Cairns newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys a newbie to the group and prospecting, is there a cairns group that meet up?? As im keen to soak up as much knoweledge and info as i can. Cheers

Welcome Goldchaser, there is a Cairns group but we haven't had a meet up for awhile now. I think we are all trying to get back on top of things after Christmas. you can call in and have a chat to George at The Miners Den. He is a nice fella and is good to get some info from. Cheers Rick

Thanks Rick, yeah was gonna call in there next saturday and maybe buy a pan and afew other bits n pieces just to get me started.
Cheers Les

Yeah i read that on another thread that you guys used to meet up the first saturday of the month but wasnt sure if that was still the case.

Hi Goldchaser,
We have had a bit of a break from the meet ups during Christmas. But also we have had Grant and Kane 2 of our keenest of the group move down south. And also George from the Miners Den is scaling back and moving in to retirement this year and I don't think he will now be opening up on :cool: Saturday mornings. Which now means where do we meet?
I might see if I can have a chat with George and see if we can still meet there about 3-4 times a year. I will put something up on the members meet up when I have some more info.
Cheers Greg. :cool:

Cheers mate. Spewing that george is retiring and closing on saturdays as i was gonna go in this weekend and buy afew things and try and get some info off him. But will keep an eye out on the forum for meet ups

Gday Goldchaser, welcome to cairns.
Good to see a new member taking up prospecting, yes we were meeting on a monthly basis up until the end of last year when everything went awry as has been explained.
Ive been thinking myself that we need to schedule another catchup but as yet I havnt been able to do anything about it.
With luck though we will sort out some details for the next meeting soon and let everyone know.
Pity that George has decided Saturdays are too much but I don't think anyone would blame him for wanting to get out and prospect a bit more or have more time to put his feet up and relax.
As for info Goldchaser, most of the members on here are usually happy to answer questions. Just do a search beforehand to see if that topic has been covered or not. If your chasing cairns specific stuff there is a post somewhere labelled 'Cairns Research' which might help. If you cant find what your after just ask, the cairns locals will try and help if we can or at least point you in the right direction.

Greg, have sent you a pm about the next meeting.

Cheers, TGW.

Tried going into miners den this morning and he is shut...... spewin will have to try and get in sometime during the week :/

Hi there gold chaser. I'm a newbie also but am keen to catch up and pour over too maps and go for a walkabout looking for some spots to pan. I'm at work this week. then have a week off from next monday. cheers

thehikingpanner said:
Hi there gold chaser. I'm a newbie also but am keen to catch up and pour over too maps and go for a walkabout looking for some spots to pan. I'm at work this week. then have a week off from next monday. cheers

Yeah mate keen as i work mon-fri and will be buying some stuff from nq miners in the next couple of weeks or sooner if need be. But let me know when you wanna go always keen to learn and go on a hunt :cool:

Will do bud. I'll be at the miners den for a short while to meet the local bunch on Saturday next week but won't have time to go for a dig.
The following fortnight though i will so I'll get your contact when we meet up at the den hey.

Latest posts