Broken ribs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few days ago I went ass up in the shed and landed heavily on the edge of my trailer.
The end result - 3 broken ribs.
The doctor reckons there is nothing they can do for it, and I just need to rest and give it time to heal.
Ive been given a week off work and then will have to be put onto light duties for around a month.
Im on a few pain killers, and I probably wont drive for a while as I went to Coles earlier and struggled to turn corners and changing gears is a challenge.
Typically my mates have little sympathy for me and are trying to crack jokes to make me laugh in agony!
Ive never broken ribs before, but I wont recommend it to anyone. Its not much fun.
If anyone else has has ever done ribs before, how long does it take to get back to normal.
Is there absolutely anything do to relieve the pain short term etc?

I've done a few before, no fun, lots of pain, can't sleep etc.
Was months before I was back to normal.{in my 40's}
No fun at all.
I feel for you.

Yes, I've broken two ribs - and no, there's nothing they can do for it - not even bandage them.
You have my complete sympathy because it's not fun at all!

I think it might depend on your age on how long it will take to recover fully - older people generally take longer to heal than younger ones.
I was 33 when I broke mine, and I reckon it took a good month to be back to full range and movement.
10 days before I felt like I could move and laugh again without that stab of agony.

All you can do is rest for the first couple of weeks, mate, try not to move too much while they knit back together, and go easy on the pain killers, (although you want to eat them like tic tacs, at the start) they can be addictive and damage your liver and kidneys if you have too many. Stick to the recommended dosage.

And I recommend staying away from your mates in the short term, if they're trying to make you laugh with broken ribs - not helpful or cool!

Just rest mate, that's the best thing to do for now. It will get better sooner if you take care of them while they knit.

Hang in there. :Y:

Regards,
Megsy

1 rib = 6 weeks but depends on how much heavy work is involved to be honest as for 3 ribs definitely 6 weeks minimum. Worse than a broken rib is one or more that are dislocated from the cartledge. Dislocated two that took 4 months to be able to handle heavy manual work in my 20`s and 6 months to not feel any discomfort. I asked the quack are you certain you've diagnosed it properly and his comment was it takes longer than a broken one.

Just make sure you fill up on beverages at Christmas so you can handle the ribbing :lol: trust me I know :Y:.

And speed humps and pot holes!
Over xmas too! Bugga! Most places dont offer light duties for stuff done at home. Kool they are looking after you.
But I would call it off to the end of the year at least m8.
Just getting to work will kill you, and set the ribs back in mend Time!

Yep they hurt thats for sure. Drunk & fell on the back rest of a chair went to bed ,woke in the featal position, couldnt get up. Took a month before I could lift anything heavier than a schooner. Best of luck to ya mate, hope you fare better than I. Cheers.

Try going to Karate lessons with a couple. Great fun but, my Sensei was very lenient on me only 20 pushups instead of 50.
Be aware though that it is very easy to catch pneumonia as I did after coming off my trail bike years before the above happened.
Not much you can do for them. Do not laugh though ! It does take about a month.
Get well soon.

At 60 plus after a fall from the roof and at least 2 if not 3 ribs done in...

3 months at least b4 I would say I was able to get out and about and use the lawn mower... Bruising and sore bits every where but the ribs were the kicker...

Lots of things I could not do, no matter how much I wanted to... A few times in the bed room, I played possum and was not going to be tempted..

I was 6-8 weeks after a rollover.
Motocross accident and a collarbone took about 12 weeks from memory..
Not fun.