Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rockhunter62
In 1802 Pemulwuy was shot and then decapitated, and his head was preserved in alcohol then sent to England as a gift to Joseph Baker. His resistance against the British invasion was a great example to many other Aboriginal warriors who followed in Pemulwuys footsteps.

OMG.......The British took it to a whole new level didn't they............ At least he gave it a good go.. back with a question shortly ;)

This is a pretty easy one..............

In March 1942 General Douglas MacArthur arrived in Australia... What was it that he told Prime Minister John Curtin that led to Australia to lose faith in the British when it came to them having Australia's Back?? And why was Australia spared from a full invasion? :eek:

I will see if I can get this right.

England was deemed to be the priority so no reinforcements (Australian) were not allowed to return to the Pacific Campaign and the Battle of Midway spared Australia from a full invasion.

Cheers

Doug

I guess these paragraphs explain it all.

It was not until the arrival of General Douglas MacArthur in Australia in March 1942 that Curtin received proof that Churchill had betrayed Australia at the Arcadia Conference and had been lying to him when he promised powerful British support to oppose a Japanese invasion of Australia. MacArthur had been deeply shocked to learn while still in the Philippines that his army had been abandoned by President Roosevelt and Prime MInister Churchill to defeat and capture by the Japanese. An American submarine commander had penetrated the Japanese blockade of the Philippines and brought the grim news of betrayal at Arcadia to MacArthur.

Australia is saved from invasion by the Japanese Army!

In January 1942, Australia offered little in the way of economic resources to the Japanese, but senior admirals of Japan's Navy General Staff viewed Australia as a threat to Japan's newly conquered western Pacific empire, and they wanted to invade and occupy key areas of the northern Australian mainland. The admirals feared that the United States would be able to use Australia as a base to oppose further Japanese military aggression in the western Pacific region and to recover American territory already conquered by Japan.

Fortunately, by early March 1942, the Japanese Army had conquered and occupied so much territory from Burma to Australian New Guinea that it had overstretched its supply and manpower resources, and needed time to consolidate and fortify the boundaries of Japan's greatly expanded empire. Faced with this manpower shortage, the size of Australia, and transport problems, the Japanese generals refused to provide troops for an invasion of Australia at that time.

So, at a time when the Japanese Navy General Staff wanted to occupy key areas of the northern Australian mainland, and when Australia was ill-prepared to defend itself against a powerful and determined enemy, it appears to have been saved from invasion in March 1942 partly because the Australian mainland was so large, partly because the Japanese were running short of troops to invade and occupy additional territory, and partly because of the difficulty of supplying them across a vast stretch of ocean.

I hadn't got to this reference yet gc.

cheers

Doug

That's correct rockhunter62 I thought more members........ahhh it doesn't matter what I thought lol :lol: :lol: over to you now :cool:

cheers GC

Vivian Bullwinkel was an Australian Army nurse during the Second World War. She was the sole survivor of the Bangka Island Massacrehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivian_Bullwinkel
A Japanese officer ordered the remaining 22 nurses and one civilian woman to walk into the surf.[1] A machine gun was set up on the beach and when the women were waist deep, they were machine-gunned. All but Sister Lt Vivian Bullwinkel were killed.[1] Wounded soldiers left on stretchers were then bayoneted and killed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangka_Island_massacre

:lol: And here I was looking for another answer searching and searching :lol: :lol: That's ok Rockhunter all's good here ;) regards greencheeks :cool:
I will post one shortly, I might have to get my wife to help me find a good question ;)

This is one of the oldest banners in the history of Australia
1480500077_object.jpg

Where is the location that it was most famous for being used ?
And by what type of people or group of people first used it?

Better have a go,
http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/objectsthroughtime/lambingflatsbanner/
A cloth banner with a hand painted Southern Cross emblem. Around the perimeter is painted the slogan Roll Up, Roll Up, No Chinese. The banner is made of white cotton with yellow, red and blue paint. The banner was originally trimmed with lace and tied with red and green ribbon, but the lace and ribbons are now gone. It is aged with yellow foxing and possible water marks. It was painted over 130 years ago and is one of the oldest banners in the history of Australia. It is in a very fragile condition. Dimensions: Approx 1200mm wide, 1200mm high and 2mm deep.
A report in mid 1861 that 1,500 Chinese had landed in Sydney bound for Lambing Flat, in central New south Wales, alarmed many miners who were doing it tough and saw the Chinese as a threat to their prosperity. With no troopers stationed at Lambing Flat to control the situation, the miners formed into a large a mob with the call roll up. In June 1861, the worst anti-Chinese riots in Australian history occurred at Lambing Flat that resounded throughout Australian political and cultural history. Three thousand miners amassed to move the Chinese off the goldfield. A militant mob took over the meeting of miners assembled at All and Ale pub at Tipperary Gully. The drunken mob headed by a brass band then began the march to Lambing Flat, with two men carrying the banner at the front of the procession.

On reaching Lambing Flat, the procession made for the Chinese camp. The mob set upon the Chinese, assaulting them, while their pigtails were cut off. The Chinese miners tents, clothing and furniture were set on fire and their mining tools destroyed. The procession moved on to the Back Creek Chinese camp five miles further on, and again carried out assaults and damaged tents and mining equipment. The Lambing Flat Miner newspaper, estimated the value of property destroyed at 3000 pounds. When all had been destroyed, the band formed up and the procession headed back to camp.

That's correct .. well done Tathradj ;) over to you

The banner that was used in the riot created a symbol that began to crystallise the ideologies of racism, nationalism and exclusive egalitarianism in a conceptual process that would manifest itself in the New south Wales Chinese Immigration Act of 1861 and later the Federal Immigration Restriction Act of 1901.

The banner represents the experience of the 19th century Chinese on the gold fields. The myths surrounding the Chinese created largely on the gold fields provided the seeds for the ideology for the 1901 Immigration Restriction Acts. The banner represents the ever present undercurrent of racism in Australian history.
http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/exhibition/objectsthroughtime/lambingflatsbanner/ And I thank the NSW GOV for providing the information

It is one of a number of designs loosely based on the Eureka flag that was used in various Chinese protests. Another was used at Clunes in Victoria, where European miners "rioted" against the employment of Chinese miners. The Chinese miners had been introduced by the directors of the quartz mining company, one of whom was Peter Lalor, leader of the Eureka rebellion - his profile dropped after he became a politician and mining company director.

Latest posts