Bendigo Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Roverrock I'm working through the week are you staying in Bendigo or moving about plenty of spots at Whipstick Forrest cheers Muk.

There is a bit of gold surprisingly close to some of the houses around the Whipstick area. If you can deal with the trash and the emi. I usually boot the large overload signals off the top soil and keep moving. I'll dig those subtle threshold changes in between though. Good luck :D

Hey guys and gals!
I've decided this year that I'll be travelling down to Bendigo this year to do some detecting!
I haven't been there before and realise I'll need to get a license and insect spray! Is there anything else I should know before I travel ?

Should I just focus on the common areas of the whipstick ? It was suggested to me to head to Neilborough to search around there, and not being familiar with the area, thought it as worth asking people that knew better!

I plan to hit up the Shamrock Hotel for a nice lunch!

Cheers!
bYt!

heh..I can respect honest advice!
I don't plan to be around people often though, I'll likely head bush and spent most of my time there!

Go to Victoria Hill and see how the Quartz king of Bendigo made his millions!

Then check the deep leads at Kangaroo Flat!

:lol:

You know, I don't actually mind the heat down there, it doesn't bother me anywhere near as badly as it does here.
Its because the heat there is a DRY heat, whereas here, we always have a really high humidity, which obviously makes you a lot wetter than is comfortable!
But dry heat, I'm comfortable with! I'll wear a hat and likely either go out very early in the morning or very late in the evening... I'm half keep to try some night detecting, but with the diggings and lack of awareness of the areas Im keen, but not THAT keen...

Quartz King of Bendigo? lol I've never heard of that before!
My folks told me that there was one really successful businessman in Bendigo in the early years that owned at least half of the Bendigo town center!
When he died, he supposedly had no family he cared for and left everything to the Catholic Church! (You know, because they cry poor and need money)

HarryHoudini,
that's some pretty solid advice that I will in fact get onto right now! I didn't even remotely consider it but that's a really, REALLY good piece of practical advice!

Whoever envisions being bitten by snakes? My mindset had me holding a huge chunk of gold skyward as I basked in my own glory.. Wasn't really picturing myself cowering in the fetal position, covered in snakes who were feeding on me...!

Thanks for the ideas regarding locations! I never did much checking outside of the Bendigo area, I'll get some maps for Wedderburn and Bealiba and see what public land is available there for a few swings of the machine! Thanks dude!

There have been a few big chuncks found recently. You just have to walk over the beast and have it beep.
Outside Bendigo appears to be better - less foot traffic as you go further into the bush. Loads of interesting places.
As for snakes it was just a heads up had some people out last week and they nearly walked on one with the kids. Mind you they were just as scared when a frill necked lizzard decided to show off.

https://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/636657/Bendigo-prospecting-map.pdf

or here http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/visit/popular-activities/fossicking

Cheers

Check out the Debra mine tour in town. It's pretty cool, they take you down the lift to one of the levels and show you a massive quartz vein with some nice looking nuggets inside of it.

HarryHoudini,
that's some pretty solid advice that I will in fact get onto right now! I didn't even remotely consider it but that's a really, REALLY good piece of practical advice!

Whoever envisions being bitten by snakes? My mindset had me holding a huge chunk of gold skyward as I basked in my own glory.. Wasn't really picturing myself cowering in the fetal position, covered in snakes who were feeding on me...!

G'day Bytraper, I have never been down to "Mexico" :lol: but I did order one of these snake bandages from this website: http://www.survivalfirstaidkits.net.au/shop/first-aid-accessories/smart-snake-bandage

On special and free delivery. Thanks for the link Hobosgold from 4umer ;)

Good luck on your adventure mate. :cool:

Cheers,

Billy.

Hello everyone,

Heading up to Bendigo at the end of the week for work and should be staying up there for a couple of days.

Does anybody know of any creeks that have some flow and are easy to access (I will only have a 2wd due to work)? Or better still, is there anybody that lives up that way and fancies some panning?

I'm not quite sure what my work commitments are, however I will find out as the week progresses. At the minimum, I should have a few daylight hours here and there to hold the fever at bay.

Drop me a PM if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

Aiden

Hey AM,

Funny enough I was in Bendigo two weekends ago for work too! First time, I've been there.

I found it a little confusing where to go. I rang the miners Den and they said to drop in and they would point out some places. They did say over the phone that it is better for detecting than for panning and that the creeks are pretty dry. I didn't have time to stop into the shop unfortunately, nor have a look at the local creeks, I was too busy (Damn work). So you might want to drop in to the shop...

In the end, I decided to go to Reedy Creek at El Dorado on the way down (I drove to Bendigo). Near Beechworth. It's about 3 hours away from Bendigo on the way back to Sydney. It was a good spot, with plenty of fine gold. River was running nicely. So good for sluices etc. I would say 2wd accessible, I stayed in 2WD. Dunno about in the wet.

If you have time I'd also recommend having a look at the dredge in Beechworth. It is a monster.

Again, the main reason I chose where I went is that I was pretty much driving past it. If you are flying, your choices will be little different.

Here is a link to Bendigo fossicking areas: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/636657/Bendigo-prospecting-map.pdf

Here is a link to fossicking areas around Beechworth/ Eldorado: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/as...-Mt-Pilot-National-Park-Prospecting-Guide.pdf

Hope this helps

Thanks Brendomac.

I'm based in Melbourne so it's not too far to drive for me. I know of a few creeks in the golden triangle to try that have flow so I'll give those a go if I get the time.

I've been up to Reedy prospecting and camping a few times. Funnily enough I got stuck in my 2wd hilux and had to get pulled out. I did do something stupid though and went through a puddle that I had been through a few times no problem. Turns out the puddles had turned into huge holes in the road. Won't be making that mistake again.

Thanks for the info about miners den, I'll definitely pop in if I get the chance.

Thanks mate.

Latest posts