Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a good one here. I'm stuck with it now. I will probably kick myself when I find out what place it is. The only ones I have left in the area are Dunk Sland and Brook Island but it's probably neither of them.

shakergt said:
You have a good one here. I'm stuck with it now. I will probably kick myself when I find out what place it is. The only ones I have left in the area are Dunk Sland and Brook Island but it's probably neither of them.

I will let you think about it a bit more. ^^^^

Cheers

Doug

Hey shaker,

You took your sweet time to work it out. Yes the Australian and US military conducted chemical weapons testing on the Brook Island group from January to May in 1944.

"Sqn Ldr. Hampshire had been advised by Lt. Col Crowder that 50 volunteers from US military prisons were used as guinea pigs for the mission. They had been promised freedom if they would occupy underground tunnels during the bombing mission. Hampshire was told by Crowder that all 50 prisoners had died in this mustard gas experiment. I have not been able to confirm this story via other references as yet."

Over to you shakergt.

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Hey shaker,

You took your sweet time to work it out. Yes the Australian and US military conducted chemical weapons testing on the Brook Island group from January to May in 1944.

"Sqn Ldr. Hampshire had been advised by Lt. Col Crowder that 50 volunteers from US military prisons were used as guinea pigs for the mission. They had been promised freedom if they would occupy underground tunnels during the bombing mission. Hampshire was told by Crowder that all 50 prisoners had died in this mustard gas experiment. I have not been able to confirm this story via other references as yet."

Over to you shakergt.

Cheers

Doug

Yet another thing our government keeps quite. Besides Wikipedia this is about all I could find

http://www.ozatwar.com/brook island trial.htm

Who was I

My grave is located in Karrakatta cemetery WA and I was born in 1860

I married in 1884 before moving to Western Australia in 1893

Latest posts