Bow hunting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to mate a long time ago. I used a recurve bow and hunted foxes mostly. Archery is a great sport in general i reckon. Don't hunt at all these days though, except with a camera. What do you hunt?

Used to but I haven't been in a long time, still have a bow that I have maybe shot a handful of times since I bought it, would love to find the time to get out again

I have only hunted twice so far mostly rabbits and foxes well a fox want to go for some bigger game I've got a compound bow 70lb occasionly shoot target

Lots of Sambar deer around down Gippsland mountain areas, but you need to bring your A game to get close enough and bring one of them down cleanly mate. Pigs are a good game to chase and need controlling as well.

Yep that's were I shoot target Ian got me set up with my bow he's awesome there
pigs sound great even fellow I just got a block freezer I would love to fill

Yep , been shooting since the early 80's , at the moment have 4 recurves , ( 2 takedowns , 2 one piece ) at 20# , 58# , 60# , 65#

one compound at 70#

Lilnugget said:
Yep that's were I shoot target Ian got me set up with my bow he's awesome there
pigs sound great even fellow I just got a block freezer I would love to fill
Cool as mate. Free advertising for him lol..good on us :p

Not many attempt with a bow round here, but I saw a bloke in castlemain walking in the middle of the road in camo and compount bow..seened rather ...insane 8)

I know a few shooters but I don't think that's what your after. The cost of arrows probably isn't worth shootin out bush.. get ian to make you a duck shoot with ropes n pullies cranked by a monkey on a bicycle..

Used to Bowhunt and do a lot of ABA target shooting.
Was bloody good at it too.
Then the IBS symptoms kicked in on top of the spina bifida.

Not good when you're at the 10th target in the bush with a group of 5 and you get a sudden explosive backside evacuation and because of the spina bifida you don't feel it coming till it's too late ,humiliating :8

Still have my Alphamax compound, can't bear the thought of selling it.
One day I hope to shoot again.

I thought stalking deer with rifle would be a challenge.. lots to get at our way. Did you see that buck running along the highway all last week close to your town?? :eek: I had to slam on the breaks because it nearly jumped my car!

Brother had a good compound a few yrs back when we used to hunt deer, dogs & foxes up around the Corryong Vic area, we used it a bit on the target out the farm but never hunted with it, just used the 30.06 & .300 win mag on the deer instead, they were to skittish up there for bow hunting unless you were really good.

Matturbo said:
I'm looking into getting a bow and R licence to hunt the state forest my farm has 2 fences along, that section is bow only and lots of fallow, pigs, fox, bunnies and goats, I never see them with rifle in hand on my farm, only chainsaw lol
It's amazing how often you see a huge hog or massive sambar when you don't have your gun or bow with you. They seem to know you're not armed and will happily show themselves along the road verges etc. Even carrying a camera (as i now do) seems to make them more wary, i think they know you're interested and looking at them, and they don't like it. It used to be the same with crows when they used to be shot at lambing time, i reckon they knew when you were or weren't carrying a rifle before a shot was even made. :lol:

AtomRat said:
I thought stalking deer with rifle would be a challenge.. lots to get at our way. Did you see that buck running along the highway all last week close to your town?? :eek: I had to slam on the breaks because it nearly jumped my car!
Nah mate I didn't when I use to have my hilux I wished 1 did even if it was to bruised to eat it would have made excellent dog food
So what's everyone shooting or have shot (pics)

I use to hunt them amongst the Lignum on the NSW side of the Murray River at Boundary Bend Ivo. But haven't been there for decades now. probably all houses along the river there now :lol: It was pretty exciting stuff spooking a porker out from their shade cover under the scrub and trying to get a shot off quickly.

Latest posts