Clarifying Thing Up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's what I'm talkin about,.....can out run the Tai Pans then. And could tow Yobs trolley.

Travel light....
2000 gal container must be filled by hand..transfering water by mechanical means is prohibited in Qld.
I like doing one trip from car...if i had to do seven trips i would not be able to prospect?
I have not found many places a 2wd vehicle can pull up close to.
Even most 4x4 will have trouble accessing most spots basically mountain goat material. :D

Struth,
I can remove that comment if you wish :)
I have some friends who do that in the Gem fields in FNQ.
Gee they must have slammed down tight on us poor prospectors eh. ?

Ha Tath it's ok, gee they must do ok then, Yobs explains it all.

Yeah Yobs, so true, what I meant was some places in Vic and NSW you can drive in, camp and then prospect, would be glorious if we could do that here. Mate must go out for a dig soon.

Maybe next Fri if you're up to is matey.?

Yeah Tath it's all about the fun aye. Love getting out by the creek, digging some dirt and the hope of finding some gold. Love working the Banjo and the sluice, listening to sound of the creek flowing by, having a good chat with some awesome blokes. So good.

Fun is what its all about.... obviously more fun when you find gold..lol...
Cant put a price on happiness.....or can ya???

The pump on the rocker box is pnumatic, is mechanical so how can it be allowed when no ther pump is allowed. It goes to show that some guy sitting behind a desk doesnt even understand the rules himself and is just telling people his interpretation of the rules. How can he state that when others in other areas of Qld are being told different. I also run a highbanker at Deep Creek as well as many others and will keep running my highbanker when ever I work as I interpret the regulations different and would gladly argue it in a court of law.

Sounds to me that old Roscco doesnt even understand the term mechanical himself, he says you can use a hand crank pump or a bicycle setup both mechanical, whether its petrol powered battery powered or human powered its all mechanical so what is the law are you alowed to use mechanical devices or not whats powering it doesnt make a difference by defination if it has moving parts its mechanical. As stated before been working deep creek for over 3yrs now fairly often as well as other locals with battery and petrol pump highbankers, have had our own local Dept of Mines and energy as well as local councilors down chatting with us in the past while working and no problems at all. I think people need to take roscco off speed dial and running to him everytime they dont agree with something and get out there and have some fun digging the shiny yellow and mellow out a bit, start fighting with us not against us.

I really can not see the reason as to why you can not use a pump with a High banker.
I have had a really good look through the regulations and they explicitly state As such,
Permitted tools and extent of diggings

Hand tools such as picks, shovels, hammers, sieves, shakers, electronic detectors and other similar tools can be used. No machinery is permitted.

You can collect from the surface or by digging, but you are not permitted to dig below 2m of the natural ground surface of land or below 0.5m in streams. Overhangs and tunnels are not allowed.

On road reserves, no digging is permitted but collection from existing exposures is allowed.
This is stating that you may not use a machine to dig your ore. Also to me use of machinery
to process your ore is not allowed. In other words a motor driven implement like a Trommel.
A Banker is not a machine.
It is a static, Classifying device that relies on water flow and gravity.
There are no mechanically driven components.
The water pump is not giving any mechanical advantage. All it is doing is transferring water to the sluice for it
to statically process your hand collected ore.
Mind you, If it is a huge diesel driven plant, Even I would get up set about that as you are now entering into small scale mining as an example.
I honestly think that a lot of the rangers are trying to cover their butt and say no to banking to scare people off and no one is willing to test it in court.

Yeh thats it it isnt breaking any laws its just breaking Rosccos interpretation of the rules. The Facebook post Cecc referred to at the start of this thread was put up buy a group of local guys who I know very well they have been working deep creek with highbankers for an easy 5 yrs. One of the guys walks his dog down there regularly late in the arvos just to pick up other peoples rubbish and knock down any dangerous overhangs. He takes care of the area better than most. I have had many a chat with him and the other guys that work with him. I have seen 3 different letters he has from 3 different people in Dept of mines and energy. Roscco is the only one that states no use of a pump, the other 2 state that as long as the pump is not being used to excavate and move the material as in pumped through a trash pump or via venturi method like the setup on a dredge, also no power sluicing or blasting the bank with the pump. Other than that it states as a higbanker is what catches the gold not the pump and it has no movable parts it is allowed as it is not mechanical. The only thing one of the letters did say about the pump is it is allowed in a waterway as long as the water wasnt being pumped to be removed from the area without a permit.

And as for the water regulations,
You are not taking water.
The Queensland water regulations are for taking water for domestic or stock purposes.
I would pump from down stream like I do
as you are recirculating and returning it to it's source.
Just make sure you are not muddying it up.

Thanks Jaskar, I was typing that when you replied. :) :)
Pretty well as I see it, The rules are the same as NSW except you have to have a permit.
except we are limited to an amount of material. Queensland you can dig to 2 meters deep
on land and 1/2 a meter in a river or creek bed.
Might be a good idea to do what NAPFA did.
Invite a regulatory body out for a day and give them a demo.
Using the right way of doing things.

One of the biggest problems with various state regulations is the word MECHANICAL !

They use the word with nebulas definition ~ their interpretation :rolleyes:

The other 2 blokes that the letters gympie miners had? Didnt memorise the letters would have to try and catch up the the gympie miners guys to find that out. But the post that he was talking about in facebook on their pages had at least a half dozen people who had been told different things in regards to pumps. As I have said and others have said it seems everyone including this roscco all interpret the rules and defininition of mechanical differently. Until the government better defines the rules and regulations it is going to keep happening. In all my years of fossicking with a highbanker I have never had a problem and know a large amount of fossickers all over qld that have never had a problem using highbankers, the only problems I have ever seen is people whinging in forums. No one in qld has ever been charged or fined under the mining act for using one. So why not leave it alone instead of running back and forwards to someone in the dept who doesnt even understand it properly himself.
AtomRat said:
What is the name of the other two blokes jaskar so cecc can chat with them also?

Latest posts