Best metal detector for kids?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavymetal

Luke Atkins
Reaction score
Hi everyone I was just after some advice on what type of metal detector I should buy for my kids to use. I don't want to spend more than $200. I was thinking maybe a Garrett Ace or Bounty Hunter but there is a lot more cheap detectors out there. If anyone has a cheap detector that they think works pretty good please let me know. It would be mainly for coins etc on the beach. I'm not too worried about how it performs on mineralized ground as the vic gold fields are a bit too harsh to take the kids out on to !! Any help with this subject would be great thanks !

Ha champ bounty hunter, my mates young bloke has and he loves it, especially around the park, finds a nice amount I've seen, I think he payed 180.00 ish on line, gumtree, I think. :cool: the bloke who sold it gave then a test run to make sure it worked. :)

I think you'll find it a bit hard to find a garrett or big name detector for under $200.00, there up around $300.00 mark. The gold snoop ($279.00)and the jack lange special ($295.00) are good starter detectors, not sure of garrett prices. Check out ebay :) Mick

I agree Nugget. The garrett would be the way to go if you can pick up a cheap one. The Minelab 30 & 305 are still abit expensive, even second hand. Years ago I had a Bounty Hunter and although they work they're built to a budget and the depth wasn't that good, even for the kids.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am leaning towards a Garrett as I have been very happy with my AT Gold. All the coins I detect this year are going into a jar to buy the kids a detector. So far we have $43.55 which isn't too bad considering it's only March ! I really want to get them an Ace 250.(Around the $200 mark) for now they will have to keep working the pick for me !! :lol:

Hi all - have signed up to ask some questions on my son's behalf. We are looking for an inexpensive detector for beach/park use and am wondering if anyone can recommend a tried and tested model has had decent results.

Budget is $250 but as I have 3 kids am hoping to go lower than that if possible. My son is only 6 but I dont want a "toy" that will end up gathering dust. Would the Bounty Hunter Junior be sufficient? Have also looked at the Bounty Hunter Tracker 4 but would this be way too big?

Thanks in advance.

Try the bounty hunter gold digger just got the nephew one and it's not bad for $140 posted on eBay, ALOT BETTER than the cheep jaycar ones that was his first detector that only dug a 20c at 2" this BH would dig the same 20c over 4" without a problem and only two controls to fiddle with, on/off inc gain & trash Discriminator.

A good quality and proven detector that has only one control, lightweight, and basically beep and dig, also look at the Tesoro Compadre which is around the $220 mark. Probably the biggest issue for a 6 year old will be the shaft and cuff length on most detectors, including the Compadre, other than ones specifically designed kids unfortunately, and most of them aren't that flash. For a 6 year old, the bounty hunter junior or treasure tracker might be the only detector suitable size wise for that age, at least it is actually made by a detector company.

Looking at cost effective options for the kids any suggestions guys
Needs to have simple LCD screen the at gold was to complex

Hi!

I'd love to buy a metal detector for my 10yo son for Christmas... Gold, coins, jewelry.. mostly old goldfields, bush and public parks... Beachcombing would also be fun but less common. Prefer under $300... any suggestions please?

Thanks!

Garrett has the Ace range 150, 250 and 350 models. Minelab has the xterra 305, 505 and 705. There is also the Minelab Go find range, 20 40 and 60. There are other brands but these are 2 of the top brands.
Anaconda have the minelabs on sale at the moment. http://www.anacondastores.com/sports/electronics/metal-detectors/c/metal-detectors
Do some reading around the forum to see what others think of different detectors. Most people like to upgrade fairly quickly so spending as much as you can may avoid this.

Also check out the sponsors section. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=24

Good luck

If you are going to go with the Go Find at least get the 40 as the 20 does not have pinpoint, I got one for the kids and no pin point kinda sucks. For the extra I would even go the 60 for your budget of $300. In saying that the Go Find is pretty nifty and is quite good in low trash parks, the kids have a ball with it and a pro pointer.

Guys,

Just wondering what detector you guys thought would be good for my 12 year old daughter.

I use a GPX5000 and my daughter has used my old ATX a few times, but it is way to heavy for her and she start complaining about it after about an hour.

It depends on budget and what you're wanting to detect, but it might be worth checking out the Go Find range from Minelab or the Garrett AT or ACE line up.

Jaros said:
You even go for the Aldi detector--ok for coins and pretty light.
Yeah,agreed definitely light and will find some cool stuff.I think Aldi sell them around December.

Latest posts