Bow hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lilnugget said:
All I know is that they allowed it in New Zealand as it cleaned up the waterways
Removing 6t 24.809 Coi Carp
I read also yes that nsw has a 18 month trial period which is only to licensed hunters
And I believe that s.a already allows bow fishing
I think it's all just state legislation
But once the parties see how much it helps clean up our waterways I do not see how they would not pass it
i couldn't disagree with that last line more Lilnugget.
A few people out 'pinging' a few visible carp in our waterways would be like p..s..ng in the ocean regards reducing our European carp infestation. If pro fishermen couldn't dent their numbers in the Murray i doubt bowfishing by a few would have even the slightest effect.
Don't confuse Koi Carp with European carp mate, they're not even in the same ballpark when it comes to breeding and infiltrating our waterways.
I don't have any problem with bowhunters targetting carp (if it's legal) but one large carp could breed more carp in a year than there are bowhunters in OZ i'd reckon.

I agree with you 100% Scrounger
I was using the Coi as a example a country allowed the use of bow fishing and alone bow fishing helped remove 6t
Well in my opinion every little bit helps
I also saw on the front of the land that they were planning to release a herpes virus that only effects carp

Its certainly the european carp, we got them all in the waterways here and big. Some prik leaves them hanging around the playground in lilydale lake
I'd be happy for them to be cleared or hunted..they are probably reducing galaxis population.

Lilnugget said:
I agree with you 100% Scrounger
I was using the Coi as a example a country allowed the use of bow fishing and alone bow fishing helped remove 6t
Well in my opinion every little bit helps
I also saw on the front of the land that they were planning to release a herpes virus that only effects carp
Well imo NZ are so far in front of Australia with hunting, fishing,'wilderness' land management practises it's not funny. We wouldn't know if our arse was on fire in this country when it comes to using our resources responsibly. They actually get it over there regards a responsible hunting/fishing/outdoor culture unlike here where we seem to allow 'nobs' to have guns and yet restrict responsible and ethical hunting by people who see it as a privilege.
This is a political statement i suppose, but the weak kneed pollies of all persuasions, and especially the city greens have controlled the debate and those of us that want to fish and hunt and use our 'wilderness' areas have meekly complied to the point it's now too late to go back imo.
That herpes virus you mention has the potential (with stringent safeguards) of doing to European carp what was done to the rabbit population in OZ. There are so many 'native fishers' out there now that if and when the carp get knocked by the virus, the native fish populations and inland fisheries have the potential to be outstanding.

AtomRat said:
Its certainly the european carp, we got them all in the waterways here and big. Some prik leaves them hanging around the playground in lilydale lake
I'd be happy for them to be cleared or hunted..they are probably reducing galaxis population.
And that's the problem Atom, the people who are catching/killing carp are probably doing more harm than good in reducing their numbers. Responsible and 'dedicated/serious' anglers know that if they catch European carp they must kill and bury (or take away and dispose of) the catch so as not to pollute the area, or worse still, leave fish lying around where birds can feed on them and potentially spread the species to other waters (mind you there aren't many waterways in Victoria where they don't exist now that i know of).
European carp do more harm by the way they feed, they tend to root around in the bottom mud and stir up the water and create turbidity that lets less light into the water and restricts plant and insect growth. They will also feed on native fish eggs and breed in such numbers that native fish in low numbers can't compete against. They will eat native galaxies but they aren't known for being an aggressive predatory fish, they are more of a browsing fish and do more harm to small prey by habitat destruction.
Trout and apex natives have more effect on small prey fish than carp.

I'm learning lots here.. I'm not an angler except for trying the odd stick trap here or there. I've seen many incorrectly disposed carp then by the sounds of it.

..so being in the mud lots.. there's a chance they contain gold?

Latest posts