bit of advice Labertouche area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys just after a bit of advice was wanting to try a new area this weekend with my river sluice.So ive been studying maps on labertouche area its a couple of hours drive from where i live. I think ive found a couple of creeks that have checked ok with the exempt list :) My question is this area 4wd only or are there areas i can have a go without getting stuck hours away from home with my 2wd .Not asking for gold spots just dont want to travel and waste my time if not accessible area with 2wd car.

Cheers Steve

Hi, depends where you plan on going! Plenty of roads around here are ok for 2wd cars but start venturing further out into the state Forrest and they start to get a bit rough. Some of the tracks are also closed at the moment for another month or to I think.

If the tracks have seasonal closure they are probably pretty nasty and 4x4 reccomended only. Try to find a mate with a 4x4 yo save getting stranded km's in the bush. As Jin mentioned, there may be a lot to view without going up those tracks. If in doubt and you really want to see what's up the tracks, walk it or motorbike. I've walked endless km's over the mountains I live in and still going due to no road access or 4x4 tracks

lookn4yellow said:
Hi guys just after a bit of advice was wanting to try a new area this weekend with my river sluice.So ive been studying maps on labertouche area its a couple of hours drive from where i live. I think ive found a couple of creeks that have checked ok with the exempt list :) My question is this area 4wd only or are there areas i can have a go without getting stuck hours away from home with my 2wd .Not asking for gold spots just dont want to travel and waste my time if not accessible area with 2wd car.

Cheers Steve

I've got a Kia that I've been trying to kill for the past few years and I use it on some tricky roads. The rule of thumb I use is: if it says road it's OK, if it says track avoid it, if in doubt walk it. Works a treat... usually. ;)

Thanks for the info guys pretty much as i thought will have to write down all my info and take a drive and look and leg it where i cant reach in car.Cant wait to offload 2wd and upgrade to 4wd so many more places accesable to adventure :)

lookn4yellow said:
Thanks for the info guys pretty much as i thought will have to write down all my info and take a drive and look and leg it where i cant reach in car.Cant wait to offload 2wd and upgrade to 4wd so many more places accesable to adventure :)

I feel the same way need to upgrade 2wd :( to 4wd :D

So frustrating at times a lot of the 2wd places have been worked to death i know its all in fun but can become expensive fun when it all adds up for no result :( but its all part of the chase have to take the goods with bads i spose

The thing is to do your research on gold baring areas that still produce gold, there's plenty about the place and I can assure you that having a 4wd will not necessarily get you to better gold if you haven't done the research.
I've only been prospecting for about 1 year and the only time I've actually put the Landcruiser in 4wd is when I've been to lazy to walk 50 meters or when I've taken the wife camping to a quiet location where I needed to do a river crossing.
4wd = opportunity but much higher running/repair costs and not necessarily going to find you more gold, just something to think about.

Cheers much appreciated info ProspectorPete and i can see your point but at the moment i have a lowered sedan or friends car so i am against it for a lot of places but hopefully not for long last couple things to fix then can finally put car on the market :) .Im always reading and trying to learn what i can at times i think i overload my mind with to much info and study haha.

A lot of that area is 2wd accessible.

Get a map of the area, and have a look and see what parts you want to go too, most should be on the circuit roads, or not too far from them any way :)

I have a 4wd and go there a bit, some tracks are pretty knarly, but most are easily driven

Iv tried a few of the creeks in labertouche with no luck I did find a lot of black sand but no yellow I didn't venture into the state park but from what creeks I tried there wasent much around at all hope this helps :)

All and any info is great and very much appreciated thanks Dylanpennack23.I havent ventured out that way yet still building my kit and probably do a weekender soon now that school holidays are almost over :)

ProspectorPete said:
The thing is to do your research on gold baring areas that still produce gold, there's plenty about the place and I can assure you that having a 4wd will not necessarily get you to better gold if you haven't done the research.
I've only been prospecting for about 1 year and the only time I've actually put the Landcruiser in 4wd is when I've been to lazy to walk 50 meters or when I've taken the wife camping to a quiet location where I needed to do a river crossing.
4wd = opportunity but much higher running/repair costs and not necessarily going to find you more gold, just something to think about.

Yes i had a G60 patrol once upon a time, that thing cost me a small fortune over the 2yrs i owned it. I think my current vehicle doesnt even class as a 2wd, its a BT50 Mazda ute great little vehicle tows well but have a slight slope say 5 Degrees on wet grass or Dirt and i aint going nowhere.

I carry a set of snow chains, only use them to get out, not into places. only had to use them once after heavy rain, thats with my 2wd. take them in the Subaru L and never had to use them, but cheap insurance. Just watch your ground clearance.
Cheers LL.

If some one wanted to organise a day out, I would volunteer my 4wd to go to out of the way places.....I am a total noob though when it comes to fossicking though ;)

Weekends are hard at the minute with the wife working and having two kids, but with enough notice I am sure I could get a day ;)

i know that feeling of ohh no little hill wet ground feels like the little engine that could i think i can i think i can lol snow chains great idea for just in case but id better stick to the half decent tracks wanna try sell my car one day soon in one piece hopefully haha and Mavsta a real nice offer to go out one day i appreciate it heaps :)

Are you actually able to find any signs of specks out there? I've read and looked as much as I can for gold history but not much showing up, though something has to be somewhere near there. All I found were the Labertouche caves which look interesting.

I'd say some gems would be around the area too

I havent been in that area yet.I was looking for places other side of melbourne change of scenery from west side and didnt want to travel to morwell so researched and found labertouche was a little closer not much haha. But area looked interesting on maps and i didnt find alot of info on the area either.

Latest posts