Bitten by the opal bug.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1405671170_image.jpg

Hudsons pear! This stuff is very bad indeed, I only took two steps and I had some on my shoe as I got out of the car.
Last year a miner warned me as we walked the field, my thong just touched it and a piece hit me in the back of the leg.
Later as I went over for a closer look at it I poked it with a stick and bugger me it got me again! Sh-t no kidding you can't go near it without injury. It kills a lot of animals as it's barbed and won't come out of the skin.
It's only around the Ridge here as it escaped from a garden, you can get free spray packs to Poisson it. But I feel a all out war should be done as it's going to cross the country sooner or later.

Heatho said:
What left you un-impressed about BB Dezman? No big deal, just interested. I've only ever had great experiences there. Rotten weather for it though.
I guess I was not in the right frame of mind to look for sapphires maybe or as I got there Bill told me a tail of deceit and wrong doing by his partners. Keith I'm told has sold out to Bill and its a family business again! But if people have to go to court to sort things out then everyone is guilty in someway!
I was disappointed I couldn't run any gear when they are doing very big truck loads for a handful of stones.
I guess I like using my jackhammer and loading buckets up for the high banker.
There is plenty of water in the ground as they are flat out pumping it to dig some wash nearby.

Gee I just want my own Sapphire mine :mad:

Did not know any of that had happened, anyway I'm not into the politics of the place, I just go with the flow and enjoy a dig up there. Bill and everyone there have always been very nice to me.

It's their property and mining lease Dezman, they make the rules on the use of power tools, would be madness if everyone turned up with a bunch of jackhammers..........

Dezman,I must say this will be interesting to see what you find down the hole you decide to work!Or maybe just for safety!Drill a new one just outside the claim you are interested in and dig a narrow drive in several directions!Like you said,it's plenty of ground without a 9inch hole and who knows!Maybe you drill the 3 foothole str8 on a fortune!I read some stuff about dowsing or whatever it was called!

You are suposed to be able to pick up faults,slides down below!Have you tried that?How deep is the level out there?What about a few testholes with a nine inch before you put down that 3 footer?Cost for 9 inch holes!Great with all the pics Dezman!Keep em coming!Also thanks to Karl for sharing your stories!

Good Fortune - Digging Hard

Dezman at 48 you have heaps of good digging years in front of you, go get some opal man.
KarlS all your troubles started back when you bought a Falcon instead of a Holden ;) . It was a good read mate.
Cheers Max

Falcon instead of a Holden ;) Yeah I agree,48 is no age :cool: Keep digging Dezman,all the way to china!No worries at all!Just keep fit,stay away from injuries and avoid to much alcohol:)

Highway1 said:
Dezman at 48 you have heaps of good digging years in front of you, go get some opal man.
KarlS all your troubles started back when you bought a Falcon instead of a Holden ;) . It was a good read mate.
Cheers Max

Great idea below from you Dezman!I was told LRMA take 44 dollars a month or so to keep your stuff in their premises!It would be great If Prospecting Australia could arrange a spot for all members in the ridge while away!Not many stay during the hot summer,right?I would be happy to pay some dollars to Prospecting Australia each month if needed in the future!Maybe start a thread about it?

dezman said:
What would be a great idea is a ProspectingAustralia campsite and compound to leave our gear in!

Dowsing I tried years back on a friends claim and no doubt picked up a large blow under the ground.
I don't think you could find opal it self but faults etc. would be handy, the level is 45ft down and there are two 3ft hole to work from.
9" test holes are that and only a small sample too, so I'm more keen to see what is down there.
Where a 9" is good for finding a field by looking for a sandstone roof and clay level.
I'm off to the bore baths before the sun comes up, the biggest reason I came out here I think :D

Dowsing sounds like the way to find faults!Opals we have to digg to get!Anyhow,I am sure you will get something interesting down your hole!Read the opals from that area was awesome:)Yeah the bore baths sounds like the palce to be after a long day down the hole!Awesome with the pics Dezman!Keep em coming!By the way!

Did you find any hoists to buy yet?Messageboards?Keep me informed,I need one!I buy you a box of stubbies if you find something decent to buy!

