New to the group

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm Dave, 53 from Pakenham, just looking at getting into the hobby of doing some prospecting around my area, if anyone else is in the area who would be willing to take on a newbie to show the ropes would be awesome
Hi Dave, welcome to PA.

The term "prospecting" covers a whole range of outdoor activities from panning, sniping and sluicing in creeks and rivers for gold or gemstones, through to metal detecting for coins and relics, to detecting for nuggets in the goldfields. Which did you have in mind?

Hi Dave, welcome to PA.

The term "prospecting" covers a whole range of outdoor activities from panning, sniping and sluicing in creeks and rivers for gold or gemstones, through to metal detecting for coins and relics, to detecting for nuggets in the goldfields. Which did you have in mind?

Some of us end up doing all those things so Dave's probably happy to do anything rather than sit at home paken ham 😂

Hi Dave, welcome to PA.

Hey grubstake,

Being a newbie, before I start buying a metal detector, I am looking at buying a panning kit, but I am after some guidance, some advice and some hands on experience

Cheers

Dave

Being a newbie, before I start buying a metal detector, I am looking at buying a panning kit, but I am after some guidance, some advice and some hands on experience
I'd advise against buying a detector until you've hired one a few times. That's the easiest and cheapest way to find out whether you've got the temperament to deal with the inevitable frustrations and even boredom of chasing elusive nuggets while dealing with heat/cold, wind, rain, dust, flies and other pests, as well as endless numbers of trash targets.

Detector prospecting isn't as straightforward as it may look on TV or YouTube, but with persistence it can be a rewarding and pleasureable activity. Some people give up on Day 1, but others find their groove and just love it out there. Here's hoping you're one of the latter group.

Latest posts