Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct Mr Duck sir, you're go. It was what got me interested in the bush at the tender age of about 5.

Thanks, Puddler Bill.... yep, that show had quite an influence on me as a kid and got me interested in all things bush and outback, as did reading Ion Idriess' books like the Great Boomerang and The Cattle King.

Your question inspired me to do a bit of research. Unfortunately, there is no existing footage of Nature Walkabout, as the original film was destroyed and not copied to video. Unfortunately, that was the fate of quite a few great old TV shows.

The music for the series survives, and was composed by Sven Libaek. It featured a lot of great Australian Jazz musos of the time like John Sangster (on vibes), George Golla (guitar) and Don Burrows (brass and woodwind).

Now for a question -----

Which now obscure goldfield in NSW had 6 mines named after the same bloke?

Sorry, this is a hard one, I checked Bonzle, and not all the six mines are mentioned by the bloke's name, two have alternative names that are listed in a printed reference I have. Giving the name of the bloke will make it very easy to find in google, so I'll give a clue.

Clue: the goldfield is in NW NSW, and was discovered around 1898.

You've got it gold pick. Gunderbooka only recorded a total production of 1.9kg, but actual production would have been more than that. There has been some recent exploration out there by Ark Mines and Ozmon resources.

Anyway according to my reference:

"we can even trace this man's history by the names he gave his various mines. Mr Parker must have been a city bred fellow who wanted to get away from it all and search for gold, hence the name of the first mine -Parkers Retreat. Even while he was working this mine he would take a day or two off to prospect the surrounding country - he was always on the lookout - it naturally followed that the name of the second mine should be Parkers Lookout .... but everyone has a bad day now and then, he found his third mine to be costing him more than he was making. This mine was Parkers Downfall. But our Mr Parker was not man to give up easily. His perseverance was amazing; it was only fitting that number 4 mine should be - Parkers Perseverance. It was about this time that Mr Parker was making a name for himself. He was constantly being followed in the bush by other prospectors who wanted to cash in on this man's luck. Mr Parker fond that the only way he could do any prospecting in private was to keep all his movements a secret - his fifth mine was, of course, Parkers Secret. This story has a happy ending. Mr Parker brought all his ability, luck and perseverance together and finally discovered his sixth and final mine, Parkers Reward.

On Bonzle, Parkers Secret is Great Gunderbooka Mine, and Parkers Reward is King Solomon Mine. So there you go!

Lol, I think the mention of Bonzle in the other post was the best hint out of the lot. :)

What South Australian town is famous because of the 2nd World War Battle of the Phillipines, and why?

Battle of the Philippines (194142) ....Douglas MacArthur His famous speech, in which he said, "I came out of Bataan and I shall return", was first made at Terowie, a small railway township in South Australia on March 20

?????

The was a great story about Mr Parker DrD

MacArthur arrived on March 17 at Batchelor Airfield, about 60 miles (97 km) south of Darwin, before flying to Alice Springs, where he took the Ghan through the Australian outback to Adelaide. His famous speech, in which he said, "I came out of Bataan and I shall return", was first made at Terowie, a small railway township in South Australia on March 20. Upon his arrival in Adelaide, MacArthur abbreviated this to the now-famous, "I came out of Bataan and I shall return", was first made at Terowie, a small railway township in South Australia on March 20. Upon his arrival in Adelaide, MacArthur abbreviated this to the now-famous, "I came through and I shall return" that made headlines. [21] Washington asked MacArthur to amend his promise to, "We shall return". He ignored the request. [22] Bataan eventually surrendered on April 9.

Latest posts