Ok, Straight From The Horses Mouth-From Person I Got My License From

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I replied to the person from the QLD Govt who emailed my license to, and asked them to please clarify what exactly can I use say at 'Gympie', i.e definition of mechanical tools etc.

Here is their response. This was from Rossco.

Len

Simple answer to your question, only hand tools as listed below from the Fossicking Act 1994.

hand tool means

(a) a pick, shovel, hammer, sieve, shaker, or electronic

detector; or

(b) a tool declared by regulation to be a hand tool.

This would mean that equipment or mechanical devices powered/operated by electrical, solar, battery, internal combustion, pneumatic, winched etc are a prohibited machine.

This also includes pumps for high bankers and sluice boxes.

The only exception to this is in the hand tool definition, a metal detector(electronic detector) is permitted.

:lol: Sluices which use the natural flow or are feed with water by hand means (no mechanical pump etc) are acceptable.

:lol: Hand held crevice sucker is acceptable so long as there is no mechanical device powering it, eg electrical, solar, battery, internal combustion, pneumatic etc

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FossickingA94.pdf Fossicking Act 1994

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FossickingR09.pdf Fossicking Regulations 2009

38 Use of machinery etc. prohibited

A person fossicking under a licence must not use machinery

or equipment (other than a hand tool) to fossick.

Maximum penalty400 penalty units.

39 Limits on digging

(1) A person fossicking under a licence must not dig below

ground level

(a) to a depth, measured from the highest point at the top of

the land dug, of more than

(i) 0.5m in a watercourse; or

(ii) 2m on other land; or

(iii) a depth fixed under subsection (2); or

(b) if the digging involves tunnelling under land or creating

an overhang; or

(c) in a road reserve.

Maximum penalty20 penalty units.

16 Structures, dams and machinery

A person must not erect an enclosed structure, dam or

pipeline, or install fixed machinery, on designated fossicking

land or a fossicking area.

Maximum penalty50 penalty units.

19 Other prohibited conduct

A person on designated fossicking land or a fossicking area

must not

(a) use a weapon, trap or explosive on the land, unless the

person has a reasonable excuse; or

(b) operate a generator, engine-driven equipment, radio or

other electrical appliance in a way that may

unreasonably annoy someone else on the land; or

(c) damage or destroy a wall, fence, building, barrier, sign,

receptacle or other structure; or

(d) light a fire

(i) in a place other than a cleared space with a radius

of at least 2m or a properly built fireplace; or

(ii) if, under a sign erected on the land by the chief

executive, a person must not light a fire on the

land; or

(e) allow water, other than water the person brought onto

the land, to run to waste; or

(f) if, under a sign erected on the land by the chief

executive, a person must not bring a cat or dog onto the

landbring a cat or dog onto the land.

Maximum penalty20 penalty units.

I think this clarifies things for us in QLD

Regards

Len

Thats great info Len, clears a few things up. I do remember reading these things in the regs doc but re-reading helps remember what you can and cant do.
Thanks for posting the things that us Qlder's are actually curious about and need to know.
Love your efforts :)

M3

Hi M3 yeah I had seen a lot of discussion here and little bits of confusion, so not only did i want clarification, I thought it would very advantageous for others, and thanks mate i do like to help where I can and share needed information. I'm just glad now when we meet up if someone wants to bring a sluice, they can, Halleluiah.

When I can afford it, i'm think of getting a Mackirk sluice, they look pretty good, been researching them quite a bit and looking at reviews.

Len

Wrote to him again and asked....

Hi Rossco, can you tell me where I can fossick at Deep Creek near Mt Coot-tha?

And Burpengary Creek, Enoggera Creek.

Regards

Len

This is the reply...

Len

We have no information here on these sites.

There are no public fossicking areas around these sites, so you will need consent from land holders for entry.

Some of the areas may also be within state forest.

Probably the best would be to search internet as I have done, so links attached below.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t6720-mount-cootha-abandoned-gold-mines

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t5694-gold-in-and-around-brookfield-mt-cootha-mt-crosbey

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/sites/default/files/20150112-mt-coot-tha-track-map.pdf

http://www.treasureenterprises.com/gold prospecting information/Gold_Occurrences_in_Sth_Qld.htm

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t1356-around-brisbane-and-gympie

http://www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=296379&cmd=sp&lstt=1

Regards

Rossco

Nice work len, i saw a sluice in bundy so i will grab it now.. think it was around $200.

Honestly len how do you feel about that.....Rossco get off your fat ass and try to help....you guys are meant to have the resorces and information to make sure we do the right thing....so when we ask help us...or work every sunday for the next 12months i got nothing better to do?

