Bendigo Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All

I Have a few days off over the next 2 or so weeks and was thinking about swinging my detector north of Bendigo, and never prospecting in the area before was wondering if it was worth while taking my sluice and pans along??

any advice would be great

thanks in advance

Chris

Wouldn't hurt taking the pans mate as there will be a little water about' north of notleys picnic area has give up a few small nuggets could be worth collecting some samples in buckets and doing some panning in a nearby dam. Iv spend a lot of time swinging south of notleys with no luck but that don't mean there's nothing there.

I pondered for a long while about trying for alluvial out that end of town, and ran into a guy that swore the dams had great gold from people washing out some whilst panning. Quick google earth check and i sampled over thirty water points for a grand total of a few dozen specks. Defeated on that front (hey it might be there but IMHO you'd need to be highbanking) i took too sampling up some dry creek beds and gravel wash that was patchy but definitely gold. Had better luck closer to town around lightning hill, but water can be an issue. Out of town there are much better places all round, but it is out there, just depends on how hard you want to work for it. Been meaning to go back with some better hope of wetter areas, I'm sure with the good gold that comes out from there from the detectorists there's bound to be some good alluvial gold to be had.

Thanks for the replies guys

Alas I had already left by the time you had answered and I didn't take any pans etc. it was more of a look around to get feel for the place, I did find a few small pieces but I will post that in the metal detection.

thanks again for the replies and next time I will be taking the pans and high banker

Cheers
Chris

Copied the weather report for it.

News

Bendigo flooded as heavy rain hits Victoria, storms predicted

Elissa Doherty, Sophie Aubrey
Herald Sun
January 09, 2015 8:13PM

BENDIGO has been besieged by rain, with flash flooding affecting homes, major roads and causing shops to evacuate.

The SES has received 100 calls for help in just an hour after a major downpour began after 3pm.

A Vicroads spokesman said flash flooding had hit main roads across the region, including the Calder Highway, closed at Smiths Rd in Maiden Gully.

More closures may happen if severe flooding continues.

Ceilings have caved in and sporting events washed out while the Myer store in the Hargreaves Mall was among those evacuated.

The store is about to reopen half its floor after flooding made it unsafe for customers.

The slippery section of the department store will remain barricaded off but will be reopened tomorrow.

State Control Centre spokesman Gerard Scholten said CFA and SES crews were out in force after 15mm of rain bucketed down within 10 minutes.

Mr Scholten said the suburbs central Bendigo, Marong, Maiden Gully, California Gully and Golden Square had been most impacted.

Several retail stores including Coles were closed due to flash flooding.

Weather bureau senior forecaster Stephen King said there was a line of storms stretching from Walpeup in the states northwest to Mt Baw Baw in the southeast.

Mr King said heavy rain was expected for up to five days in parts of the state.

Its unusual its over such a long period, he said.

13.6mm of rain fell between 3.30pm and 4pm in a massive downpour that is expected to bring the most rain to Victoria in six years.

The four-day deluge is predicted to bring up to 100mm of rain to some parts of the state.

More rainfall is expected in Bendigo throughout the weekend but not the significant downpour of this afternoon.

Those headed for the sold-out Portsea Polo should add an umbrella to their outfits: 20mm of rain is expected in the town tomorrow.

Athletes Foot owner Graham Beet said the city had gone from extreme heat to extreme rain this week.

It turned black at about 3pm for about 20 minutes this afternoon, it was like it was night, then it came down in heavy rain, he said.

It backed off for 10-15 minutes, then there was a really heavy tropical deluge like you would get in Queensland.

The rain is likely to be welcomed in parts of the state that have battled drought-like conditions and in the northwest, ravaged by bushfires.

Flash flooding will be a risk across the state, particularly in the west and across the ranges.

Bureau of Meteorology forecaster Stephen King said the bone-drylands of the northwest would likely soak up 50-80mm of rain before any water went into the river systems.

Its likely it will be well into Saturday before the ground is saturated enough to start to see a run-off, he said.

Todays weather warnings come after two days of severe thunderstorms across Melbourne, which damaged more than 350 buildings and plunging tens of thousands of homes into darkness.
If only I was there for it(story of my life).

Hi guys !!

Going to Bendigo tomorrow to look for some golden goodness and was wondering if anyone knows of any good places to start . I'm new to this (about 2-3 weeks in ) so any help is good help

Thanks and happy hunting :)

If I was free I would come over (any excuse will do) and give some pointers on the f75. Alas Mrs GT has me traversing the countryside with no wiggle room. Just post up if you intend to be there Sunday I'll drive over.
If not head out north end of Bendigo in the Whipstick State Park now part of Greater Bendigo National Park. If you Google it you can start from there. Any place is good a visit to the local detecting shop might point you in the right direction. Anywhere out there you'll come across somewhere to detect.

Good luck Golden Newbie, personally don't have any experience with Bendigo prospecting. Either digging creeks or detecting however I know a few spots closer to ballarat you may do alright with a detector.. Just very hot ground so needs good discrimination or target I.D

Loads of areas around Bendigo. Whipstick forest, Kangaroo Flat are just a couple. If you head out into most of the state forests in the area, you will see plenty of old diggings. They are always a good spot to start.
If you look on Ebay for Doug Stone's books or John Tully maps, they will help.

Hey all. Tomorrow I will be heading up to Bendigo for the minersden sdc training. It's not until 1:00pm so I thought I'll jump the mark and get up there nice and early to go for a swing. Should I head up towards whipstick or go more towards kangaroo flat. I have never detected up there before but any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers Chuky :D

Hi chuky

Head straight to the store mate. There are opportunities as close as over the road.
The whip is hot and kangaroo flat is tough (my mum lives there LOL)
the guys will point you in the right direction Im sure.
Good luck with the course mate.

GT :)

davent said:
Based soley on the name, Id go whipstick.
I, ve been to 2 places in Victoria, hang on, 3.

Melbourne, Pukapunyal and Wadonga, so take my advice for what its worth....btw, I liked Melbourne, but wouldnt want to live there! :D
Haha cheers davent. I'd rather live away from the city and right in the middle of the Triangle. The wife doesn't agree.

Hi everyone
A mate and I are heading to Bendigo for a week and taking detectors and pans and family so we would just like to know where to start ,don't want anyones X spot just a good place to start as we r traveling from SA , we will get a miners right when we get there or might even do it on line , any help we be greatly appreciated thanks again for any info

while you are getting your miners right grab a doug stone map and start from the old diggings and work out. these maps are old and may not be truly accurate but are a good starter. good luck.

Jump on geovic online, drag the cursor to make a square over an area you are interested in then add layers for minerals, leads and workings, this will give you heaps of info, spend 30 mins here will save you hours in the field, good luck

Latest posts