Cheers from Charleston, SC USA by a Paleontologist

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings, all!

My name is Ashby, and I'm a paleontologist from the USA, travelling to AU and Tassie in October for the National Society of Vertebrate Paleontology's annual conference.

My background is primarily in fossil vertebrates from the Cenezoic, although I have recently branched out into the Cretaceous fauna as well. My two main areas of expertise are the Ice Age megafauna (mammoths, mastodons, armadillos, sloths, et al.) and shark faunas; yes, that includes the Megalodon shark. :lol: Stateside, I work as a tour guide and owner of my own business (Charleston Fossil Adventures, LLC), taking families to fossil sites here in South Carolina. There, participants get to find and keep all of their fossils. I've run it for four years now, and love sharing the sites I have access to, with those that vacation here and don't normally have such an opportunity.

I'm visiting Cairns, Brisbane, Hobart, and Sydney over the course of 20 days, and looking to do some fossicking once or twice during my stay. Based on my research, it appears that the Lune River site is fairly accessible from Hobart. I'm travelling with an equally enthusiastic friend that doesn't mind getting down and dirty to find some material. Does anyone have any tips and or appropriate guidance (dos and don'ts) about fossicking in Australia?

Also, I'm open to bringing some neat bits from the USA for trade if anyone would like to meet up. I collect gems here as well, and have sapphires, beryl, and apatite from North Carolina, and "druzy" quartz crystals from South Carolina. Fossils run the gamut from large shark teeth, to mammoth and mastodon tooth enamel/ivory, vertebrae, and myriad other items I could go on listing all day long.

At the end of the day, I'm excited to come to Australia and check out the scenery and natural splendor. If I can collect some fossils/gems and meet some good folks along the way, then that's an added bonus!

Thanks for having me on the forum, and I look forward to chatting as my trip approaches!

Cheers,

Ashby
"fossilingfossicker"

G'day Ashbyu and welcome to the forum. I suspect people may have been slow to say hello as we don't get too many paleontologists visiting this site as some of us are close to being fossils ourselves and we don't want to be found out!

Tasmania has some beautiful country and is still quite rugged so take a GPS and map if going off track. You may need a prospecting licence which is available here: http://www.mrt.tas.gov.au/portal/prospecting-licence.

Leeches are abundant in Tassie, and whilst they are relevantly harmless, they are messy blood suckers. Do not remove them forcefully as their beaks will remain and cause infection. They will fall off by applying a small flame, salt, methylated spirits (alcohol) or even insect repellant.

Have a great stay.

Welcome to PA Ashby,

You might want to Google 'Fossils in Victoria' and see if any of these sites interest you.
There are some interesting fossil sites in Victoria.

And Melbourne's the best state capital city in the country, so you should see it while you're here! (Let the arguments begin :playful: )

Cheers,
Megsy

Yes if you are after fossils only then go to Melbourne - Some are still alive :lol:
If you are also interested in Good Times and some culture - Welcome to Sydney :bomb: :brokenh:

Thanks all for the replies!

Re anolphart: I figured posting at 3 AM your time probably had a role in the slow replies, as well! :lol:

I've "resigned" to collecting gemstones on this trip, and any petrified wood or ferns from Lune River.

I won't make it to Melbourne this time around. Cairns, Brisbane, Hobart, and Sydney are the four cities we'll be based out of for travel during our stay. We're open to travelling 2-3 hours from any of those cities, and it looks like Sydney may have some potential via Grabben Gullen, Oberon, and Black Springs... And yes, we're already securing our permits!

You'll be stuck in a traffic jam in Sydney for 2 hours trying to get out of the city - better make it 4-5 hours travel time there! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

StoneTheCrows said:
In NSW
you only need a permit for State Forests
you are not allowed to fossick in National Parks.

10-4, thanks for the heads up! We were looking at the state forests, anyway. :perfect: :gemstone:

Megsy - Thanks for the heads up on the traffic! Fortunately our host's house is outside of the city, so maybe we'll save a little on time there! :lol:

Latest posts