Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spot on RM, thought you'd get this one. :playful: :playful:

Reginald Murray Williams AO, CMG (24 May 1908 4 November 2003) was an Australian bushman and entrepreneur who rose from a swagman to a millionaire. Widely known as just 'R.M.', he was born at Belalie North near Jamestown in the Mid North of South Australia, 200 kilometres north of Adelaide, into a pioneering settler family working and training horses. R.M. had many adventures in Australia's rugged outback as a bushman, and became known for creating an Australian style of bushwear recognised worldwide.

Thanks Manpa,

Certainly a Legend :Y: Sir Reginald.

I've just sent a PM to MegsyB007 and asked if MegsyB007 would like to take a turn as a rightful winner with post 9702 on page 389. MegsyB007 postponed due to work commitments and I'm in the same position, busy and don't have a question ready. If MegsyB007 doesn't reply by tomorrow night I'll ask a question then.

Thanks RM, I'll give one a go.

Who am I?

I was born in 1842 in what is now called Fitzroy, Victoria, the oldest of eight children.

At 14, I started work in a stationery store in Melbourne.

in 1860 I took a job at my aunt and uncle, Alexander and Margaret Cameron's, estate in Penola, South Australia.

Well, that was fast! :Y:

She was canonised on 17 October 2010, during a public ceremony in St Peter's Square at the Vatican. She is the first Australian to be recognised by the Catholic Church as a saint.

Over to you Manpa!

I handed this over to Megsy in late April and sent an email but Megsy may be away so I'll get the ball rolling again,

What am I, I was first explored in 1936 by a couple of locals and I am still being explored.

Buchan Caves or Undurra Lava Tubes put simply I don't know and don't have time to research :lol: :( wouldn't be the first time a wild guess scored the chocolates :|

Doug, you are correct, the Princess Margaret Rose Caves on the Sa Vic Border.

Over to you.

History and Formations

The Cave

Mr K. McEachern and Mr J. Hutchesson and his sons Alan & Bernie, first explored the cave in 1936.The original entrance was a 17m vertical shaft, as visitor access was restricted a stairwell had to be dug through the limestone, this stairwell took Keith and Bunny 5 years to dig. They developed the cave as a tourist attraction with Bunny" Hutchesson acting as the first permanent guide, conducting tours from 4th January 1941. Since 1980, the cave has been part of the Lower Glenelg National Park.

Formations

Most limestone caves are formed by water seeping down through cracks and fault lines in the limestone, dissolving the rock and creating fissures and tunnels. The formation of Princess Margaret Rose Cave, however, was assisted by water from the Glenelg River which worked its way along a fault line for approx 500m. This occurred above its present height. The water scalloped the walls of the cave and wore a reasonably level floor.

Rainwater, as it seeps from the surface, acts as a weak acid to dissolve the limestone, producing a solution of calcium bicarbonate. When this reaches the air of the cave, carbon dioxide is released and calcium carbonate is deposited in the form of calcite crystals.
These crystals make up the diverse and spectacular formations of the cave. The different colours are caused by tannins and minerals washed down by rainwater from overlying soil.

Latest posts