Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MegsyB007 said:
They still got around it by landing in SA and walking to the GT!
Well, it was the ship's captains who got around it by landing at Robe - but that was only a trivial point, that it was a tax the captains had to pay (its size was still directly related to the number of Chinese on board, so imposed on Chinese as you say).

some one answered it, the answers gone,
maybe i'm losing it :awful:
The Vic government introduced a language test
for the Chinese miners before letting them
enter Victoria.

RockRat said:
some one answered it, the answers gone,
maybe i'm losing it :awful:
The Vic government introduced a language test
for the Chinese miners before letting them
enter Victoria.
Give us another one then - no matter (what were we talking about again.....?)

Sam Poo was a Chinese bushranger in Australia who was active in the Coonabarabran region of New South Wales during 1865.
Poo was a Chinese emigrant to Australia during the Gold Rush, but instead of mining took to highway robbery on the road between Gulgong and Mudgee.

And if he was here today, he would have been stirred mercilessly with a name like that...

Correct :money: :Y:
He was one bad Chinaman, killed a policeman, senior constable John Ward, assaulted a woman, robbed his fellow man,
he knew where they hid it,under there pony tails. and it took a lot to track him down, but Harry Hughes , a half cast
tracker was a better man, he found him with a party of police, cranky Sam Poo put up a fight and was shot in the thigh. They wanted to keep
him alive and live he did to be hanged at the gallows at Bathurst jail.
over to you;

Who am I?

I was born in England in 1827, became famous in 1869, and was buried at Marong (Vic) in 1906.

Spot on Mackka! I was thinking I'd have to add another clue or two - but you were all over it! Well done mate - over to you!

Latest posts