Gold Fever.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I might share something that happened quite a few years ago and made me realize just how strong gold fever can be.

A friend of mine had access to the latest metal detector and all the panning gear, sieves etc for gold prospecting due to his wife working in the right section of Wollongong Uni. He was really keen to have a go but had absolutely no experience, he had read a few books but that was about it. It just so happened that my next door neighbour was an old bushy, Tom, that had worked on the Braidwood to Nowra road during the war and had come across a few areas that had been mined during the depression. He was keen for a weekend away so a trip was planned.

It should be pointed out that my friend was a great practical joker, to the point that you had to be very careful believing anything he said. After talking to old Tom we decided it might be a good chance to give a little back.

On my last night shift before our weekend away I took in some old brass bolts I had lying around and took to them with the oxy set. I dripped the molten brass into small holes and cracks in a rock until I had about 30 little nuggets. The largest was about the size of a ten cent piece.

The next afternoon we were setting up camp beside a creek out near Nerriga, it was too late to start prospecting so we just sat around the fire and made plans for the next morning. Just after dark I went for a short walk and came back with a few Witchetty Grubs, they looked like the real thing but were actually jelly lollies. I offered my mate one but he wasn't game to try it so I gave one to Tom. He knew what it was so he impaled it with a small stick and roasted it over the coals, I did the same and we ate them and told our mate he didn't know what he was missing.

Next morning we commenced our gold hunt. Old Tom and I were walking up front while our mate was working slowly behind us with his detector. After about 50mts I dropped the first nugget in his path and kicked a little surface litter over it, I continued to walk dropping a nugget every ten meters or so. We soon heard the detector scream and turned around to see what our mate had found. He scratched around for a few seconds then pulled up his first shiny "nugget". He was looking at it a bit strange and we thought he was onto us. He put it in his mouth and bit it then said it felt too hard for gold and was not very heavy. Old Tom countered it was only small hence the light weight and what else could it be? This was enough to convince my mate he had found his first gold. We continued along the creek with me dropping the nuggets and my mate finding most of them with an excited scream until Tom decided it was time to boil up the billy again. Our mate looked at him in disbelief that he could be thinking of a brew when there was so much gold to be found. We said it will still be there after we have had a cuppa and walked back to camp.

Back at camp our mate was like a crack addict waiting for a hit. Old Tom had to keep turning away to avoid losing it, he actually started laughing a couple of times but our mate thought nothing of it, he was just thinking about the gold. Tom then asked him if he was going to give his wife a call and tell her the good news. With this his demeanor completely changed. He said there is no way he would call his wife as any call would be intercepted at the local exchange and the word about the gold strike could get out putting us all in danger. He then said we needed to go back to Nowra and buy some large coils of rope so that the whole area could be gridded to avoid missing any nuggets. A few minutes later the fever got too much for him and he said we could finish our cuppa but he was going back for more. He was starting to look a bit out of it so we decided to let him in on the joke.

He cracked, he started ranting and raving accusing us of wanting all the gold for ourselves. When we explained it was only brass and that is why it was so light and hard it finally dawned on him. He said he was also surprised it was so shiny and we thought he had finally seen the funny side of it but when we said we should start prospecting seriously he demanded to be taken home. We tried to settle him down but he said if we didn't take him home he would start walking. The trip home was very quiet, the silence only broken by the occasional chuckle from Tom.

It took about a month before he would talk to us again and he never again played a practical joke on us or anyone else I know.

Diggertom said:
That's brilliant, like the old saying days only dish out what your happy to receive back lol.

Has he seen the funny side yet?

Yes, but it took a while.

wow, he got pretty damn obsessed, and paranoid. You can do things, or say things to people, that leads you to learn, too much about them.

Did he apart from not playing practical jokes on you anymore , learn anything from the experience ?
I have known blokes in the army who made complete fools of them selves... some learnt and grew out of the experience, others never got over the shatered ego and still others blamed every one else and took no responsibility.
The last two types did not last long in the army thankfully.

Hehe, yeh that would have been a giggle Magilla!

I would have fallen off my chair laughing to see the look on yours and Toms face, as he pulled another larger, heavier 3oz piece out of his pocket and said, "I also got this one too guys".

Baahaawhaa! :p

Bloke I used to work for sent me over town for a long wait.

It took him 3 days to ring and find out why I wasn't at work.

I said, "Have you waited long enough yet."
Trouble was he ripped it back twice as hard and refused to pay me.
Bad Loser in my books. :lol:

1 poor guy in particular was a bit gullible when I worked at a timber mill, and was always getting sent somewhere or other to get things like a long weight and a short stay for the moulder, or to the electricians workshop for a bucket of sparks. 1 time he was under the small moulder in the pit with a suction hose cleaning the shavings out. As he got out of the pit, his beanie, which he had hanging out of his trackies pocket, got sucked out and went up the blowers never to be seen again. A week or 2 later as luck would have it the blowers got blocked up over at the steam plant, totally unrelated and a semi regular occurance...but he didn't know that. Hehe. Letting my mate in on the joke I went of in the direction of the office and disappeared, waited a minute then walked back towards my target and my mate shaking my head and giving him the "you putz" look. What? Asks the stooge. I said Did you lose a beanie up the blowers the other day? He said sheepishly yeahhhh? I said, well it's got caught in the filters over at the steam plant, and clogged the blowers right up. Shut the whole bloody mill down! It was all crap I had literally just made up on the spot, but the look of terror on his face was priceless, so I took it a step further. Anyway the supervisor over at the steam plant is well pi55ed off about it, I just got off the phone with him, and he is not a happy camper, he wants you to call him at the steam plant and explain to him how exactly your beanie has shut down the whole mill. Ya have to go into the office (in clear view of me and my mate, standing about 10m away watching) and call the steam plant and ask for the supervisor, his name is Richard Head......off he went, into the office and calls, asks to speak to Richard Head, poor bugga on the other end must have been having a stroke not to lose it. He gets off the phone and walks back as we're laughing uncontrollably. Haha very funny guys, he says, theres nobody that works at the steam plant called Richard Head...me and my mate look at each other and crack up laughing. Is that what they said to you? I asked he said yeah, I said it's probably a new guy you spoke to, call them back and ask to speak to Dick, that's what he goes by, you know being short for Richard. Oh yeah right he says and off he goes back to the office, on the phone, swearing his head off at me and my mate who were by this time in tears of laughter on the ground. Old mate finally clicked after being told by the guy at the steam plant that he thought somebody might be playing a joke on him. Pmsl. :lol:

Latest posts