Calling all shift workers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flowerpot said:
I've just found this thread.
Forgot I'd even started it last night. Too many reds maybe? :8
All the comments are really interesting and encouraging.
There really is no 'normal' reaction to shift work, people deal with it differently depending on age,
fitness, overall health, general attitude, necessity and myriad other reasons.
All good to read about.

Madtuna!! stop rubbing it in grrrrrr. :)
There ya go.... ur dealing with it just fine! ;)

DiD 10 years of shift work, found that 12 hour shifts were better, every 2nd weekend off on the change from day to night, hardest part was having a shift end drink at 6am Monday morning.

Shift work is detrimental to health BUT we do it for the $$$, Worst part of 8hr shifts were doing a doubler after night shift.

For me to minimise the impact.

34 years. Rail irregular shifts.

Dark room.
Sleep with ear plugs
Understanding partner.
Go back to bed when tired, anytime of the day.
Push through those night shifts, its not so bad when you get to work.
Put social life on hold when on nightworks. A lot of young ones fail here and complain how hard the job is.

You never get used to it. I ve not found any magic formula that makes me wide awake all night. Getting plenty of sleep before a midnight start does not mean an easy night shift. Some of the easiest shifts I ve done on no sleep.

I dont try and sleep just before nightwork now, just seem to toss and turn getting stressed that I have to get up soon. Just stay awake and push through!

$$$ = Shiftwork.

Good luck

Retirement Stone said:
For me to minimise the impact.

34 years. Rail irregular shifts.

Dark room.
Sleep with ear plugs
Understanding partner.
Go back to bed when tired, anytime of the day.
Push through those night shifts, its not so bad when you get to work.
Put social life on hold when on nightworks. A lot of young ones fail here and complain how hard the job is.

You never get used to it. I ve not found any magic formula that makes me wide awake all night. Getting plenty of sleep before a midnight start does not mean an easy night shift. Some of the easiest shifts I ve done on no sleep.

I dont try and sleep just before nightwork now, just seem to toss and turn getting stressed that I have to get up soon. Just stay awake and push through!

$$$ = Shiftwork.

Good luck
RS, you just took me back 5 years. Exactly my strategies for most of my shift life.. :Y:

Rockhunter62 said:
Well I work 7 days on 7 days off 7 nights on 7 days off rotating roster. shifts are 12.5 hrs long. Get on the bus from camp at 4:45 for a 5:30 start am/pm depending on day or night shift. Been doing shift work like this for the last 10 years and the only complaint is Carol doesn't see me as much as she would like. We are planning to give this lifestyle a miss come the new financial year and starting a 365 day off rotation to enjoy life for a while. :) :Y: :) :Y: :) :Y:

Cheers

Doug

Stupid pit sent the remote d11 back,was a loaner now we have a normal one all ready for you when you arrive,ill make sure its fuelled up. :D :D :D

It was shift work that got me into metal detecting, I didn't know anyone when I arrived in Cairns and working a rotating shift didn't help so I bought a goldseekers 15000 and headed off to Etheridge most weekends.
I found that a single solitary life was the only way I could cope with short change over shifts and after being on a ship for 4 years living in an area smaller than my 3 bedroom house with 81 other people I was loving it.
I bought the book Angor to Zillmanton and spent my night watches reading it and poring over mining maps planning my next weekend(I was QM on the gate at HMAS Cairns so I had plenty of time to kill).
Sometimes I think that I had more fun planning than the doing. But whatever it gave me idea of where the goal posts were each week and helped stop me from drinking myself stupid .

I work 8hr shifts on a 7 day rotating roster. (8.5hr shifts as we have an unpaid meal break) Roster is 8 rest days and 1 RLD every 4 weeks. Usually work 2 or 3 day shifts then 3 or 4 arvo shifts than a couple of days off. If required, they can roster us for double backs, with 10hr break between shifts. That really messes with you. I have had a roster went similar to - Day, Day, Arvo, Arvo, Day, Arvo, Rest, Arvo, Arvo, Rest, Day, Arvo.

19 years of it.
Currently working 12 hour shifts.
Two days, two nights, then 4 off.

I've endlessly try to argue that we should be working blocks of four so we arnt constantly in transition.

magneticsand said:
19 years of it.
Currently working 12 hour shifts.
Two days, two nights, then 4 off.

I've endlessly try to argue that we should be working blocks of four so we arnt constantly in transition.

I work the same shift magneticsand, 7 'til 7.
Some folks were trying to get the shift changed so we did the two nights first, sleep half a day then go to bed like 'normal' and then get up for the two day shifts??Yukko!! Then four off, well three and a half really because I'd need to sleep in on the last day and then leave for work at 6.
Don't reckon I could ever do that one.

Diggit any time you get to go home early is a great day for sure :Y: :Y:

OzzieAu said:
Ive been retired now for nearly 5 years... retired at 65. Did rotating day/night shifts for 35 yrs. Starting and finishing times of the 8 hr. shifts were all over the place from week to week. Couldnt get into a consistent mealtime/sleep time pattern and this played havoc with my overall health, physical and emotional.
Since retiring I am a new person, (not because Im not working for the Co.), but because I feel alive from having a normal, predictable daily routine. You just dont know how valuable that is till its not there.
No wonder they say that shift work can take years off your life.
My only advice is, if you have to work shifts, make sure you screw the Company for every cent youre worth and save for an early retirement so you can get a real life back to enjoy as Im doing now.
Also, if youre not in a good Union, you should be ! :Y:

I had no idea you were 70 Oz, you sure as hell don't look it!! What's your secret... apart from quitting shift work :D :D

10 years of shift work. 13 shifts a fortnight. Rotating weeks of day, afternoon, night. No regular meal breaks. Some shift up to 13 hours. Trying to sleep days in the summer in the Wimmera without an air con. :( :( :( .
That was a life time ago & when I left that behind I vowed to myself, wife & kids I'd never work shift work again. A decision I don't regret. :Y:
I feel for anyone working shifts whether through choice or necessity.
Rob.

Flowerpot said:
OzzieAu said:
Ive been retired now for nearly 5 years... retired at 65. Did rotating day/night shifts for 35 yrs. Starting and finishing times of the 8 hr. shifts were all over the place from week to week. Couldnt get into a consistent mealtime/sleep time pattern and this played havoc with my overall health, physical and emotional.
Since retiring I am a new person, (not because Im not working for the Co.), but because I feel alive from having a normal, predictable daily routine. You just dont know how valuable that is till its not there.
No wonder they say that shift work can take years off your life.
My only advice is, if you have to work shifts, make sure you screw the Company for every cent youre worth and save for an early retirement so you can get a real life back to enjoy as Im doing now.
Also, if youre not in a good Union, you should be ! :Y:

I had no idea you were 70 Oz, you sure as hell don't look it!! What's your secret... apart from quitting shift work :D :D
I think I must have regenerated when I retired. :D

Flowerpot said:
pete165 said:
Flowerpot are you a nurse by any chance?

No Pete, I'm not.
I work in a chocolate factory.

Have you ever caught a glimpae of one of these?

1524493671_oompaloompa.jpg

Latest posts