Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry not him, another clue

I bought a 30+ metre sailing boat
The boat was named after an aquatic animal
I changed the boat from wind to steam powered

You could say I was a very spirited boat

You could say I was a very spirited boat :)
I plied my trade along various coastal rivers for about 14 years with this boat

I processed grass on the rear deck of the boat

You could say I was a very spirited boat :)
I plied my trade along various coastal rivers for about 14 years with this boat
I processed grass on the rear deck of the boat
My area of operation was Queensland

I refined the juice of the grass on the foredeck , this was a very popular product

Very clever question - It was not Bundaberg, but another well known distillery that has something to do with the answer!

"A mobile distillery also served the numerous plantations along the rivers. This was the steam operated 'Walrus', a boat which was built at Cleveland in 1864 as a sailing vessel, then sold in 1869 to James Stewart who converted it to steam and installed a still. A license to operate as a floating distillery was reluctantly granted on 14 April 1869 by the Inspector of Distilleries, although he deemed the boat unsuitable for the purpose, as there was then no other licensed distillery in the area. The boat then operated as the Pioneer Floating Sugar Mill. Its licence was not renewed in 1872 as it did not fulfil the requirement to carry cane-crushing equipment and acted solely as a distillery, producing rum from molasses. This is the thick syrup remaining after cane juice has been crystallised by boiling to produce sugar. Rum is produced from this by-product by adding water and yeast and fermenting the mixture. This is then boiled and the alcohol vapour separated out by distillation, the condensate being collected, perhaps charcoal filtered, and stored in casks to mature.

By 1869 Davy and Gooding had 55 acres under cane and were constructing a sugar mill, which was in operation by the following year. The boom in sugar in the region in the 1870s led to the rapid development of the nearby township that took its name from the Beenleigh plantation. By 1876 this was described by Bailliere's Gazetteer as a provincial centre serving an area with nine sugar mills and two distilleries within six kilometres of the township.

After the 'Walrus's' license was withdrawn it is said to have carried on its operations illegally for some years. In 1883 the boat was beached on the banks of the Albert River and Francis Gooding purchased its still, obtaining a distillery licence in June 1884. The price of sugar fell in 1884 and this may have had some bearing on the decision to include distilling in the partnership's operations The Beenleigh distillery had 9877 gallons of rum on hand by 31 March 1885. The Post Office Directory for that year lists three distilleries in the area: Ageston, Davy and Gooding, and the Loganholme Sugar Company. Many small plantations in the area failed in the 1880s due also to frosts, disease and soil exhaustion. The river flats in the Logan area where many plantations had been located for ease of transport were also prone to flooding."

The Walrus is commemorated by the Walrus Club, a bar in Toowong.

I much prefer Beenleigh to Bundaberg Rum. The Beenleigh distillery also now produces the legendary Inner Circle Rum, a bottle of the Green Dot (57.2%) caused me some grief at Tuena a few years ago.

I remember the post and after affects of that episode DrDuck. :8
Yes, The ground can be very uneven when one is not very watch full
of one's activities. 8) ]:D :lol: :lol:

I haven't had time to research extensively, but here goes.

I was a rare and exclusive product, with a lot of history, but disappeared for a while. I was revived by a yachtsman and an old bloke.

Latest posts