Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect Mackka. Sorry, our history books aren't quite correct.

Hargraves was credited for getting the gold rush going and rewarded as such, but he was not the first to record a gold find in Australia. Hargraves even enlisted the knowledge of locals who'd seen gold to find gold. Once there he declared he found it, stating the area reminded him of Californian gold fields (where he was unsuccessful). He himself panned barely an ounce! He took that gold to Sydney to proclaim he'd found gold, leaving his enlisted help to hunt for more. By the time he returned to the Gold Fields they'd found ounces of gold. He even stated that it was never his intention to mine for gold in Australia, but to claim to find it and be rewarded etc. John Lister and James Tom, his enlisted help were later credited with finding the first "goldfield" in Australia.

No, mine isn't answered yet!

On what date was Australia's first "officially recognized" gold find and by whom?

Officially recorded could also be a term for this answer.

Without using Google, A map of North Western Australia was labeled the "Gold Coast" by Europeans sailing past some 200 hundred years before the English settled.

Lancair is essentially correct. That's a good get from memory, and not an altogether easy one to find on Google with the clue I provided.

1530-36. The Dauphin Chart (a map of Australia, date 1530-36), which is preserved in the British Museum, and which is believed to have be reproduced from earlier Portuguese charts, makes it appear probable that the occurrence of gold in Australia was known to the Portuguese and Spaniards more than 350 years ago, for the north-western coast is named on this chart Casta DOuro (Gold Coast).

This extract is taken from Gold, Bulletin No. 7, Department of Mines Geological Survey, Alfred James Kent, Sydney, 1924, by E.J. Kenny.

pp.5-9.

However, it is a long bow to draw, as I don't think there are many gold rich areas on the coast of WA where the early explorers may have landed.

Anyway, over to Lancair.

Thank You.

I apologise if this has been asked, I haven't read through all 137 pages of this thread.

What are the animals used on the Australian Coat of Arms and I guess more importantly, why those two ?

Emu and kangaroo, maybe the reason is that both animals occur in all states and territories? ( not sure about the emu in tas)

Latest posts