That's good Kezz, might check it out when we meet up? Would like to get a sluice one day when I can afford it.

yeah Yobs, I feel let down from the QLD Govt, and palmed off, it's quite bizzare the bureaucrats who take our money for our Licenses, then can't tell us where we can prospect, or any other information from any Prospecting or mining ACT.

It's not over yet, I will keep going until I find an avenue and a contact who has the authority to supply the correct and up to date information, and am looking at starting a petition about how were treated here in QLD in regard to access to area's or lack of I should say.

My old Union days will come into play when it comes to addressing a grievance, this is not the first time I have had dealings with Govt's and or the people who work for those departments.

I believe if we can get enough support and even heard the other day, that a lot of this opposition to fossicking comes from the "Greenies" and that they lobby local council, so the fight has just started.

We need to get facts and figures compiled and find some people in relevant positions that we can get on side, and I think maybe go the 'voter' strategy path, i.e. how many prospectors or fossickers live in QLD who feel victimized as well, and to me it is victimization when you look at the disparity compared to other states.

So we have to start somewhere, my next step will be to contact Rossco and ask for a more specific interpretation of fossicking laws and relevant ACT's pertaining to QLD>

However I feel that poor old Rossco is just a 'Lackie' in my experience it is much more feasible to go straight to the Top, so I am going to find out who the Minister for mines is up here In Qld.

Then get this petition going and get the word out there, I will use Social Media to get it out there, these Miners and Fossickers are voters, and that's what we have to get through to Govt who find it appropriate to just palm us off and treat us with contempt.

There's an old saying, "The Squeakiest Wheel Gets The Most Oil", as is with minority lobby groups some might be small, but if they make enough noise, some one is going to have to listen.

And I believe that if the 'Ire' of down to earth Aussies who love to get out and have a fossick is prodded enough to the extent where they say, "Enough is Enough", then the voice of fossickers of QLD will generate a momentum and then.....the powers to be will sit up and take notice.

So for now, one step at a time, and when Xmas is over, then we can start afresh, and get the ball rolling. I mean there are ways to get the attention needed to let the powers to be know that we mean business, i.e. the Media, get them onside, Current Affairs.....get them to air the discrimination that's going up here in QLD.

Ohhh I better watch out, might get arrested for being a public Nuisance and causing an...affray.

I think now a written letter to the Premier is on the cards, and to the opposition, it's always good to pit one against the other, get the opposition onside and hopefully get them onside and make it an election issue.....see where I'm going with this.

More than one way to skin a cat....

Anyway I've rambled a bit too long, but it's an issue that I'm passionate about.

Your Fossicking Mate

Len, Chiko.....

All good len...if i get a sluice maybe i can leave it at yobs house for anyone from here thats wants to use it..my next question is for for water flow..i can't use a highbanker BUT i can pump water from a creek..fire fighting, filling a tank for home etc. SO i could use my wx15 to help pump water through the sluice when there is not much flow but don't actually attach it to the sluice..so just water from the the creek but peg it out so the flow goes through the sluice and not attached means i'm just cleaning my pump out and testing it but the flow from the test is 2foot upsteam from the sluice...

Kezz

I will let you find out more info but i no i can pump from a creek and if it not connected to a sluice in anyway no probs :)

even my walbanker...could peg the pressure side up but dont connect it..still work then its just a highbanker being used but not connected to the spraybar...we are just getting a water source from someone testing there pump... the pump has nothing to do with fossicking but the waterflow was there.. see where i'm coming from?
always loop holes..sorry for rambling but this qld law crap annoys me..
Kezz

Sorry Kezz all water for fossicking must be retreaved buy hand...
I have been down that path...use my pump to fill a big barrel.
Bucket it or peddle power.....hahaha

KEZZ said:
All good len...if i get a sluice maybe i can leave it at yobs house for anyone from here thats wants to use it..my next question is for for water flow..i can't use a highbanker BUT i can pump water from a creek..fire fighting, filling a tank for home etc. SO i could use my wx15 to help pump water through the sluice when there is not much flow but don't actually attach it to the sluice..so just water from the the creek but peg it out so the flow goes through the sluice and not attached means i'm just cleaning my pump out and testing it but the flow from the test is 2foot upsteam from the sluice...

Kezz
I have enough equipment in my garage mate....another sluice and i will probably get kicked out....hahahaha

Yeah that's the way it is in QLD Kezz, thanks Yobs for clearing that up. Kezz maybe Cody could mind the sluice for you.

That's nice of you to offer the sluice to people who like to use it, I wouldn't mind trying it out one day.

Cheers

Len

Latest posts