Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Duck,

What was the collaboration of prospectors called who first found the load at Broken Hill and what were their names and occupations.

Cheers
Mick

George McCulloch (1848 1907) station manager.
Charles Rasp (1846 1907) a boundary rider, who was interested in prospecting, recognised the importance of the site and pegged out the first mining lease.
Philip Charley (1863 1937) a young man learning to be a sheep farmer, employed as a boundary rider.
David James (1854 1926) a contractor employed to sink water tanks and mend fences.
James Poole (1848 1924) an employee of David James.
George Urquhart (1845 1915) a bookkeeper and overseer
George Lind (1861 1941) a storekeeper.

Syndicate of Seven

Correct Duck,
And the rest, as they say, is History.

This was the start of something BIG.

It opened up what at the time was the world largest deposit of Silver, lead and zinc and was the nucleus of the world largest mining company, BHP.

Broken Hill's massive orebody, which formed about 1,800 million years ago, has proved to be among the world's largest silver-lead-zinc mineral deposits. The orebody is shaped like a boomerang plunging into the earth at its ends and outcropping in the centre. The protruding tip of the orebody stood out as a jagged rocky ridge amongst undulating plain country on either side. This was known as the broken hill by early pastoralists. Miners called the ore body the Line of Lode. A unique mineral recently identified from Broken Hill has been named Nyholmite [5] after one of the city's famous sons Ron Nyholm (19171971).[6]

We really live in a truly amazing place don't we.

Your go Duck

Schooner is from a nautical term, being the biggest one person sailing vessel. Schooner of beer was the biggest in most places until the pint became more common.

Pony was from the old race horse carnivals where they only had time for a small beer between races.

Middy was the ladies glass as it was half a pint.

A Pot is another name for a middy. Haven't a Pot To Pi55 in, ...Etc". Was always a poular saying and when somone said this, somtimes a mate would pass them an empty 10oz (pot) "here now ya got one" It just took off from there.

Yeah Duck I saw that link above while looking for an answer. But the XXXX brothers bit sounded suss .
So i looked at the history of XXXX? That info is just wrong. :)
No such thing as XXXX Brewery, It's made by Castlemaine .

A person named John Willis, of Sydney, a man
between sixty and seventy years of age, died
just above the Golden Point to-day, This is,
I believe, the first death that has ocurred at
these diggings. Willis I understand had been
suffering severely from constipation of the
bowels, and had in consequence taken a heavy
dose of salts, after which dysentery followed,
and carried him off in about ten days, He received medical atttndance, and was also visited
by Bishop Polding, who is now at the Turon,
and behaved with great kindness to the
unfortunate deceased.

27/9/1851

:D

Top research there backcreeek. However I do not know that John Willis has a grave in Sofala. Perhaps he was returned to Sydney
or his grave is unmarked?

There may well have been others who died earlier, and I would assume that would be the case, however this is the oldest known grave on the goldfield.
As a hint, the person in question died in the same year as John Willis, only a few months later

In November 1851 a man named Marcus Lynch, aged twenty-seven years, died from in flammation of the bowels, at Maitland Point, and was buried at Golden Point.

The research you blokes are doing is making this hard. Making for some great reading as I am looking each one up.

We are still looking for the oldest known grave, which I am assuming would indicate that the grave is still intact and its exact whereabouts known.
This grave can be found in the Cemetery of the Anglican church on Turon Terrace.

Mind you, maybe the history book I am reading on Sofala overlooked young Marcus and his grave at Maitland Point or John Willis and wherever he was buried.
Perhaps they went for the easy research using the oldest grave stone in local cemeteries as the oldest known grave.

Got it

Henry Robinson's is the earliest known grave on the Turon, in December 1851 he was drowned by the rising flood waters of Oakey Creek. Claims in the river bed were notoriously dangerous and flash floods were a constant risk.

1372084205_untitled.jpg

Well done headbut, that's the one.

I am currently reading 'Gold and Water. A History of sofala and the Turon Gold Fields'. That is where I got the information.

As with most goldfields, the history of Sofala is incredibly rich and interesting. It is amazing how close Sofala came to having their own bloody
revolution of soughts over the licence fees.

Latest posts