the smooth very small one on the far left, not sure if it is just a small bit of glass that has just got smooth.

If anyone knows any test or signs I'm happy to give it a go.

20151106_121813_zpso5r2ygzh.jpg

Cheers
Cody

Actually looks like a topaz to me mate :) I'm not doubting it to tell you the truth. Ill say nice find straight away, can you post a shot closer of it? Ah sigh... took me 3 years to find my first one just the other day :lol:

The best part about it is that I was just finished my walk, went to sit down for a bit just out on the patio and having a look at the ground I just happened too see it..

20151106_121752_zpszjfbtdv4.jpg

Probably about 4mm in size so taking a decent close up is impossible for my phone to focus so I'll probably need to invest in a magnifying glass which would help my investigation too!!

Cheers
Cody

Second to the right looks like quartz with a nice point. Topaz will be harder than quartz so if you try to scratch it with the quartz point then quartz will be left on the topaz. If the quartz scratches the topaz then the topaz looking piece is likely glass. Check out mohs hardness scale and the hardness of common objects like knives to identify it further.
Jon

It does look like Topaz, Topaz should feel cooler to the touch than other material, do a specific gravity test and that will most likely tell you if you have Topaz, it's quite heavy with a SG of 3.55.

Heatho said:
It does look like Topaz, Topaz should feel cooler to the touch than other material, do a specific gravity test and that will most likely tell you if you have Topaz, it's quite heavy with a SG of 3.55.
Cold test hasnt worked too well for me. I think my nerve endings are damaged from burn or excessive smoking. To me its been just as warm as quartz, even the ones i got from wal. SG test has worked best

Yeah can be hard to judge temps with a small piece, get a big lump of it though and you can feel it, Barney has a very large bit and another mate has one about 1/8 the size of a house brick, lol, you can certainly feel the difference with those ones.

SG is always one of the best tests in my opinion, but other tests need to be included too sometimes.

Latest posts