Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Slowflow not Thomas Elder

Recipient of the Order of Australia , I died in 2003 at the age of 95

Reginald Murray Williams AO it is well done Nucopia

He turned his hand to leatherwork making bridles, and pack saddles in his fathers back shed in Adelaide , his big break coming with the supply of saddles to Sir Sidney Kidman, his outback clothing line is sold across the world today

Its a shame but I understand that RM's clothes are made in Asia.
Also Doc that was a great question on the wooden paved streets. Didn't know that.
Cheers GT

I knew it once you said OAM and died 2003 as the RM Williams store located at Airds of Lockinvar and is not far from where I live...in 2003 just before he passed, I had an American mate of mine that asked me to buy him a genuine Australian hat, he wanted a slouch hat, he is a USMC Vietnam vet and remembers the Aussie larackins from Nam with greqt respect and affection. As he said to me on many occasions I would rather fight beside Australian troops then any others becaue you guys have no fear, you look after your mates and you dont take shit from anyone.
I ended up getting him an Akubra stockmens hat. To this day he says its the best hat he's ever owned.

Sentenced to death with my two brothers for sedition.
But died a respected member of society a pioneer and valued government employer of a fledgling colony . For 217 years australia has been my home.
I rest now in Liverpool NSW.

Sentenced to death with two of my brothers for sedition.
But died a respected member of society a pioneer and a valued government employer of a fledgling colony in Liverpool. West of Sydney .Transported for life to Australia which has been my home for 217 years.
I rest now in Liverpool NSW.

aah..my great x4 grandfather Nicholas Delaney fits this question to a tee :cool: but i guess its not him... how about Francis GREENWAY

I don't think its Greenway, who was transported for forgery. There were numbers of Irish and Scottish convicts sent here for sedition, but i haven't found one who fits all the clues.

Very good question!

Another clue ..both my brother and I were part of the The Castle Hill Rebellion ( Vinigar Hill ) of 1804 a rebellion by mostly Irish convicts against colonial authority in the Castle Hill area of the British colony of New South Wales.
I was given a free pardon in 1810 after spending 5 hears in a penal colony on the Derwent river in Van Demans land.

My brother John on arrival back in Sydney was also given a free pardon in 1810 and later that same year was given the title of assistant engineer and superintendent of stonemasons.
His major project was the construction of Sydney Hospital.
His importance in public works waned some what after the arrival in 1814 of the convict Francis Greenway and Lieutenant John Watts aid de camp to the Governor . Both Greenway and Watts were architects.

on further reflection :cool: i seem to recall you mentioning..one Murtage Ahearn.. could it be him instead i wonder? :D

Nope not Cunningham.
Murtagh Ahern
In 1819 he became a constable and poundkeep in the Holsworthy district.
A position he held for five years until 1824 when he resigned.
He was married to Mary Ahern Nee Aby also a convict transported for life. The were early settlers to the Liverpool area, first as a hotelier and later running a successful farm along the banks of the Georges river near Liverpool.
They had 17 children together ,Mary died in 1832 reportedly by being spired for refusing to give strong drink to a local Aboriginal and was buried in Liverpool cemetery.
He died in 1852 and was buried beside his wife in what is now the Liverpool Pioneer cemetery.
a book was published in 2013 about his life entitled "Beyond the sea" by one of his direct decendents, Brian Ahern

So sorry to have muddled everyone around.. i misunderstood if i had the next call :8
So here is the Question. I was born in Derbyshire,England and set sail for Australia arriving in 1852! :cool:

Latest posts