Batteries leaked, any suggestions?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a bit embarrassed to have to be asking the following questions :8
Due to lack of use/time, the batteries that I left (stupidly), in my xterra 705 have leaked and it is no longer turning on. :rolleyes:

I have cleaned up the terminals as best I can with some white vinegar and sandpaper but it doesnt seem to have made much difference.
If I apply pressure to the battery cover it briefly lights up with a tone and a E.

Is there anything I can do to bring her back to life or is she now a reminder of dug treasures and a vessel of spare parts?

Is it worth sending in to Minelab, or will that not be worth it? Shes a fair few years old now but up until my mistake was working like a champion :brokenh:

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give a broken detectorist 8.(

It wouldn't hurt to ask Minelab whether anything can be done to repair your detector.Give them a call.I always worried about this happening with my 705 so remove them after every hunt.Its the same with anything that runs on batteries,never leave them in longer than 2 weeks.I think it says this in the manual.

All depends on how bad the degas and acid has been and what damage..

Could just me the terminals or it could be worse...

ML may come to the party - if not give us a yell.

The 705 is easy to work on BUT you still need a few skills..

PS. Stay away from Duracell they would have to be the worse for leaking..

Latest posts