Castlemaine History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushpig

Jed
Reaction score
Im trying to find the name of a mine that was owned by my great grandfather in Castlemaine.

All I have to go off is his name and a rough date range.

If I can find the name of it I shouldn't have any trouble with locating. Just thought it would be pretty cool to go out and find it.

Cheers

BP it's a big area ....................... also probably find it's now on private land perhaps ? When I was there a week ago and speaking with locals/land owners, is becoming more locked up as some take liberties they shouldn't :rolleyes: What area of the maine ? Chewton Wattle Gully side ?

Hey thanks fellas yes I know the areas fairly well. I will try to find out more info tonight when I speak to the old man.

BP when you speak to your dad, if he identifies on a map this will help significantly.
As Bogger suggested it is a really big area with some areas refering to Castlemaine but are actually other diggings.
We have had much of the area locked out from prospecting due to land ownership and aboriginal heritage sites.

Cheers

Bogger said:
BP did your dad grow up there ? Might know him ? :Y: Or maybe your grandfather ;) :eek:

Hi. No Dad didnt grow up there. He grew up in melb.

Ok so the great grandfathers name was Augustus Dominico Colloretti. I have no other info other than this unfortunately so it may be unlikely that I find the exact mine. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BP

First thing is just check that your spelling is definitely correct - not Augusto Domenico Coloretti, born 1901 in Italy - if so his mine would be as late as the 1920s or later and perhaps easier to find? The jump in gold price in the late 1930s caused renewed mining interest, although there were a lot of small claims a bit prior to that in the depression. I am familiar with the area and know of nothing of significant size from the 20th century by that name - was it alluvial or hard-rock? If alluvial you will have trouble finding anything.

Don't know if this is relevant:

1518135023_coloretti.jpg

Thanks Goldie I will check the spelling. The old man works offshore so his phone reception was quite poor today. Unsure if it was hard rock or alluvial. Hopefully it was who you suggested and is easier to find. Will be in touch. Thank you.

Goldie

You were correct with your spelling of Augusto Domenico Coloretti.

He grew up in a place called Flowerdale, was only 1 of a few Italians that were rats of tobruk and came to Aus late 1800's possibly early 1900's.

No more info on a mine though.

His family tree is on the net if you Google (all the local Coleretti's) - but it probably won't help (although sometimes distant family members know other things.

Latest posts