Good Fortune - Digging Hard

Oh the bore bath is magic and to be there at first light is life.
Digging hard iv looked on one board and no luck with a hoist, I'll stop down at the post office for that was a good spot to look as well.
I need one too if I'm going to dig and a med to long throw would be my choice. But I think it's not going to be easy to find one at any price.
Have you signed up for the 11 august safety course?

The bore baths,awesome spot!I did the courses a few years back!Great value!Well,maybe Grawin is the place to find those long hoists!?Without one it will be hard to mine:)It should be a place to hire those machines!Weird if not!In any case,someone must build them!?How will new people otherwise get involved?With a candle and a pick loool?

Regards - Digging Hard

Dezman add pair of flat long nosed pliers to your first aid kit for Lightning Ridge they are good for getting those cactus barbs out. If it is in your toe or other body part a bit of port helps first :)

Hi Dezman, will you do us all a favour mate we are watching your thread with interest. There is one request, can you please make a post at least every 2nd day that way we know all is sweet with you and you are not stuck down a hole. Cheers Max

It was a while since we heard from you Dezman!Let's hope we hear from you soon with great updates!It would be cool to find out if there are any new opalrushes near the ridge?I was told Allahwa or similar name got potential!?Any rain in the area Dezman?That would be great for the farmers for sure!Good luck to them!

All the best - Digging Hard

1406155766_image.jpg

Big money was dug here 40years ago by a German miner, he had no idea how to find opal and just started digging. And straight up he hit opal, packed in side by side. He would go down with a screw driver and pop two or three out and cash them in, everyone a gem.
When it ran out he dug across the field finding the odd pocket or run of opal, then he left for other places but never really finished this area.

There is a large area that is still solid and waiting for me, but iv left the Ridge now as common sense keeps nagging me!
The mining course being three weeks away and then it's going to warm up soon after.
The money iv got saved would buy a work van for my business which is what I should be paying attention to. BUT I can't stop thinking about Opal, oh I wish I was free to live at the ridge and mine forever.
The smells, sights and lifestyle are beautiful. Sure they are having the worst dry ever, but under ground it's removed from the real world.

I tell myself I could phone up and book the course for 11/8 and dig for a month after that.
The memories are so strong from 18 years ago, nearly over powering.
Am I just chasing a faded memory or looking for my fortune?

Digging hard, Allahwa was mentioned the other day as a new field taking off.
The guy who told me said there are many new set ups working our there now, but not being on the run with a good claim is not much use to you.
I heard a story of a guy who brought a worked gun claim for $50,000 and has pulled another million out! That's a big investment but then your on opal, I feel $5000 to $10000 is a good price for a worked out claim with some ground left to explore is a fair buy. You still could gouge a stone or two from the worked area. Or drill a hole in the corner maybe.
There was 10mm of rain which settled the dust while I was there, but everything is dieing.

Thanks Max, at least I know I could survive two days on a bottle of water before help was on its way.
Not sure what's going to happen with the thread now! I'm exploring the Warrunbungles at the moment, of course I'm thinking what can I dig up here.
I could book the course and go back for a dig, then I could restart the thread next year with some better planning. Gee I never really know what I'm doing day to day, I guess thats why I like the idea of digging a tunnel. Each day watching my progress with the hope of finding the big patch.
The paperwork and rules are needed and I know I could push my way through them with some effort.
Thanks for the concern, Des.

Hi and thanks for the info about that rush outside the Ridge!Great to get some knowledge concerning that!OK,so that's the story about the 4 mile:)I think you should take that course and go there and dig,or you won't be able to sleep for a while!It sounds like a great lifestyle IF you find opals!Or even if you only find a few now and then!I agree,the heat is a burden but I am sure you manage!Looking forward to your future adventures here!To buy a proven claim seems to be the best deal!Who knows:))

Cheers - Digging Hard

Hi Dezman, good to hear from you. I know there are decisions we have to make and you are wrestling with the opal digging one, thats fine who knows opal digging might be right for you in a few weeks or might be next year.
The Warrunbungles is a nice part of NSW so have a good look around there.
Fossicking just gets us all involved, a couple of weeks ago I was looking for sapphire (photos yet to be posted) I found a couple around 2-3 carrots but I still can not wonder what if I stayed another day would have I found a nice big clear blue sapphire, I can only dream about it at the moment. :rolleyes:
Cheers
Max

Latest posts