Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey must be a tough one and fairly google proof to this stage.

Clue 6

I am in NSW and infact delightful views can be enjoyed from my location.

GT :)

Hooray Bob good get. I was running out of subtle clues to test you all. I figured when the Doc said Elizabeth Farm and I said good guess that it wouldn't leave much doubt as to what it was !!
The Trout and the Grayling on the Coat of Arms of Vaucluse France I thought would also give it away. I nearly mentioned I was named after a spring ( water) also.

Anyway your go.

I spent a few hours last night researching another notable explorer and his association with another well known architect. Wow , I did learn a lot but not the answer to your well crafted question.

I am now heading up the the Cat and Fiddle in Balmain for some thinking juice while I ponder my next question. I will post it in the morning or earlier of the money runs out or latter if :p I get lucky

That was a bloody good question GT and is going to take a lot of topping.

Bob :lol:

what about floods. The flood in the Gulf in 1869 where the top end was almost swept away and over 10,000 sheep were drowned.?

In just one notorious example, after the massacre of 19 European colonists at Cullin-la-Ringo Station (80 kilometres south-west of Emerald) on 17 October 1861, at least 370 Aboriginal people were indiscriminately murdered

I'd say you nailed it Ramjet. ;) I thought I was still in for a chance as Balmain Bob stated within 50k's...I think he meant miles. 50mi=80km

Kerry Packer purchased the Ellerston property which originally was an outstation for the Belltrees property once owned by Wentworth.

Belltrees
Located 16 km east of Gundy on the Scone-Nundle Road is a turnoff on the right to Belltrees (established 1831), a 9,000 ha (22,000 acre) horse, sheep and cattle property and a superb example of an elegant colonial country seat. It was built on land granted to Hamilton Sempill who became the manager of the Segenhoe property in 1830. He named Belltrees after the English estate of an ancestor. When Sempill returned to England the property was taken over by the explorer W.C. Wentworth who sold the property in 1853 to the sons of James White of the Edinglassie estate at Muswellbrook.

Ellerston and the Packers
The single road forks at Moonan Flat and Pages Creek Road heads north-east through the Packer family's Ellerston property which started as an outstation for the Belltrees property. Packer bought the 30,000 ha property in 1972 and subsequently had golfer, Greg Norman, design a golf course which is now considered to be one of the best in Australia. Kerry Packer died in 2005 and is buried near the property's polo fields.

Latest posts